Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op - hormones?

I just had a full on meltdown over something minor (which is out of character for me)... I just bawled for 5 minutes and I was ok again?

Is it normal to experience this after WLS and this early? I have heard that hormones released after surgery can cause that but it feels so strange.

Sent from my Z970 using the BariatricPal App

Oh goodness! You should have seen my post from

This past Saturday when I went nutsoid on my oldest son because he didn't throw some papers out I told him to- and he is 18! Poor kid! I didn't recognize myself.

So the gist is- hormones are stored in fat cells. Lose weight fast- release a crap-ton of hormones into your bloodstream - instant raving lunatic! Lol it passes. Good luck!

Oh my --- I already have a hormone imbalance so I am hoping it doesn't get worse before it gets better. I literally sobbed for five minutes today because I got an email saying that I contacted the wrong Dept of my job to report an fmla confirmation number, and I have irregular periods but I just started mine 2 days post op...and I am 5days post op and lost 13 lbs already (presumably Water weight). I am not sure I was prepared for it all to be happening so fast. I am happy but I am overwhelmed.

Poor thing! It will get better. And there are harder days too, but at some point around 10-14 days out it starts to get a bit more even-keel. And hey! Water weight or fat weight- a loss is a loss! Way to go!!!!

I was a mess after surgery! I felt so incredibly sad and alone even though I knew I had support. I only had my period maybe twice a year before surgery. Now I have no idea when it will hit but the one I had was extremely heavy and miserable recently. We are dealing with all kinds of things. Not using food to cope with those is also a trigger for crazy emotions. I don't know about you but I miss being able to eat! I mean really eat! But, the difference is.... I don't want to eat, I just miss it! I try to distract myself from that kind of thinking because the food I was eating was not helping me. It was not my buddy! It was hurting me inside and out! That has been my biggest hurdle so far! You are doing great! Hang in there! As you get use to our new way of life, it gets a lot easier.

I was a mess after surgery! I felt so incredibly sad and alone even though I knew I had support. I only had my period maybe twice a year before surgery. Now I have no idea when it will hit but the one I had was extremely heavy and miserable recently. We are dealing with all kinds of things. Not using food to cope with those is also a trigger for crazy emotions. I don't know about you but I miss being able to eat! I mean really eat! But, the difference is.... I don't want to eat, I just miss it! I try to distract myself from that kind of thinking because the food I was eating was not helping me. It was not my buddy! It was hurting me inside and out! That has been my biggest hurdle so far! You are doing great! Hang in there! As you get use to our new way of life, it gets a lot easier.

I was a mess after surgery! I felt so incredibly sad and alone even though I knew I had support. I only had my period maybe twice a year before surgery. Now I have no idea when it will hit but the one I had was extremely heavy and miserable recently. We are dealing with all kinds of things. Not using food to cope with those is also a trigger for crazy emotions. I don't know about you but I miss being able to eat! I mean really eat! But, the difference is.... I don't want to eat, I just miss it! I try to distract myself from that kind of thinking because the food I was eating was not helping me. It was not my buddy! It was hurting me inside and out! That has been my biggest hurdle so far! You are doing great! Hang in there! As you get use to our new way of life, it gets a lot easier. :)

I miss eating like i used to so much that I literally watch food videos all the time just to enjoy other people eating. I know it wasn't good for me and it made me sick but I miss it too. :( I'm currently angry at my husband for no real reason this morning and trying to keep it under control...and it is probably just bc of my internal feelings towards everything else.

Sent from my Z970 using the BariatricPal App

I have no idea why my post above posted like 4 times. LOL! I'm not a pro at this as you can see.

I'm so sorry you are having a rough time! I love watching cooking shows. I love to cook. It definitely was not the home cooked meals that made me fat. It was eating out, fast food and convenience foods(junk) that constantly made it to my mouth that did that! Cut yourself some slack! You just had surgery. It gets easier when you feel better and also when you can add more variety of foods in. Your body is still adjusting to having this surgery and so is your mind! I'm 9 weeks out and I'm still adjusting too! If you ever need to talk one on one, I'm on FB as Kats Journey(the picture has 2 swans). :) Hope you feel better soon.