Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm wondering how long would you normally need your support person with you after surgery, or what did your doc suggest? I'm trying to figure out how long my support person will need to take off of work. Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

Support person?

What is this support person of which you speak?

I spent three nights (op Wed - out Sat) in hospital after the op and then a week at the coast by myself...

I would actually have been ok to go back to work on the Monday but had already organized the leave...

There's a fair chance you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be up and about..

Also, bear in mind that I was sleeved at 560 pounds so I was not what you'd consider 'mobile'...

Support person?

What is this support person of which you speak?

I spent three nights (op Wed - out Sat) in hospital after the op and then a week at the coast by myself...

I would actually have been ok to go back to work on the Monday but had already organized the leave...

There's a fair chance you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be up and about..

Also, bear in mind that I was sleeved at 560 pounds so I was not what you'd consider 'mobile'...

Wow! That's awesome you were able to be up and about on your own!

The program I'm in suggests that you have a "support person" to help you with recovery. :)

Edited by anjelikaj

I see...

Well, I'd say you could have someone around for a week or ten days...

I guess it'd be helpful in the case of something going awry...

I do sometimes forget how lucky I was/am with my sleeve...

Yeah, I'd say you'd be pretty much out of trouble by ten days or so...

If in doubt, ask the people who provided the original information...

I'm sure they'll happily let you know what they have in mind...

All the best to you...

And congratulations!!!

I had no support person and did not ever need one. I just made sure that I had done all my household chores requiring heavy lifting and exertion before surgery, and had someone come to change the kitty litter for a couple of weeks (I wasn't allowed to lift anything as heavy as a bag of kitty litter).

Frankly I would not have wanted someone hovering around me . . . plus being active and self-sufficient is good for recovery IMO.

My husband took a week off. He was with me for 6 days after surgery. I wanted him longer though lol. I was a weird case. Pain didn't go away till exactly one month after surgery. I took 3 weeks off of work and I'm glad I did. Good luck!

My husband actually took off the day of surgery (Wednesday), Thursday and Friday. I was in the hospital until Thursday afternoon. So really he could've only taken Friday off. My son was unemployed and was in/out if he could find a side job. I was off the following week (bored to tears).

Like KindaFamiliar I was up and moving and could've gone to work that Monday but I had already scheduled it off so I stayed home :(

I walked a lot, drank Water and ate Protein.

Against my hubby and sons protests I also moved stuff from our big storage shed into our house. We were having a modular home built and it was being completed while we lived in a 25' RV. We moved in 10 days after my surgery. I was toting plastics garbage bags of small items into the house and watching the contractors finish up. Had a pool - couldn't swim, wasn't allowed to mow the yard, dog would've dragged me if I walked him (didn't want to pull any internal stiches). I had to stay busy, I was blessed that I had an easy recovery :D

Yeah - I live by myself and took 3 weeks off but had friends to call if I needed something and i was ok - kitty litter was my issue as well (I divided it into 1 pound zip locks before hand so i could handle :) I was itching to get out to the store by day 3 or 4. I work a ton so the alone time and downtime for me was great :) I did have a friend come over the first day I was eating something for moral support though!

Wow! Thank you, everyone for all the info your shared! It seems that every situation is different. I have 3 kids who need to be driven all over for sports and school. I think if someone could just handle that, I should be ok? lol Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

I didn't have a support person either. I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital so I practically ran from the room to my friends car. I had someone take me to the hospital and they stayed through the surgery to talk to the Doc, and then someone pick me up and bring me home. I went for a short walk the following day. I also drove the next day. My Doc said I could drive as long as I wasn't taking the pain meds. Luckily I didn't need it.

Can't say that will work for everyone, and I'm pretty independent and have a high pain tolerance. Just my story.

my husband took two days off work - surgery day and the next day, then was his weekend. He had FMLA in place in case I needed him more, but I didn't. He was prepared to stay in the hospital if needed, but I didn't need him. :-)

I pray your recovery goes as well as mine has. I was up walking when I got in my room, 10 minutes every hour I was awake, helps so much with the gas.