Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help please

Yes Marie, I will be recieving an Inamed band from Dr Lopez. I just don't understand why if a person trusts the Inamed name and the Inamed product, there would be any uncertain feelings regarding the professionals who run the Inamed company. Like I mentioned, I did extensive research. (I'm sure we all did) What I came up with was a very broad range of diverse oppinions of the diferent doctors performing this surgery. There are as many good things mentioned about each one as there are negative. It is not my nature to mention any names so I won't do that. Having spoken to many physicans,(and maybe I have an advantage since I can speak to them as a colleague and not Pt/Dr.) I have chosen to put my faith in the makers of the product itself. The Inamed doctors.

Having said all that.....Who knows what will happen. Only God knows.

Maybe I should add that although I would have prefered to have the surgery here in the states, I could not find a Dr to touch me since I am a lower BMI Pt. I don't have any professional or private affiliatin with any company or doctor performing this surgery. I am just a private person who wants to get help with my problem.

As it was stated before, this is just a site devoted to sharing the stories of those who have had this procedure. This is mine.

I wish you all peace and happiness.

Hello,

We all wish you the very best as well. When I did my research I contacted Inamed as well for a reference for Dr. Lopez and they sent me a great one too. The problem is I later found out he hasn't been reporting ANY of his problems he has had with patients so Inamed is only giving their reccommendation on the knowledge they have. Since I was banded I know several patients who have had problems ranging from port revision surgery to erosion and have reported their incidences to Inamed. I just had my first fill last week and it ends up my port is totally flipped on its side as well. It didn't happen naturally but was placed in that fashion. The first time I had tried to get a fill they didn't want to use the flouroscopy but after 20 stabs trying to hit the port and having no luck, my aftercare doctor had to reschedule me for the flouro. That worked perfectly. We don't want to sound negative and want you to do what you feel comfortable with but I also just want to warn you that there have been several recent problems concerning this doctor. On another thread this last week we just found out two patients who were banded the same day by him last year just were diagnosed with erosion as well. I don't know if these are just the normal statistics but it did sound odd that they were banded the same day and were diagnosed with erosion the same week. Please keep us posted about how it all goes and best wishes to you, Teresa

Dr. Lopez does not work for Inamed he was trained by Inamed BIG DIFFERENCE..There are many Dr.'s in TJ who were trained by Inamed but as Teresa stated , the problem with Lopez is he is not reporting these cases of port infections and erosions to Inamed it is the patients who have had problems with him and their bands that have reported them to Don Mills personally. Marie did Lopez stop getting Inamed bands? I agree that every Dr. has there issues and problems good and bad I'm sure Dr. Ortiz ( my Dr.)has had his porblems with patients but the fact remains that we are always ONLY hearing about one Dr. out here on ALL of the boards. And we all know what Dr. that is.. Strange coincidence. We are not triyng to scare you from your choice of surgeon but to inform you of al lthat we have heard and learned and read about over the last 6 months about Lopez..You are the one who has to feel comfortable with your choice of surgeons..and it seems by what we have read, that you are..and that is all that matters. You have researched him and feel good about your decision so I wish you the best of luck to& I hope everything works out great for you :D

Thank you for the kind words and support. I am leaving in the morning and will be home (God willing) on Wednesday. I will certainly post and tell you I made it back alive.

You both seem to have good hearts and positive attitudes.

I ate my last meal tonight and was too nervous to enjoy it. I felt like a prisoner on death row. It may sound strange but I am more sad about giving up my be-loved Diet Pepsi than anything else.

Again, thank you for the replies and sweet words.

One last thing.....I was wondering if I could bring my laptop to the hotel? I wonder if the rooms have internet hookup? Anyone know?

I had heard that about ponce de leon but not about Lopez but that may explain that when I was in Dr. Ortiz's office on Monday...Very interesting ..

You're right Michelle. I was mistaken. I deleted that post. I do hope it was only the one Dr. My bad.. Thanks for clarifying.

Good luck, Legally. Travel light, and bring nonrestrictive clothes without waistbands. I second the suggestion about the flip-flops; it's hard to fasten shoes immediately after the surgery. You may feel uncomfortable when you wake up from the procedure and for a few days thereafter, but it does get better, and you'll feel a little stronger every day. Let us know about your experience when you feel ready -- we're rooting for you.

You're not the only one who was worried about giving up soft drinks. I was almost addicted to diet Cokes, but I honestly have not missed them. I now drink diet lemonade or Crystal Light and I'm happy. Best wishes for a speedy and painless recovery.

nancy

Awww, we definitely want to support you and wish the best for you. I just think for myself that I would have saved myself a little stress and worry if I had chosen a different doctor. As I mentioned before, most of this never came to light untill after my surgery but it would have influenced me. Dr. Lopez is very nice when you meet him in person and you will make it thru just fine. I was very stressed as the surgery approached too and sobbed all the way to the operating table. They gave me an anxiety shot and I don't remember a thing afterwards. I was sore the first few days but it does improve a lot in just a few days. None of the pain was unbearable and I was able to walk around the very next morning. I even took a shower and got completely dressed all on my own. I had the WORST diet coke withdrawls the first few weeks. You'll do great and we are all rooting for you!!!! Teresa

The hotel has internet cards available to purchase (cheaply) as well. I know the hospital I used had computers with internet they let me use but never tried my laptop. Not sure about the hospital your using. Did you find their website? Teresa

Went down on Sunday afternoon. Only took 2.5 hours to drive. The staff at the Lucerna could not have been nicer. Very clean with the hardest beds in the entire world. Wished I would have taken better advice and packed lighter. I am sorry I took my laptop. They have internet access in the lobby.

Monday at 10am I was picked up and taken to all my appointments. What a breeze. No problem.

I quized Dr Lopez at great length about all the negatives I had read about him. He was very informative and was able to back up all his facts. He basically said he was willingly to do whatever it took to make me feel comfortable. Dr Lopez is aware of all the topics discussed on this forum and is very keen to remedy any past problems. I thought that was very professional. There are 2 sides to every story. Let's all remember that there is great competition between the doctors in Tijuana. Sad really.

I saw 3 diferent doctors, a cardiologist, a psychologist, radiologist, and others.

Had my surgery at the Lityen clinic which is next door to his office. It is a surgi-center and is EXCELLENT! A person who can have their surgery there really should do it. You need to have a BMI under 40 and no health problems and speak Spainish.

It was sort of like a spa. I was the only person there. I had a nurse and a doctor to myself. I actually told them to leave me alone so I could sleep. They just wanted to do whatever they could for me. Massages etc...Sweet people!

I have to admit....when I first woke up, I wanted to die. I have never felt like that. Combination of the gas pains and nausea. The worst WORST headache from Diet Pepsi withdrawl. With every passing hour I was better. I got up and walked 1 hour after surgery. I spent the night in the Lityen and left the next morning. Took a cab to the border and walked across and another cab to my car. Took 6 hours to get home due to traffic. I wanted to be home so bad. I was home and in my own bed only 27 hours after surgery. I am in love with Dr Lopez's assistant Dr Barba. What a great team! All so helpful and intelligent.

Just wanted to say I was home and alive. Thank you all for your kind words of support. I am excited about the future.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience!! I do hope you got copies of your records, in the event you need a doctor in the states. Will you be doing fills and follow up in Mexico or local to home?