Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Challenge! Go for the Gold!

Julie - I'm 5 or 6 hours by car from Vancouver Canada.......but, I think I may have found something in Vancouver, WA that is just across the river (1/2 hour away) ................busy yesterday and didn't have a chance to really look - think it's the end of April. I'll follow up.

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been around this week. Life gets crazy some times. I knew my weight would bounce up a bit, as it was a lot lower than expected, but still I am 160.6 today so that's okay.

I ran 15 km this morning in 1:41... I am working hard to keep my pace consistent and not to get too tired at the end. Crazy to think that I have to work to not go fast :)

I travel to montreal on Thursay for meetings and am doing the 5km run for the cure on Sunday with my friend who has cancer!!

I hope you are all well.

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/161/148

I did my second half marathon today. 2:05 -- Yes, that's a 9:30 pace for the whole time -- woohoo! Of course, now I'm itching to break the 2 hour mark, but I need to calm down and remember this is "marathon not a sprint" -- haha.

Julie, you just continue to burst through boundaries, setting truly amazing new records. Can you believe that you were born to do this? You had a marathon runner inside of you your entire life and never knew it. You are such an inspiration!

Dawn, it is excellent hearing about your runs. I'm right at the same weight as you, and every day I hear how wonderful I look and how I should not lose more. (I don't believe them, though....I know there are a good twenty more pounds to drop!)

Thanks for checking in even when you are swamped!

Well, Boo, you are lying to me know!!! The scales is not being friendly with me. We are not the same weight as the scales jumped back up again. 162.6.... I guess this is my time to complain and look for some more control. I am determined to get this last 15 lbs off... but at the same time I won't go crazy for it.

I had a good run on the weekend and a fun run with my new puppy ( a stray husky has adopted us!) and that was great fun.

I am going work my a** this week and see how I do about 2:20... we'll see though as I have lots of hills on my route.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Dawn

Banded april 4th, 2006

358/163(argh!!!)/ 148

I am in Montreal from thursday until Wednesday next week.

Julie... you rock and I emulate you like you couldn't possibly believe. My goal for my 1/2 is 1. to finish, 2. to feel good about it 3. to finish in under 2:30 and 4. if the fates are smiling to finish in under 2:15... you have already killed that. Way to go. I figure with my time on my 15 km I can probalbly shoot for

Okay Dawn, you are going to bicker with me over 3 little pounds???? We are the SAME now! Cool, huh? I want those 15-20 more off, also. I'm not gonna do it by nursing my sore leg/ankle. I haven't made much progress this month. In fact, my speed and endurance has worsened. Maybe I will need to start over with a new training mindset. After my ankle was hurt, I just jumped in, expecting to will myself to 6 miles at the regular pace. But it was not smart or realistic to do that. I need more patience and trust that my body will build up again, just like it has in the past.Guess what? I got an unfill today. Now we'll see if I have learned anything or if I am still completely dependent on my band to remind me to eat well. (scared!)

Isn't it wild that I ran 10 miles before work this morning and it was, like, no big deal at all? That's so wild. I think my long-term running plan is to stay trained for a half marathon all the time, meaning I run 9 or so miles at least once a week (and 6 on a normal day). I feel SO GOOD around mile 6-7.

OK, I'm going to say something that's not going to make me popular. Hear me out, ok? Boo, Dawn, do you think maybe your bodies are thin enough? If you work really, really hard and lose 15 more lbs, will you be able to maintain that loss or will you always, always be fighting? Do you want to fight? I'm sure I'm going to need this same talk soon enough! Anyway, all I'm asking you to do is to reassess one last time and make sure you really want to meet your current goals. If you do, I'm here to support you 100%.

I'm off to San Antonio this weekend for a concert. My friend Joel is in the symphony there and they're having a big deal concert this weekend, so off I go. I have to run 20 on Saturday and it's going to be HOT, but I'll get through it. After that, only one more long run before the marathon!

Betty, what are you up to?

Julie and Boo... it is so hard for me to get a handle on my weight. The scales was down (to where it was) today - 159.6. I still think I have weight to lose, but I won't kill myself for it. It is hard as I have extra skin. My size 10 pants I bought are loose on my thighs, but tight on my belly so??? I also want to run better, faster, longer and to do that a few more pounds would help. But... I'll think about it and if the weight is determine to have me around here, than here I will stay. Now, what about you Julie??? Aren't you 10 lbs lighter than me???

I had a great, tough run on Tuesday. Tuesday is my fast 5 km day. I went fast (for me) My time was 27:50 for 5 km, and I just about threw up at the, end and had nothing let in the tank. But that is a pace of 8:575 for a mile, so I was happy, and tired. I am now telling myself that I need to slow it down a bit. I can't keep these knock myself down runs.

Today I did intervals for 30 minutes and that was good. Saturday is my long run 15.5 km, in Montreal... I'll see how it goes there. then Sunday the Run for the Cure (5km) for my dear friend with breast cancer.

I will shop a bit in Montreal (so great for shopping!!!!!)- really very European. And I will let you all know what size I bought.

Bye for now,

Dawn

Banded april 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/160/148

I'm alive and kicking! Been busy. Had a good exercise week, did something every day except yesterday!

I'm at that spot that Julie just talked about - but am still fighting it! I think realisticly this is it - it would be very hard to maintain less than this..........................however I really don't believe it (or want to believe it) yet!!!!!! Every week I say "give it that last push"...............but, so far I have not been able to maintain the push. Don't know when it will finally hit me....................maybe never. Don't know if that's good or bad?

Some local friends are going to train with me for the walking 1/2 marathon.................we're starting off trying to work up to at least 15 miles a week for a few months and then when we accomplish that will start on one of the actual 1/2 marathon training schedules the last 3 months. Hopefully starting next week.

My daughter-in-law's father is in the last stages of a horrible cancer fight - has colon cancer and they were going to go in and give him a colostomy because the tumers are blocking......but they found out last night that they would not even attempt the surgery.............and they are sending him home on hospice............so probably only days for the very wonderful man - he's been as my son would say a "f........warrior" the past few years...........he's a few years older than Alan.............and our other daughter-in-laws father is in a nursing home recovering from bad stuff............he also is a few years older than Alan.................but, it's been making us feel very vulnerable!!!! We might be driving down to Sacramento where our kids live to take care of the kids so my son can be with his wife and family (they live in Sonoma).

Hey everyone,

How is your weekend going?I am in Montreal on business. Today i ran 15.5 k. It was a good run... not easy but fine. Tomorrow is the run for the cure, which I will be doing with my friend who has breast cancer.

I hope you are all healthy and strong.

BTW... new pants... size 10!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/160/148

Betty, I am so sorry. It is good you want to be there for the grandkids! We are ALL at a vulnerable age! Life is full of surprises. But you and Alan make the most of each day. You love each other and your kids. Your lives are full of wonder. And you are taking every 'step' possible to ensure good health.

When are you going to Sacramento? I will be there Thursday and Friday of this week.

As far as the idea of being "thin enough" goes, in April I saw a plastic surgeon to cunsult about getting rid of the flap on my belly. He told me I most likely would not lose any more weight. Well, that made me mad. So I lost ten pounds. I know that I have been stuck here, but I don't think I am finished. I am not hating on myself, though. Life is much more comfortable being normal.

The things that are bothering me are my stomach, and my leg.

I got an unfill on Wednesday and am VERY discouraged. (I was not able to tolerate any medications and had an inflamed esophagus from sinus trouble.) I forgot what it feels like to be hungry and craving all day long. Even though I have not succumbed to any binge or full-size plate of food, my weight has shot up three pounds. This happens every time I have been unfilled. That nervousness of gaining is back. When I thought I had done all of this work and conquered my demons, again, I am reminded that it is the BAND that has afforded me the freedoms which I enjoy. Though I want to run back to the center and get a fill, I really want to try to regulate my eating and learn to be stronger and more disciplined. Can I do it, or am I completely dependent on the band? I don't know, but am going to try it. So right now, my stomach is just too demanding! But at least I can try to take allergy meds and maybe some Zoloft for a while.

Now for the leg...there is a severe tightness and knotting from my hip to my knee. I've been running with it from the beginning, but it has gotten worse. Supposedly it is caused by a herniated disc in my back. I just don't know and need to see another doctor. But the ankle is good to go!

Yesterday I went on a 3-hour hike up to the top of the mountain/hill behind my home. (Mountain compared to the Ozarks, hill compared to the Rockies) There was a breathtakingly beautiful view at the top! I have found the additional activity I have been looking for! I won't give up running, but just need something else to get excited about.

Sorry I have not checked in as regularly. Things are crazy here until November!

Let's kick some butt in October!!!

Dawn, that is a great time on your 5K! (No more throwing up, though.) Wow!

Julie, I'm excited about NY!

Dawn, I'm 4 inches shorter than you, so I get to be 40 lbs lighter than you before we are comparable in terms of final goals. Then throw on that I had 12 lbs of skin taken off my stomach and I get to be 52 lbs lighter than you before we're comparable. Throw on the 10 I'm going to lose in 34 days (yes, I'm counting the days now) and I'll need to be 62 lbs lighter than you to be comparably thin. Crazy, huh.

I ran 20 miles on Saturday. It took me almost 4 hours (11:30 pace) in the 90+ degree San Antonio heat, but it was a good run. I'm sunburned. Only one more long run before the marathon. I feel good though. Like, if I can do 20, I can probably do 26.2.

I'm not losing weight though. I'm mostly ok with that, but I do think my body's switched into maintenance mode. Part of it is eating so much more with all the miles (I'm running about 45/week now), part of it is being close to the finish line in terms of final weights, part of it is less than ideal food choices on my part. I'm making a push on the last of those this week. I need proper nourishment for my body. I have to remember that.

Meanwhile, I've met someone I'm really interested in on the dating front. I'm kind of holding my breath waiting to see if it's turning into something real or not.

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is a whole new world right now.

Woohoo Julie - I'm so exciting for you about the dating game! Your new world will only get better and better. Keep us posted - with details! Getting excited for you regarding your PS! Getting excited about your Marathon.................go Julie. So much excitement right now - wow you must be spinning!

Boo - being unfilled sucks! I did not like it at all..................made me upset that I did not have "it" under control..............but, that is why I got the band............hopefully I'll have it forever!!!! These bodies of ours just don't always want to be in the best of shapes (health wise that is - pains, bruises) I know with me age and the extra weight I carried for so many years has taken it's toll............just hope we can check it in the bud and that aging slows down a bit with all the good stuff we are doing for ourselves.

Don't know when we'll be in Sacramento yet Boo..........Courtney's Dad is still haning on.............just waiting to get the call that they need us.................so far they're handling it OK without us.

Well I'm back trying to "hit it" again. Put on the Bodybugg today to start the new month.................plan on tracking those calories in and out..................starting my 1/2 marathon walking training..............or at least to start for the first 2 or 3 months - walk an hour (about 3 miles) daily in addition to getting back to my at least 4 times a week NIA class and at least 2 times a week strength training!!!!!! - I did slack off a bit during the summer. After the new year if all goes well with my bodies ability to keep up - I'll start the 1/2 marathon training schedule that I found on-line. Julie, I'm still planning on doing that 1st week in April here in town and if you still want to plan on coming out I'll do another one with you................like I said there is another in Eugene (where the U of Oregon is) that is walker friendly as well. It's on May 4th, 2008 (Eugene Marathon). Boo want to join us???? Dawn????? I know all you poor working youngins don't exactly have the free time that I do!

Betty, do you really think you're going to want to do 2 half marathons within about a month of each other? That's actually the perfect timing for me, in terms of my recovery. Let's talk it through some more....

It's official -- I haven't lost a single pound in a month. This might be the end of the road. Let's see -- I ran 140 miles last month. At 125 cals per mile, that's 18,200 "extra" cals burned, or 5.2 lbs. WOW -- seems like you should burn more than 5 stinking pounds running those kind of miles, doesn't it. Anyway, since I didn't lose (or gain), that means I'm taking in more calories than my body burns on its own without this level of exercise. That's a scary thought. Guess I'm going to have to keep running to even stay this size.