Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All!

I had my mind set on getting the sleeve until I went yo my first pre op appointment. My dr wants to do the SIPS procedure. I have never heard of it. Can you all let me know if you all have it it? If so, please flood me with information.

If I had it to do over & the single-anastomosis duodenal switch had been available when I had my sleeve in 2013, I hope I would have done that rather than the sleeve. The amount of malabsorption with the classic DS scared me then & still does. I did lose close to 100 pounds after the sleeve & then a panniculectomy but regained about 20 pounds. I had a revision of the sleeve & then the SA-DS on December 29, 2015, & am now down 115 pounds from my pre-sleeve starting weight. I’d like to get down to the goal weight I have on my ticker, 155, because that would put me in the “normal” BMI range. But I’d be thrilled to get down to 163 which was my lowest adult weight about 43 years ago. With this SA-DS, I just might make it!

Edited by Peggy D

Hi,

I had SIPS back in June 2015. My mind was set on having the sleeve, however, when I went to see my surgeon, he told me about the great results he has seen with SIPS. I researched and read and talked with whoever I could that had this surgery. My biggest reason why I went with SIPS, is because I have seen so many people gain weight again after the sleeve. I know how I am when it comes to food, so I was looking for a more permanent solution. SIPS seemed to make more sense for me. I am very happy to say, I am NOT sorry one bit I had this surgery. To date I have lost a total of 114 lbs. I'm down from a size 24 to 14!

Here are some facts you need to know about first. You MUST take your Vitamins daily. You MUST get in your 80-100 gms of Protein per day. Your body will tell you when you eat the "wrong" foods, especially high in fat. (Gas & Diarrhea). Also, Exercise! Once you start losing the weight, it will be much easier to exercise.

If there is anything specific you want to know, just let me know! Good Luck to you!

On 03/07/2016 at 20:13, Peggy D said:

If I had it to do over & the single-anastomosis duodenal switch had been available when I had my sleeve in 2013, I hope I would have done that rather than the sleeve. The amount of malabsorption with the classic DS scared me then & still does. I did lose close to 100 pounds after the sleeve & then a panniculectomy but regained about 20 pounds. I had a revision of the sleeve & then the SA-DS on December 29, 2015, & am now down 115 pounds from my pre-sleeve starting weight. I’d like to get down to the goal weight I have on my ticker, 155, because that would put me in the “normal” BMI range. But I’d be thrilled to get down to 163 which was my lowest adult weight about 43 years ago. With this SA-DS, I just might make it!

Peggy now that your 4.5 years out from the VSG to sips revision how is everything going? I haven’t seen anyone else on these boards that far out from revision. Any updates on lifestyle, weight loss or regain, bathroom antics. Curious bc I am considering a VSG to sips revision. Thank you!

I am 3 years 8 months out from revision of the sleeve & SA-DS & still wish I could have done it sooner - actually about 30 years sooner! :lol:

I did, finally, hit my lowest adult weight of 162.8 a few weeks ago and generally stay about 165. About a year ago I did regain 25 lbs or so but then lost it, losing 13.6 lbs during a trip to Europe, the rest has just gradually come off. Of course, being older, the distribution of weight is a lot different than it was 40+ years ago. The only way I'm going to get rid of the stubborn fat on my abdomen & thighs is with liposuction.

My co-morbidities did finally resolve for a couple of years after the revision but the diabetes & hypertension have returned. They are no where near what they were, though. I do still get episodes of diarrhea & have to be very careful about what I eat.

All that being said, I would not have had the revision if I hadn't still had the co-morbidities.

On 08/21/2019 at 07:36, Peggy D said:

I am 3 years 8 months out from revision of the sleeve & SA-DS & still wish I could have done it sooner - actually about 30 years sooner! :lol:

I did, finally, hit my lowest adult weight of 162.8 a few weeks ago and generally stay about 165. About a year ago I did regain 25 lbs or so but then lost it, losing 13.6 lbs during a trip to Europe, the rest has just gradually come off. Of course, being older, the distribution of weight is a lot different than it was 40+ years ago. The only way I'm going to get rid of the stubborn fat on my abdomen & thighs is with liposuction.

My co-morbidities did finally resolve for a couple of years after the revision but the diabetes & hypertension have returned. They are no where near what they were, though. I do still get episodes of diarrhea & have to be very careful about what I eat.

All that being said, I would not have had the revision if I hadn't still had the co-morbidities.

Thank you for responding! Have you had to deal with any Vitamin deficiency during this time? Curious also at this point aside from the occasional diarrhea has the bathroom returned to normal? Any foods that you must stay away from? Also did the Dr. do the revision without touching the sleeve? That’s what my Dr. is talking about doing. Finally differences between your self care/ tips for post Revision life for SIPs versus our original sleeve surgery? Thank you again for responding- I’ve only found one other actively posting person on this board with a VSG to sips revision that did not have the sleeve touched. :)

I clearly said "revision of the sleeve & SA-DS" so, yes, the surgeon "touched" the sleeve.

Considering I suffered with chronic Constipation for 60+ years, "the bathroom" as not returned to "normal," whatever that is. The diarrhea is not occasional, it's several times a week &, usually, I cannot pinpoint a trigger. It's something I deal with & wish I didn't have to.

I have not had any Vitamin deficiencies. I do take 2 Multivitamins, 4 calcium citrate & 50 mg zinc a day as well as additional Vitamin A & D every other day.

And I am certainly not actively posting.

Ok. Seems I misinterpreted how that was written and your revision process is different than what my Dr. is recommending for me. Thank you for taking the time to respond.