Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mind games & tricks to keep it fun, challenging and motivating

Please only respond with encouragement and positivity. I feel like I am isolated, alone, bored and stuck in a monotonous rut, in my life as well as my workouts and have few options to change this. The last time I posted a topic like this, someone even had the gall to say it was amusing!! NOT helpful!!

Looking for mind games & tricks to help me feel more positive and keep things fun & challenging.

I am working out at my maximum ability 70 minutes each morning, 7 days a week.

EVERY morning, I wake, put on workout clothes, leg braces and ankle braces. Then 17.5 minutes recumbant bike, 17.5 mins treadmill at 10% incline (the highest it will go) at 3.2 mph (the fastest that I can go)

Then drink my coffee while I check e-mail. Back on the treadmill for 2 more 17.5 min workouts. These small increments work well for me as I get bored easily, and start thinking of what ELSE I could be doing, lol!

In warm weather only, as I have severe Raynaud's caused by ankylosing spondylosis, I enjoy walks on the back roads near my house.

The rest of the day, I am either alone in the house, helping a friend for 3.5 hours a few day a week in her deli, shopping/couponing, cooking or watching TV with my sis (who would really rather just be alone) Her & I are polar opposites, she prefers to be sedentary & alone while I prefer to be busy & social. Where I live, the only social opportunities are bars :rolleyes:

I am on a waiting list for an apartment complex for disabled & elderly people. Hopefully that will provide more opportunity for socializing and staying busy. I may even be able to help people with errands, plus there will be places to walk to providing more exercise opportunities.

In the meantime, I'm trying to stay motivated, challenged and not sink into a depression that I feel coming on. Watching movies on DVD's helps somewhat with exercise boredom as it eliminates my perception of time and provides distraction.

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

Hi, i dont know how helpful this will be - are you able to have a pet? Walking the dog, laughing at the cat or arguing with a bird, meditating with aquarium fish? Of course, this comes from a person with many animals who volunteers in a shelter. Best way out of boredom is to help others. You already help a friend at her deli. Is ther other charity work? Or craft work, knitting bonnets and booties for premature babies, painting timber toys for a charity raffle or donate to some child organisation. Visit the elderly in a nursing home, or read this site, and as a veteran think of ways to help us newbies. You cook, do you have recipes that we can use? You have suceeded, we are only just starting. Buy some ridiculous clothes, something you have always dreamed of but never been game to wear, the hidden flower child, the biker chick, the hayseed, anything. Dye your hair, something special for you, have that facial wax so you dont look like a werewolf . Go into nature and wonder at the beauty of it. My dog of 16 years died last thursday and i am also trying to be positive to give myself the best chance at this. The only person in my house just tells me WLS is wrong, that hurts but you know what? When i lose weight, every day I'll smile! Love to you.

I have found that books on tape can be great motivators for exercise. The first time I did the Couch 2 5K, more than 10 years ago, I would check out books on tape of Nevada Barr mysteries and only listen to them while i was running on the treadmill. I wanted to know what was going to happen next which really kept me motivated to workout. I was VERY diligent about not letting myself listen unless I was working out so it was a special treat when I worked out. :) I have since read Nevada Barr's books numerous time, so now I listen to other mystery authors instead. Its very helpful especially on longer runs.

pam

Since you watch tv, can you try some streaming exercise videos or music videos?

Pre-op, I got an exercise pediatric and peddled it with my hands while watching tv.

Are you able to go out at all? Do you have access to a pool?

I joined our local hospital's wellness center and swim and attend classes. There is something available for just about any physical challenge and it is a very social place.

Just getting out of isolation can help. Maybe you could join a book club (try your local library) or online.

If you are housebound can you see if you can have more people visit. Maybe you could host a book club or other interest group.

Hi, i dont know how helpful this will be - are you able to have a pet? Walking the dog, laughing at the cat or arguing with a bird, meditating with aquarium fish? Of course, this comes from a person with many animals who volunteers in a shelter. Best way out of boredom is to help others. You already help a friend at her deli. Is ther other charity work? Or craft work, knitting bonnets and booties for premature babies, painting timber toys for a charity raffle or donate to some child organisation. Visit the elderly in a nursing home, or read this site, and as a veteran think of ways to help us newbies. You cook, do you have recipes that we can use? You have suceeded, we are only just starting. Buy some ridiculous clothes, something you have always dreamed of but never been game to wear, the hidden flower child, the biker chick, the hayseed, anything. Dye your hair, something special for you, have that facial wax so you dont look like a werewolf . Go into nature and wonder at the beauty of it. My dog of 16 years died last thursday and i am also trying to be positive to give myself the best chance at this. The only person in my house just tells me WLS is wrong, that hurts but you know what? When i lose weight, every day I'll smile! Love to you.

Thanks for your reply. I do have 2 cats, can't have a dog. I do many of the things you mentioned. Volunteer opportunities are few, in this area and require many hours of training which won't allow me to help at the deli. The money I make there is crucial to survival, as SSDI only barely covers my expenses. Outside is not possible unless it's over 80 degrees. But in the summer I greatly enjoy being out in nature and enjoy long walks. I just have a lot of energy and few outlets besides the routine workout.

I have found that books on tape can be great motivators for exercise. The first time I did the Couch 2 5K, more than 10 years ago, I would check out books on tape of Nevada Barr mysteries and only listen to them while i was running on the treadmill. I wanted to know what was going to happen next which really kept me motivated to workout. I was VERY diligent about not letting myself listen unless I was working out so it was a special treat when I worked out. :) I have since read Nevada Barr's books numerous time, so now I listen to other mystery authors instead. Its very helpful especially on longer runs.

pam

I'm actually looking into that as I thought it would be a great idea. In the meantime, movies on DVD are awesome!

Since you watch tv, can you try some streaming exercise videos or music videos?

Pre-op, I got an exercise pediatric and peddled it with my hands while watching tv.

Are you able to go out at all? Do you have access to a pool?

I joined our local hospital's wellness center and swim and attend classes. There is something available for just about any physical challenge and it is a very social place.

Just getting out of isolation can help. Maybe you could join a book club (try your local library) or online.

If you are housebound can you see if you can have more people visit. Maybe you could host a book club or other interest group.

Thanks for the great ideas!

I actually only watch TV, because my sis has it on, lol. I'd rather be active and doing something. Our internet is VERY limited, so streaming is not an option. The local hospital is a joke, and offers nothing, lol! My A.S. limits arm movements so the hand cycle is out. No pool within several hours drive.

No one can fathom how trapped I am at the moment, by finances, location, social opportunities and disabilities. I really have looked into so many options, but there are none. That's why I'm not looking for suggestions, mainly just ways to change my mindset until I get that apartment. That is why people found my post amusing, because they have no idea how hard I try to get out of isolation or meet people or find activities social or otherwise to do.

I feel for you. My experience is that when life overwhelmes you it is very difficult to see a way out. I felt like that when nursing a quadreplegic elderly Mother. You know, the mindset change could be the same process you used to lose all of your weight. Whatever you did then, worked! Can you adapt it to your current situation?

If I say, just try to go with the flow, i can imagine your reaction - not helpful but if you can it could help a bit. Usually after these difficult periods in life, we get a bonus, almost a reward. Likewise when we have a really good run at life, the sideswipe is coming, lol.

It is old fashioned, but chin up. You obviously have courage, determination and a great sense of humour. I suppose you have imagined all the new redecorating for your unit? Sorry i cant help you more. I have yet to achieve what you already have, this will pass. Good luck.

@TheRealMeIsHere!, I apologize up front, as I just don't have time to read beyond your initial message. I'll just scribble what occurs to me.

If the apartment complex has a gym and, even better, a number of trainers, it may be open to non-residents. I'm guessing that the complex has some connection to the federal government, which in turn makes me think there's a possibility. There may be other, similar residential.

If you are on SSD due to your medical conditions and have a Medicare HMO, many of the plans offer a free gym program called Silver Sneakers. The classes are offered at community centers, Y's and even some private gyms. Membership in SS gives you access to all locations in your area. You can check for your area at the website.

http://www.silversneakers.com

If you're wanting more variety for your workouts, chair exercises are a valid workout. If you google 'chair exercises,' you should find a raft of results. Your public TV station may show the series, 'Sit and Be Fit.' A friend who is an athlete attended a chair exercise class of some sort with her mother and reported that it really was a workout. I realize that you're probably familiar with these, but no harm in mentioning them.

I feel for you. My experience is that when life overwhelmes you it is very difficult to see a way out. I felt like that when nursing a quadreplegic elderly Mother. You know, the mindset change could be the same process you used to lose all of your weight. Whatever you did then, worked! Can you adapt it to your current situation?

If I say, just try to go with the flow, i can imagine your reaction - not helpful but if you can it could help a bit. Usually after these difficult periods in life, we get a bonus, almost a reward. Likewise when we have a really good run at life, the sideswipe is coming, lol.

It is old fashioned, but chin up. You obviously have courage, determination and a great sense of humour. I suppose you have imagined all the new redecorating for your unit? Sorry i cant help you more. I have yet to achieve what you already have, this will pass. Good luck.

You are helpful, if only for the simple fact that you offered understanding rather than suggestions that are not options. Thank you!

I am trying to just go with the flow until I am able to move. The monotony is soooo hard, though. I'm terrified that I'll actually stop working out, due to boredom. I'm sure I won't, because I know where complacency will lead. I certainly NEVER want to give in to complacency in my exercise or diet. I just need more variety and ways to feel challenged.

That is why I'm looking for mind games that people play to make a workout feel challenging. My motivation really needs an upgrade.

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

No need to be sorry. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, even though short on time!

I am not in the apartment complex yet, that is why I am so limited in social opportunities and keeping busy. Until my name comes up on a waiting list, I am trapped in a situation where I have no options.

I really just want to get ideas for some mind games I can play with myself to make my workouts feel more fun & challenging, But not sure how to go about that

You are helpful, if only for the simple fact that you offered understanding rather than suggestions that are not options. Thank you!

I am trying to just go with the flow until I am able to move. The monotony is soooo hard, though. I'm terrified that I'll actually stop working out, due to boredom. I'm sure I won't, because I know where complacency will lead. I certainly NEVER want to give in to complacency in my exercise or diet. I just need more variety and ways to feel challenged.

That is why I'm looking for mind games that people play to make a workout feel challenging. My motivation really needs an upgrade.

Do you have a fitness tracker?

I got one for Christmas because I swim, but it tracks all my activity.

One game you can play is to punch in the air. I do sets of eight adding eight every repetition. So I punch in the air: 8 times, then 16 times, 24 times, 32 times, 40 times, etc. I do that periodically throughout the day and it really adds up on my activity tracker.

You could find out how far someplace is away from you and track your walking or biking distances on a map until you reach the equivalent distance.

You could listen to books on tape while you peddle.

You could go on a photo safari and take pictures when you take your walks.

Do you do anything creative? Like: draw, knit, write, etc. If you incorporate a creative activity or hobby into your day you may not get so bored and unmotivated.

I realize that you are isolated, but do check out what may be available through your county: library, county extension, churches, etc. There has got to be something besides bars.

@@Inner Surfer Girl Thanks for the great ideas! Once warm weather comes those are things I enjoy. For now, anything outside is just too painful, due to Raynaud's.

There really is nothing in this county, except a lot of closed & abandoned businesses, lol!

That is why, the only thing I can change is my thinking. I need to find a way to motivate & challenge myself from within, in my current situation.

@InnerSurferGirl - Love these ideas! Especially the one of figuring out how far away something is and then walking that equivalent distance on the treadmill. Very creative!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

@InnerSurferGirl - Love these ideas! Especially the one of figuring out how far away something is and then walking that equivalent distance on the treadmill. Very creative!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

YES, that is awesome!! And I may get a tracker, that might be motivating as I can set a daily goal and challenge myself that way.