Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is the truth about the band

YOU ARE THE BEST>....perhaps some of you experienced bandsters can get off your high horse and start learning from others on this site.....THIS GIRL gets it...

But I like my high horse! It's pretty, and pink with sparkly bits. And best of all, it has wings!! :)

OK folks I must be odd person out here. I am not spending time throwing up and yes I do have the lump like feeling my my throat. I can eat Soups but only creams or broths because I ahve not had a fill as of yet and I am still healing on the inside. I am now into the pureed foods section of my binder and I have pureed, tyson 2 oz chicken in the can, I added just a squirt of Ranch dressing from South Beach and a pinch of sweet relish and blended that all up in my magic bullet, it was tough going but I managed to eat about an ounce or so and then it got to me, I did the same thing with my tuna, it was not too bad and well the dog enjoyed the leftovers lol. I cannot eat scrambled eggs like in the past for it makes me just sick, I have tried oatmeal, grits and my beloved cream of wheat and well forget all of those. I don't have a problem with my hubby eating in front of me because I am the one that makes his meals and well that is the hardest thing to do wanting to nibble but standing tough. I don't know what life will be like for me once I get my fills but maybe just being able to eat something normal might help make me feel human again

No, you are not the odd person out. Honestly.

And newbie's need no know what can possible happen...I'm sure more of you had what I went through but conveniently forgot about it because you are so happy to have lost weight...whatever

Yes. That was exactly it. I just don't remember spending days over a toilet! I knew I forgot something!!

And for the person who said that 99% of bandsters dont PB, BULLSHIT, how the hell did you come up with that statistic???

I think was was meant (and who ever it was who said it, feel free to correct me) was that PB'ing everything and spending hours over the toilet wasn't normal. A good majority of bandsters will never go through that.

Vancouvergirl, so far, has been the only one, who is like me, afraid to go against the grain and SPEAK up...I for one, dont care if I "belong" to your group of friends since I have a home, a husband, a business, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a cat and many many friends that I occupy my time with...

Yep. I feel the same way. I have a great life and family. Great huh?

As for all of you that think you "helped" me by telling me to get an unfill....sorry people, I have a brain and I use it and I can figure things out for myself, I was mostly venting and not lookingn for support, good thing, because I sure as hell didnt get any.

Eh, you were either going to do something about your situation, or you were going to continue to suffer. It's not my body. I only offered a suggestion as to what I would do in your shoes.

I remember another thread about someone who was cheating on her preop diet and 99% of you told her to"get back on track", drink your shakes and make sure you eat healthy...>WHAT??? If any of you could do that, you wouldnt have needed the band in the first place...

The pre op diet is about shrinking the liver so it is smaller, and less fatty and easier to move without causing major bleeding during surgery. In this case, getting back on the wagon, and trying really, really hard for the week or two that is required is not only a good idea, but actually a requirement of some surgeons. If they think for even a second you have fallen off the pre op diet wagon, some docs will cancel surgery. So it's not advice that is useless.

Instead of telling her that it was okay and its normal to have cheated, you all scolded her for going off her diet and "being Bad"...Noone except for me emphatised with her...instead you all made her feel that she was a failure for cheating on her pre op diet...

Remember, if any of you had self control in the first place, you wouldnt have that little saline-filled silicone band around your stomach...so stop belittling people if they dont follow their pre op diets...whatever planet you guys are on....come back down to earth...REALITY

Yeah, I don't know what thread you are talking about (a link would be nice) But really. Cheating on the pre op diet, while it does happen, it's not a good thing. It can affect your liver, and as a result the surgery. So while the delivery may not have been as gentle as you may have liked. There is a reason behind the need for the pre op diet, and why it needs to be stuck to so closely.

And yes. I do remember my lack of self control. I am pleased that I am at the stage where my little piece of silicone, even when unfilled, can give me control over the volume of my food. I don't recall belittling anyone. But if I have, I can only apologise.

You probably wont hear from me again....I am so UNLIKE you guys and to be frank, this forum doesnt inform me of anything useful.

The last thing I have to say is YES, VANCOUVER Girl, I feel that I am in good company too since it seems that we are the only ones on this board that LIVE IN REALITY...THANK YOU SO MUCH

I hope you find peace and have nothing but success. Good luck.

Eeek. Maybe this wasn't a good thread to learn some of the experiences when I am still feeling so nervous.

I didn't have any complications. Never even received pain medication after the surgery. Everyone is different and some people handle going under and surgery better.

Drama Drama Drama

I think everyone needs to remember that everyone is different. No two people are going to recover the same or handle banding or fills the same. I am two weeks post banding. I am now on soft foods. I can eat anything that I could eat if I did not have teeth (per my doctor). I have not ONCE felt nauseated, sick or had a "PB". I know it is early but so far so very very good. I dont feel all that hungry either. I have lost a total of 20 pounds and feel like this is the smartest thing I have ever done! That doesnt mean it is the same for everyone. I think this board is a great place to get information and support. We do live in America and everyone is entitled to their opinion....and to state their opinion. Even if others don't agree. Maybe the people who feel they have been wronged should remember that when you put your feelings and thoughts out there, maybe, just maybe someone might disagree!! Thats life!!

Drama drama drama......

Eeek. Maybe this wasn't a good thread to learn some of the experiences when I am still feeling so nervous.

Coo

This thread is as good as any - you will learn here that people have strong opinions - Some people think that supporting them equates to telling them it ok to continue with bad habits and that it's ok to make a statement that "the truth about the band is that you will spend all your time over the toliet." This is what was objected to - it was her truth but not the truth for everyone and that's what this whole discussion has been about. IMHO i think you will find more positive opnions than negative ones on this board...

You would only spend time over the toliet if you are too tight or if you eat too fast or if you don't chew well or if you eat too much or if the food you are trying to eat doesn't agree with your band. Some people can't eat certian foods - bread - rice - Pasta - chicken etc - I for one can eat anything i want - I have restriction - I choose to eat healthy - lots of fish (i like it) veggies - brown rice etc. IMHO the band is a great tool - but it's only that - a tool - the band its self isn't going to make you lose weight - only you can do that by choosing healthy foods - you can't keep eating high fat - high sugar foods - the band will let you eat these things and if you choose to continue to eat in this manner you aren't going to be a band success story.

It was stated if you could do this pre-band then you wouldn't need the band - to a point i agree as the band is a Portion Control device but thats all it is - you control the calories - if you want to be successfull you have to make a committment to changing your eating habit and add exercise into your life. It's not that one piece of cake that made you fat - it was eating the whole damn thing. You can still have cake, candy, fried foods - but only occassinally - not ever day. You have to allow wiggle room (not room enought for another person) to live a normal life - but you have to retrain your brain too.

The band is no diff than any other program out there - Some will succeed on WW - Jenny Craig - LA Weight - Bypass & Lapband surgery - but there are those who didn't continue with their committment to change their eating habits and they will not succeed. Again this is my personal opinion formed from the data on the band and bypass - there are people out there that were either banded or had bypass and have put all the weight they lost back on - Why - did the surgery fail (they would like you to beleive that it did - but it didn't - the tool worked ) it was the person who chose to go back to their unhealthy eating habits. Plain and simple.

Read all you can - and take it all in - both positive and negative but remember - just like with anything else - you can walk out your front door and get hit by a truck - but that doesn't mean everyone who walks out their front door is going to..

Good luck on your journey... I love my band !!! :)

Indiogirl.... Very well put... You have said it very eloquently...

I am to be banded in 2 more weeks and I have been reading, reading and more reading for the past 2 months on the site and I feel very comfortable in the knowledge I have gained here...

Indiogirl.... Very well put... You have said it very eloquently...

I am to be banded in 2 more weeks and I have been reading, reading and more reading for the past 2 months on the site and I feel very comfortable in the knowledge I have gained here...

Thanks Nickaknut;) - I don't know about eloquently:rolleyes: - but in plain old english that everyone can understand (as long as you can read it like i thought it not necessarily typed it :biggrin1: - i will mean know and type no etc cant spell or type half the time)

Between my doctor - seminar and this and 2 other boards (Like this one the best) I gained alot of knowledge - plus now i am banded and can tell people my experience with the band.

I can't stress enought you gotta change your eating habits and exercise - it seems like alot of people don't get it - you gotta get your Protein - you gotta follow your doctors order.... i could go on and on - infact - I think there is a rant about this stuff.

Good Luck and I will be seeing you around and talking to you later

XOXOX

Janet

I have only been banded three weeks, so I dont want to come off as though Im experienced, but I didnt know about all the little quirks I would have trying to get semi-soft foods down but, I think the band is great in the aspect that we are forced to make changes that we could not make without the band. I haven't had sweets before my band, and have not been able to tolerate most things after, so as of now I have no desires for those things that were my biggest downfall. I have not been filled, but I have lost 10 pds so far, and I believe I lost a lot of fat, so modifying my eating habits, for me is a minute sacrifice for a waistline

I am 50 an just starting my journey. One fear I have is thowing up. Do you get sick alot? What foods did you find you could eat at first.

Pattie6

I was banded on July 3rd. I've felt nauseated a couple of times, and a couple of times I've had to slow down because I was eating too fast and nearly got food stuck. Other than that, I've not had ANY problems.

I have no doubt that the OP thought she was telling us "the truth about the lapband." I have no doubt that it was the truth for her, albeit highly dramatized and exaggerated (after all, if she'd been spending ALL of her time over the toilet, she wouldn't have time to get online). Unfortunately, her "truth" wasn't everyone else's "truth." That was the problem. She stated her experience as if it was everyone's experience, and it WASN'T and ISN'T.

Yes, newbies should be exposed to the good, the bad, and the ugly. But there is no need to try and scare them intentionally and unnecessarily. The fact is, most bandsters don't experience anything like she described, at least not to anywhere near that extent. If they did, the FDA would never have approved the band.

I know this sounds like a goofy question but what is "PB" mean. I tried to scroll back for the answer. Pattie, I dont think you should be nervous, I think that the experience mentioned earlier is probably rare. Experiences vary. My girlfriend had the surgery last year(she looks great) occasionally gets nauseated. Which I think is a part of her not consistently breaking old eating habits such as stopping when full instead of trying to finish off her plate. I had surgery on 9-11, and had pain the first week and a half and that it for my bad experience, I had that feeling of food being stuck with certain types of food, but I dont eat that anymore. tuna is my friend. But I personally have not had any nausea, and I have not ever vomited.

PB, the productive burp, is misnamed. It is when something gets stuck and won't go through the banded area. First you might "slime", a somewhat fascinating thing the body does...producing a very thick saliva to try to get the food to go on through. Then if it doesn't, it might pop back out. It's not as gross as vomiting because you have no digestive juices coming back up so it isn't painful or bitter tasting. The food essentially pops back up looking pretty much the way it did when it goes in. It's a reminder to either chew more, eat more slowly, or something else. You'll find after you do it the first time, you'll forever more check where the bathroom is when you enter a restaurant, and try to sit close to it. After a while, you get educated about your finicky best friend the band, and hoepfully stop PBing.