Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is the truth about the band

Wow, alysedg23, you're coming off pretty negatively to the others on this thread :tea: It's valuable to people like me who are in the research phase to see all the sides of the possible effects of the band, but you're coming off kind of snippy.

I do agree that it seems like your post is fashioned in a "this is how it is and always will be for everyone" feeling. I'm sure you didn't intend that, it's just the way it came off. I also agree that criticizing anyone on this board's weight loss is cruel and crass and since you're here in this supportive environment, maybe you could try to be more supportive?

It sucks that you're having such negative side effects from the band, it really does. I sincerely hope my experience in different. It is important for me and others like me to read this, though, to have an idea of possibilities. But this also means that all the success stories and tales of a short recovery period could also it into this variable "take it into consideration" view.

Is there something else bothering you that you'd like to talk to us about? I've found so much support here, even when my issues didn't relate to the band at all. We're a bunch of good listeners, promise :)

Wow, alysedg23, you're coming off pretty negatively to the others on this thread :tea: It's valuable to people like me who are in the research phase to see all the sides of the possible effects of the band, but you're coming off kind of snippy.

I do agree that it seems like your post is fashioned in a "this is how it is and always will be for everyone" feeling. I'm sure you didn't intend that, it's just the way it came off. I also agree that criticizing anyone on this board's weight loss is cruel and crass and since you're here in this supportive environment, maybe you could try to be more supportive?

It sucks that you're having such negative side effects from the band, it really does. I sincerely hope my experience in different. It is important for me and others like me to read this, though, to have an idea of possibilities. But this also means that all the success stories and tales of a short recovery period could also it into this variable "take it into consideration" view.

Is there something else bothering you that you'd like to talk to us about? I've found so much support here, even when my issues didn't relate to the band at all. We're a bunch of good listeners, promise :)

Wendy - You are so KIND..... PROPS TO YOU for demonstrating what this board is all about - SUPPORT - FRIENDSHIP etc.. Ranting and Raving too...

I just had to let you know that I was moved by your insightfulness and thoughtfullness and want to let you know what a wonderfull person you are

Janet

Oh wow, thank you! :tea: I didn't realize there were 5 pages to this thread until I hit Post Reply and saw I was at the top of page 5! I haven't seen much from the OP, I wonder how she's doing?

Wendy - You are so KIND..... PROPS TO YOU for demonstrating what this board is all about - SUPPORT - FRIENDSHIP etc.. Ranting and Raving too...

I just had to let you know that I was moved by your insightfulness and thoughtfullness and want to let you know what a wonderfull person you are

Janet

I totally agree about Wendy... and look, she's only 24! Wendy - us old Mom's here are sooo proud of you!

Awww you ladies are going to give me a big head! :tea:

Awww you ladies are going to give me a big head! :tea:

Well you deserve the props...

I will tell you that i am only 3 weeks post op and would do it again - I haven't had a fill yet (won't until 9/5) but so far it has helped with my protion control.

I still get hungry, and have to really work on the head hunger issues. I am practicing with small bite - chewing and eating slower - and if i am hungry i really have to work on the slowing down and to shovel the food in..

Truth be told i was in some pain for the 1st 2 days but my last pain shot was on 7/18 at 3 p.m - and didn't even need anything when i got home.

I hope you find your answers here and good luck on your journey to a healther life...:biggrin1:

hi

i am new to this site and am really quite shocked to read a member being so callous as to quote someone's weight loss over a certain period in a derogatory way. this site is for support and encouragement. 40 ibs is still a good weight loss. keep up the good work.

kelly5bellies

I want to thank the OP for providing such a provokative title and posting. It has brought folk together to talk in a positive way. inda nice when it works out that way....

PS: I lost 2 pounds since day before yesterday...unusual and always welcome.

I'd like to address a previous thread posting by thie OP. I do think that the rate at which we continue to lose weight is due to many things, one of which is developing exercise as a part of our lifestyles. It is difficult to do that if you are a smoker. I'm curious if anyone has heard of any research about smoking and esophageal irritation post banding. I'm wondering if that might be why you are feeling so much restriction too....

My SIL and I went together to get banded...the same day, by the same Dr. We come out of surgery in different ways, and continued to this day to be nothing alike in our band journey!

We went the same day to have our first fill...and he gave us the same amount. I felt some change, not a lot, I was doing it mostly on will power (or is it won't power...I won't eat it, I won't eat it!) So a month later off we went for our 2nd fill. I had been losing steady, she had not. With the second fill I got restriction, it almost seemed too much a couple of days, but I never got to where I couldn't eat. I was very careful, and the weight continued to drop. Not so with SIL, so she went for her 3rd fill the next month, within days we knew she was too tight---she kept throwing everything up, and by the time we got to the Dr. she could not swallow her own saliva! So they took some out, and she went on liquids, til she felt better. Now I have lost track of her fill/unfill schedule, she has had a bunch! When she found restriction though, the weight fell off of her, she is at goal. She just yesterday had another small unfill.

Me? I have never had another after my 2nd---which was over a year ago. I am still slowly losing, but living a VERY NORMAL life. I eat whatever the family eats, we dine out, we travel (by motorcycle) all over the place...eating at rallies, and fairs and the like. Could I drop the last 20 some pounds quicker with another fill? Probably, but I also take a chance at getting too full, and I have had zero problems, why take that chance?

I have had my band for 15 months---I have PB'd twice...neither time during the "getting to know you" phase, both times on the run, and I slipped into old habits, popped a bite in my mouth chew chew swallow, and about half way down I realized what the heck I just did!!! One was with a piece of popcorn chicken, in Walmart no less!!! The other during a Sunday School class, and I was eating a glazed donut, and had a point I wanted to make so swallowed quickly---BIG mistake!!! That single bite felt like it grew to be a dozen donuts!!! I do still eat chicken, I avoid donuts!!! But I eat all foods really---bread, Pasta, steak, chicken...I just try to remember everything in moderation....yes me too...even ice cream. I love it!

No 2 people are going to react the same. There does seem to be a common line in the responses you are getting, and that is simply that your problems lie in being too tight. My Dr. told me, that the fill may take days to kick in, if that is what happen to you, seeing it during the process on the fluoroscopy is no indication of how it is now.

You know when I started this I was a really big lady. But if I could have even done something that would have guaranteed me not to gain even more from there, I would have done it! It may take me several more months or longer to lose the last 20 pounds....but you know I used to look at people with only 20 pounds to lose, with a combination of irritation and disbelief, that someone could be unhappy with only THAT little amount to lose!

Call your Dr. and tell him how you are getting along with your band--or not getting along with it as the case may be, I would bet even he suggests a slight unfill, and a return to liquids for a few days.

Your restriction very well may change without an unfill, as your weight drops. I no longer have the serious restriction I did...but don't wait so long to do that that you take a chance on losing it all together due to serious problems resulting from an over fill---they really are quite common, and easily fixed!

Good Luck-

Kat

very helpful post, thank you Kat!!

Thank you, Kat! I am being banded in (oh, it's after midnight, so...) 4 days now! I am not really nervous yet, but the beginning of this thread scared the ever-livin' shit out of me. Your story was extremely helpful and inspiring. I know that everyone has a different journey and experiences. I think it's all what you make of it, too. I know that if I have problems, or I feel something is not right with my band, I'm gonna haul my hopefully little butt back to my doctor. He would not allow me to live the way the OP does. That's not living!