Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is the truth about the band

This is one of the biggest problems on deciding whether or not to get this surgery done or not... All The Negative Comments! I was just banned 8 days ago and have already lost 12 pounds. I read all the negative messages and experiences other people have had and thought that mine was going to be just like this. This in fact is completely wrong. I am doing GREAT! I could not be any happier. I am not hungry at all and I love it. Like most everyone overweight, I was so worried I was going to miss eating (in the larger portions), but for some reason I can go for 8 hours and not even think about food! I still eat and remember to get in all my Protein, but I would have never imagined it was ever going to be as good as it is. I just wish that people would keep there negative experiences more or less to themselves because it really makes others second guess their decisions when in fact it is the best decision (for me at least!)

Banded: 7-26-07

Starting: 227lbs

7-26-07: 221lbs

8-3-07: 215lbs

I'm glad the negatives are here, but I prefer them expressed and requests for help. I think we're all bristling at the heavy handed post. On the good side, the original poster has gotten lots of feedback that can help her with her band. So the thread came out OK anyway.....

I'm glad the negatives are here, but I prefer them expressed and requests for help. I think we're all bristling at the heavy handed post. On the good side, the original poster has gotten lots of feedback that can help her with her band. So the thread came out OK anyway.....

Yes, the original post took me aback a little, but it's all good. That's what we're here for, right?

Another happy ending here at LBT! LOL

I think everyone ought to be prepared to face these issues, whether briefly, rarely or daily when going in.

This is exactly what I am trying to express...many of you are so glad that you are losing weight that you "forget" about when you were newly banded and went through the getting to know your band stage...

It is a process and PB'ing is going to happen at first...at what degree? Who knows but it is something that most everyone experiences with the band..maybe not those of you on this board but real life people that I have talked to have all confirmed this.

Pre banding, I read these boards and noone really wrote about it...so I was just trying to keep it real.

Here we go again. Yes, people struggle. It usually does not become a lifestyle and "The truth about the band". What you describe about yourself sounds like an overfill. Please listen. I doubt if anyone here has forgotten their early banding days, and yes, those topics are covered for folks on this site. This is about the difference between learning from sturggles and an ongoing struggle that you talk about as if it is the norm. It is the norm for people who are too restricted and need a slight unfill.

I think everyone ought to be prepared to face these issues, whether briefly, rarely or daily when going in.

This is exactly what I am trying to express...many of you are so glad that you are losing weight that you "forget" about when you were newly banded and went through the getting to know your band stage...

It is a process and PB'ing is going to happen at first...at what degree? Who knows but it is something that most everyone experiences with the band..maybe not those of you on this board but real life people that I have talked to have all confirmed this.

Pre banding, I read these boards and noone really wrote about it...so I was just trying to keep it real.

I do agree that there is a period of 'getting to know your band'. And every single banded person has to go through it. PBing may happen, but it may not. But, this is s'thing to be expected w/the band. I knew all about what discomforts/complications to expect pre-banding. I tore this site apart gaining info. I'm sorry that you felt as if no one spoke about.

I'm all about keepin it real. But, I disagree w/you in that no one mentioned the things you're experiencing.

I certainly hope things are getting better for you. Hopefully some of your swelling has gone down and you can keep more than Soup down.

Feel free to PM me.

I dont recall using the word "awful". I think this is how its going to be for a while...I dont know how long..but I dont see how its going to change..unless the band loses some of its saline close to the next fill date...I dont know, I guess I just have to wait and see....BUT this is the way it is for MANY MANY new banders....how long its going to be like this, I dont know.

Also, if you can eat steak with no problems, and have always been able to..perhaps you arent tight enough... If your profile is correct, you've lost 36 lbs in 1 1/2 years??? That doesnt seem like a significant weight loss...

And just for clarity......I LOVE THE BAND...30 lbs and 2 sizes down in 8 weeks....

I personally have used this website to help me make my decision to get banded. I have read many many threads about the pros and cons concerning this procedure. I know that my life will have to change once I am banded next month and I am perfectly happy with that.

Maybe you should consider going to a monthly support group instead of making unnecessary comments like the one mentioned above. Gadgetlady was kind enough to respond to your blog there was no need for that comment. I will use this website in the future as a support group as well as a place to find out information as I adjust my lifestyle. What disturbs me most about the comment that you made is the fact that you as an overweight person should know how it feels when the public pokes fun of your weight so why would you do it to someone else-someone who has clearly taken steps in the right direction to change their life for the better.

Think before you type because you one day might need the support of those of us on this very website.

Be prepared to spend A LOT of time over the toilet. Be prepared to constantly feel the "golf ball" in your esophagus after you eat. Be prepared NOT to be able to eat in front of people you havent told about the band. Be prepared to be afraid of eating ANYTHING non mushie in fear of throwing it up. Be prepared to teach yourself to eat VERY VERY slowly. Be prepared to kiss bread goodbye.

The first 6 weeks is easy, once you get your fill...thats when you will play the "get to know your band" game. Its very finicky. It loves liquids, hates bread. Forget about steak, even chicken has problems going through.

You will have that "stuck" feeling a lot, after the stuck feeling, you will salivate profusely and then everything you ate comes up.

The only thing I can eat now is soup...any kind of Soup, but most everything else I have tried I have thrown up.

I'm 2 weeks post 1st fill..and I know i'm not too tight, since I watched the whole thing on fluoroscopy.....this is just how life is with the band.

Any many other people that I know that have this band say the same thing. Things get stuck often..and are also afraid of trying new foods in public.

I am not complaining, I am happy with my decision to get it placed.. I mean, vanity is priority #1...but these above facts DO NOT get mentioned often in this forum....at least I really havent read about it.

I got my band on 5/7 and could eat anything I wanted in small amounts. After I got my first fill some of the things I could eat before I can't eat now but not most of them. I disagree with your statement and feel that if you follow the rules you will not suffer. I have had that stuck feeling 5 or 6 times (twice very severe). I believe it was my fault. If I ate too much, too fast or something was too dry it got stuck. I have mastered the very very small bites ( if steak or meat). I am still working on the speed. I was always the first one done. By following all the rules, except speed, if it does get stuck it is only for a minute and it passes. Try chewing a couple of "papaya enzymes" tablets (cheap at the pharmacy) because it helps with digestion and is cheap to buy. I believe you control your band,it does not control you. Hope this helps!

P.S. I have lost 55 lbs! I am half way there!

This is one of the biggest problems on deciding whether or not to get this surgery done or not... All The Negative Comments! I was just banned 8 days ago and have already lost 12 pounds. I read all the negative messages and experiences other people have had and thought that mine was going to be just like this. This in fact is completely wrong. I am doing GREAT! I could not be any happier. I am not hungry at all and I love it. Like most everyone overweight, I was so worried I was going to miss eating (in the larger portions), but for some reason I can go for 8 hours and not even think about food! I still eat and remember to get in all my Protein, but I would have never imagined it was ever going to be as good as it is. I just wish that people would keep there negative experiences more or less to themselves because it really makes others second guess their decisions when in fact it is the best decision (for me at least!)

Banded: 7-26-07

Starting: 227lbs

7-26-07: 221lbs

8-3-07: 215lbs

I am not saying it is a bad thing as I am happier than ever also just be prepared that after a fill, it will not be the same as it is now and you will have to follow all the rules to stay happy. Good Luck! I hope you do as well as I am.

(Bold mine)

I honestly never had the sorts of issues you are talking about. When I was getting to know my band, after every fill I was on liquids for at least 24 hours, then mushies for another 24, and slowly introduced new solids into my diet. I took things very slowly, and perhaps that's why I never had problems.

Have I ever PB'd? Yeah. But I worked out why I did it (eating a bit fast) and I avoided the actions that resulted in the PB.

I guess what people are taking issue with is the fact that what you are talking about is being touted as fact, and as normal for every single bandster. And it simply isn't. Not 100% of bandsters will have these issues. But a lot will. If the wording had been slightly different, maybe that reaction would have been different.

Have you given thought to going on full liquids for a week or so to see if any swelling will settle down before trying mushies and solids again? You might find that that you will have better luck eating, and keeping food down.

I was going to stay out of this topic but here i go LOL

I have not read through all the comments but most of them I have .

I was banded 3 weeks ago . I like alot of others used LBT almost exclusivly to inform me about the band. Frankly if you ask me its one of the best tools out there to let people know what being banded really IS Like .

I read the negative posts on the board as well . Why ? because those are things that CAN happen to you after being banded. I went into this feeling 100% informed , more so than had i gone to a doctor and they had told me " this is what you might go thru , you could experience ABC...."

The fact of the matter is everyone's experiences IS Different as others have said. I had 1 day 3 days post op where I was in quite a bit of pain . I had one day a week post op where I pretty much lost it , was hungry as all get out and had a mental break down . I do not regret having the surgery . At this point im on semi solids and I can eat anything w/ no problem , i know I have no restriction , I have lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks ( including my pre op) .

I have a friend who is a yr out and has NEVER PBed not once . She has never gotten stuck . We have the same doc and our doc is very conservative.

Now on to another point. I think the OP is having a hard time right now , looking for some understanding . Maybe she did not go about it the right way , did not express herself the right way but the long run I think that's what she was looking for was some understanding and support.

( NOW I Might be wrong LOL )

Do i think its totally inaccurate to generalize that everyone will only be able to drink Soup and throw up the rest of their life , TOTALLY , But I think it A. shows the frustration in the OP B. Shows she might not be in proper after care hands C need some support

Just my 2 cents

Mindy

Maybe you should consider going to a monthly support group instead of making unnecessary comments like the one mentioned above. Gadgetlady was kind enough to respond to your blog there was no need for that comment. I will use this website in the future as a support group as well as a place to find out information as I adjust my lifestyle. What disturbs me most about the comment that you made is the fact that you as an overweight person should know how it feels when the public pokes fun of your weight so why would you do it to someone else-someone who has clearly taken steps in the right direction to change their life for the better.

Think before you type because you one day might need the support of those of us on this very website.

Thank you (and others on this thread) for your support. The arrow missed its mark because I know the reason for my lack of speedy loss (could it be the pint of Rocky Road Haagen Dazs ice cream I had last night after dinner?) and it has nothing to do with not being tight enough. In fact, I just had a slight unfill today (.2 cc) because I was too tight. I'm happy losing 1 lb a month with no exercise and eating what I want. When my schedule eases up this November, I'm going to get more serious about exercise and watching what I eat. But again, I appreciate all of the words in my defense.

Wow, this thread scared the hell out of me! I am going to be banded in 10 days and had by pre-op appointment today. The beginning of this thread had me second-guessing this decision that I have been researching for a long time. Thank you to those with positive band experiences for responding. I was freaking out!

I agree, Lorsbander, this thread reads like my worst nightmare. Although, ALL replies are very, very encouraging, filled with first hand experience and band intelligence. Thank you all for your reassuring posts, hopefully it will help others in need, as it did me.

[ATTACH]9384[/ATTACH]

Wow, this thread scared the hell out of me! I am going to be banded in 10 days and had by pre-op appointment today. The beginning of this thread had me second-guessing this decision that I have been researching for a long time. Thank you to those with positive band experiences for responding. I was freaking out!

I'm so sorry :-(

Please know that the OP's experience is not the norm (some may experience it for a LIMITED amount of time) and something is wrong with her band or the amount of fill. We happy bandsters do not our lives over the toilet! I certainly wouldn't be happy if I even had to spend 10 minutes a month over the toilet!