Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe WLS was a mistake

I had intially looked into this 2 years ago By march i was ready to start the insurance process the first week of july it was approved, got a pretty recent date of July 30th, really excited did the pro op diet went to the hospital with no worrys, after surgery i was in recovery for hours aware of people comming and going but i was still there, got home aftera 30 mins ride and was getting sick from just swallowing my saliva, did not sleep a wink monday night was in the worst pain of my life tuesday though an elephant was standing on my chest, tried a diff pain medication helped with sleep but made me feel to funny wednesday morning went to dr office have any Fluid that was in the band removed with no anasthetic (?) passed out form pain went home slept a bit now its thursday and im so unsure if this was the right choice for me at this point i just want it out. im reallly independant hate people having to help me.

does it get better?? :help:

WOW! what a rough time! In aust, we are kept in hospital overnight, so I was covered pain wise (when I wasn't trying to pretend I didn't have any) but it was excruciating at the time, and I didn't sleep in hospital. I believe there is no Fluid in my band, so I don't know how that feels, I guess every doc is different- but I am now 10 days post op, and no residual pain, just tender to touch, and when I bend down. It will get better, and remember, we have made a very brave choice about fixing our health. I am only 27, and 6 weeks ago had a cholesterol level of 7.7. Bloods taken on wednesday show that it is now 4.4 (needs to be below 5.2) I think that in itself is reason enough.

Hi CC.

I was in pain like you are now. It was pretty horrendous. I nearly passed out walking to the car, but from pain in my shoulder from the gas... I am now 6 months along and everything seems to have settled down. I have lost weight too (28lbs) and feel much healthier. My advice is to take it slowly. Dont be in a rush to get your first fill... give it a good 6 weeks, and then you dont have any problems having a fill as everything has settled down. We forget, this is MAJOR surgery.

I have minor twinges when I pull my muscles where my port is stitched too, like yesterday I stretched way to far to tuck my clematis into a gazebo, and today I am suffering... but nothing that a rest and a couple of paracetamol doesn't numb.

If you have the band out now, you will still be in pain and also gutted fro the whole ordeal... give it a couple fo weeks and you will be raving about how good it is.

Bunny in UK

I also had those pains although not as severe as you describe. It was from the gas used to inflate your abdominal cavity to give the surgeon room to work. It does go away. Its common to all laparoscopic surgery not just WLS.

I also can relate to the nausea. It will also go away. It is from the swelling of your stomach combined with not eating anything. I found if I could burp it helped. Also sipping Water.

I am nearly 4 weeks post op and have gotten into a routine now. No more nausea at all as long as I keep up with Water, juice, Protein shakes, thin Soups, etc.

I am sure once I am able to eat solids life will get even more "normal" feeling. I look forward to the day I eat the same meals as my skinny wife and son just in much smaller portions. I know I can do it with their help and support! :clap2:

I got the part where you don't like having people help you. Oh that hit me where I live but I got use to it knowing it would only be for a short time.

I'm coming from a perspective of starting off at age 14 with dibilitating cramps that sometimes sent me to the doctor's office so pain to me is relative. I have a really high threshold for it. We all are different as I'm sure you will find reading all of our words on Lapbandtalk. Know that it gets better. I went from eating toddler food for two weeks to now, where I have more restriction than at that time, to eating Buffalo chicken tenders. So with time it will heal and you'll get back to a place where it's easier to function. Keep doing what you are doing which is checking your body pain level and discomfort level in perspective to what you can handle and doing something about it if you can't.

Some things that helped me were Tylenol PM liquid. I took that after I completed what the doctor gave me. Don't drink anything cold. It constricts your stomach. Stick with room temperature or warm things.

I drank a lot of Soup...soup I really liked and be prepared for suddenly realizing that you don't like something anymore. It's okay. From now on it is all a learning process. The new you.

Since I was fearing I would end up living in my bed and eventually being removed from it by stretcher (exaggeration but not really) the band gave me back my life. I've lost 30 pounds and it's made a huge difference. I can only imagine after I lose another 30, and then eventually 200.

Best to you.

I'll be honest.....I woke up from lap-band hurting far worse than from having c-section.....barely remember the ride home.

BUT.....it did get better! YAY!

Yes, it gets way better. Most of the time, I don't even know I have a band, unless I forget to chew my food very well. It's great not being hungry all the time and getting full on small portions and not wanting more.

It's hard in the beginning to get used to everything. But it's well worth it!

I too was regretting it the first 3 days but today is a week and I am very happy. I lost 21 pre-op and 9 more this week. It gets better.

I just got home from the hospital after a 6 day stay because of the same reason. After surgery, I had such bad chest pain. I too thought it was gas from the surgery - but expected it in my shoulders. What it was that between the band and the swelling in my stomach - nothing was getting through. Did the barium swallow and had such bad chest pains. They had to put an NG tube down my nose and suck out anything that I put in my stomach. Once that was done - the chest pain went away.

I stayed a few extra days because I wasn't able to swallow without that same feeling. Took 5 days - but it eventally went down.

Hope all is well with you. I did feel much better after I was back to "normal". =)