Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NSV at 2.5 Years Post-Op

While most of my NSV's were at about 1-1.5 years post-op, this week I realized that I think I can add another one to the list. After having finished plastics I developed a love of shopping- clothing, shoes, purses, belts, scarves- I love my closet. While I have always really liked shoes and purses, when I was fat I was allowed a nice designer bag to carry daily, but not expensive bags for special outfits because why bother accessorizing if in the end it's just all lipstick on a pig? So...since having had all of my extra skin and fat cut off, suddenly I can wear clothing that is very formfitting in small sizes, and I can feel fabulous. I can wear skinny belts and wide belts and high-waist skirts with tucked in shirts and sheath dresses and all kinds of things that I never considered before, which is probably one of my favorite results of surgery. At any rate...all of that is awesome except I'm short and I have big fake boobs, which are two things that have made some outfits a little tricky.

So...my NSV is that I found a tailor! For a small amount of money someone can make all of my skirts, dresses, and pants, the right length AND all of my suit jackets which I have to order two sizes larger than I am because of my bust, can be taken in at the sides so they actually fit! Before losing weight I would have never spent money on having clothing altered- why bother, I'm still fat, was my logic. Now though, not only am I comfortable spending money on clothing that is brightly colored, fitted, and stylish, but I can take it all to a tailor who can make it custom fit me and I don't feel guilty about the price.

It probably sounds silly to be this excited about having a tailor, but I am jubilant. I have maintained at goal for almost a year (my goal weight anniversary is April 1) and I not only have a closet full of clothing that makes me feel confident and attractive, but I don't feel remotely stupid or self-indulgent for spending extra to have it all tailored to fit me well. Most days this far out from surgery I only think about my sleeve when I'm puking something I shouldn't have eaten, but some days like today I look back 2.5 years ago and I see a miserable girl who was so ashamed of what she looked like that she wore dark clothes, flat shoes, never wore makeup or jewelry, and felt worthless. She never would have imagined that 2.5 years into the future that same girl would be having her size 0 skirts altered and her size 4 jackets tailored because her hips and waist are small and her chest is big. Maybe I'm feeling irrationally emotional today, but I feel very grateful for this surgery at the moment and I don't often post new topics, but maybe someone like who I was 2.5 years ago will see this and realize that all of the misery of surgery is worth every single second of it in the end.

This is great!

I actually found someone to see for me when I was at my highest weight and it was great.

Unfortunately, I have since moved and still haven't found someone to take in all of the skirts I had made just for me.

Since I chose all the fabrics I want to keep them and recycle them as I lose weight.

I need to start looking for a good seamstress again!

I second the tailor idea! I had very nice, almost new clothing that just didn't fit correctly after a TT.

For a nominal fee, I had them contoured, and felt like I had brand new, personalized clothes. I did have her add some custom touches with appliqué, Buttons, grateful dead emblem, etc and it felt like I was so good to myself!!

I needed to ask around, as there was a large difference in what seamstresses charge. (I would think a good hint would be if they work out of their home, saving a lot on overhead costs)

It was one of the best clothing moves ... Our bodies do change!![emoji418]️[emoji625]

@@Inner Surfer Girl

Ooooh you took the extra-cool tailor route and had them make you clothing! I was all excited about getting my store-bought clothes altered, but picking the style and the material is awesome and something I hadn't even thought of!

@@Julie norton

Like you my clothing size changed a lot after plastics and especially the boobs and stomach. I could never wear clothes that were tight around my stomach because I always had a pudge and I had to stick with shirts that could hide bra straps. After plastics none of my clothing really fit although instead of being smart like you and originally going to the tailor, I just bought new stuff that then had to be tailored anyway. I asked around a little about prices and my biggest this is that I need stuff hemmed. One place with not a great reputation did it for $7, another place with an average reputation started at $12 and the lady I ended up going to who does have a store front is $10 per hem if you don't have lining. I also liked her right away as well...I feel like you should like the lady who has to sit at your feet and stick pins really close to your skin, lol.

I lucked out. I had a friend who was returning to grad school and needed the money. We came up with a good skirt pattern and then I had her make me a skirt every month. I paid a flat rate per skirt plus the fabric. I was really spoiled!

While most of my NSV's were at about 1-1.5 years post-op, this week I realized that I think I can add another one to the list. After having finished plastics I developed a love of shopping- clothing, shoes, purses, belts, scarves- I love my closet. While I have always really liked shoes and purses, when I was fat I was allowed a nice designer bag to carry daily, but not expensive bags for special outfits because why bother accessorizing if in the end it's just all lipstick on a pig? So...since having had all of my extra skin and fat cut off, suddenly I can wear clothing that is very formfitting in small sizes, and I can feel fabulous. I can wear skinny belts and wide belts and high-waist skirts with tucked in shirts and sheath dresses and all kinds of things that I never considered before, which is probably one of my favorite results of surgery. At any rate...all of that is awesome except I'm short and I have big fake boobs, which are two things that have made some outfits a little tricky.

So...my NSV is that I found a tailor! For a small amount of money someone can make all of my skirts, dresses, and pants, the right length AND all of my suit jackets which I have to order two sizes larger than I am because of my bust, can be taken in at the sides so they actually fit! Before losing weight I would have never spent money on having clothing altered- why bother, I'm still fat, was my logic. Now though, not only am I comfortable spending money on clothing that is brightly colored, fitted, and stylish, but I can take it all to a tailor who can make it custom fit me and I don't feel guilty about the price.

It probably sounds silly to be this excited about having a tailor, but I am jubilant. I have maintained at goal for almost a year (my goal weight anniversary is April 1) and I not only have a closet full of clothing that makes me feel confident and attractive, but I don't feel remotely stupid or self-indulgent for spending extra to have it all tailored to fit me well. Most days this far out from surgery I only think about my sleeve when I'm puking something I shouldn't have eaten, but some days like today I look back 2.5 years ago and I see a miserable girl who was so ashamed of what she looked like that she wore dark clothes, flat shoes, never wore makeup or jewelry, and felt worthless. She never would have imagined that 2.5 years into the future that same girl would be having her size 0 skirts altered and her size 4 jackets tailored because her hips and waist are small and her chest is big. Maybe I'm feeling irrationally emotional today, but I feel very grateful for this surgery at the moment and I don't often post new topics, but maybe someone like who I was 2.5 years ago will see this and realize that all of the misery of surgery is worth every single second of it in the end.

This is an incredibly amazing, emotional, inspiring, and everything else kind of story!

Just awesome

Thank you for sharing ????????

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

What a great NSV!! At 2.5 years post op I am sure they don't happen as frequently as they did in the beginning, so it makes this one even more special!! Congrats on finding your love of clothes and a great tailor to help!!

I don't really believe in this I am fat so I don't need to bother. Currently I am waiting for my surgery, I m 5.10 and 326lb. But I can't say I was ever underdressed . I have a generous amount of dresses, trousers and all that. Even I m big I still look after my self. I m not having surgery just for the sake of buying clothes and look good. I m doing it because I want to be healthy.

Congrats! NSVs at 2+ years are few and far between!

I'm not much of a clothes person, (still shop in thrift stores when I can) but it was sad to say goodbye to a few things. The only item I just couldn't part with was a really nice leather jacket with embossing and latigo lace accents. Cost over $400 and was a fav. Fortunately the seams were located in areas that made it quite easy to take in the sides and sleeves so I was able to have it tailored to fit my new body perfectly.

Just throwing this out there...

When I was getting close to my heaviest, couldn't seem to stop gaining, and HATED HATED HATED the way I looked in clothes, I bought a sewing machine and taught myself to sew. I won't say it was quick - lots of stuff to learn! machine basics, garment construction, fitting, learning to do CAD drafting and grading, then on to serging and other stuff - it took a good 2 years to get to the point where I can comfortably say that I sew my own clothes (and no one at my office would suspect.)

I won't lie. Sewing machine, serger, coverstitch, Craftsy classes, yards and yards of fabric, patterns, software, all this stuff isn't cheap. I've invested hundreds of hours and I feel like the more I learn the more I understand how very little I've mastered. I've run out of space in my living room because I've got way more projects and materials than I have free time to actually sew. HOWEVER: I feel like I have a superpower. Not only can I make pretty much anything I can think up, in exactly the cut and fabric I see in my head, but it will fit better than anything I could buy RTW. I can do quickie alterations at home (careful who you tell) and I've found about a billion applications for sewing I never thought were possible at home (SHOES! Swimsuits! Bras! Jeans! Upholstery! Stuffed animals! Insulated lunchbag! Curtains! Custom accordion trick or treat bag for the kid's Weird Al Halloween costume!)

I get that I found my passion kind of late in life, and sewing isn't everyone's bag...but it can absolutely be worth the time and money if you have the patience to work through being a beginner. Learning something new HAS to be good for your brain, right? The worst thing that can happen is you screw up an article of clothing that wasn't working for you anyway!

So...promised my mom a new swimsuit coverup for her birthday, need to get it done before we leave for vacay for spring break in two weeks. :)

Edited by jeaniebobeanie

Just throwing this out there...

When I was getting close to my heaviest, couldn't seem to stop gaining, and HATED HATED HATED the way I looked in clothes, I bought a sewing machine and taught myself to sew. I won't say it was quick - lots of stuff to learn! machine basics, garment construction, fitting, learning to do CAD drafting and grading, then on to serging and other stuff - it took a good 2 years to get to the point where I can comfortably say that I sew my own clothes (and no one at my office would suspect.)

I won't lie. Sewing machine, serger, coverstitch, Craftsy classes, yards and yards of fabric, patterns, software, all this stuff isn't cheap. I've invested hundreds of hours and I feel like the more I learn the more I understand how very little I've mastered. I've run out of space in my living room because I've got way more projects and materials than I have free time to actually sew. HOWEVER: I feel like I have a superpower. Not only can I make pretty much anything I can think up, in exactly the cut and fabric I see in my head, but it will fit better than anything I could buy RTW. I can do quickie alterations at home (careful who you tell) and I've found about a billion applications for sewing I never thought were possible at home (SHOES! Swimsuits! Bras! Jeans! Upholstery! Stuffed animals! Insulated lunchbag! Curtains! Custom accordion trick or treat bag for the kid's Weird Al Halloween costume!)

I get that I found my passion kind of late in life, and sewing isn't everyone's bag...but it can absolutely be worth the time and money if you have the patience to work through being a beginner. Learning something new HAS to be good for your brain, right? The worst thing that can happen is you screw up an article of clothing that wasn't working for you anyway!

So...promised my mom a new swimsuit coverup for her birthday, need to get it done before we leave for vacay for spring break in two weeks. :)

This is awesome. Any chance we might see you on Project Runway someday?