Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Sunnyside Oregon

I am scheduled for January 24th with doctor Bronson. The process took me a little less than a year but it may be different for everyone. I'm getting pretty nervous not sure what to expect post surgery. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

The hospital stay and what it is like after is what I am most concerned about. I have my family but nobody to talk with that has actually gone through this procedure in this facility with these doctors before.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Well for me I had no gas afterwards. But I hear that hurts bad. So I encourage you to walk as often as possible. You will be up and walking the very next morning! You will start sipping on boost and Water in tiny amounts. I do recommend taking a pillow for the ride home. At home I was ok. I slept in a recliner. It was hard to rotate freely so this helps with the not rolling out of bed. I did only sleep in the chair for 3days i think. Then I propped myself with a lot of pillows and slept in my bed. All in all it wasn't bad for me. I wasn't in a lot of pain. But others experience stuff differently. I also had a different surgeon. Dr. Leger. This may mean different incisions closing and healing. Feel free to inbox me anytime :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Everyone,

Looking to kick this topic back up some! So I currently work with Kaiser Permanente. I spoke with April today in the Bariatric group (RN) and she advised to keep loosing as much weight as possible throughout the entire process. I start the Weight Management course next week (via Online). From what I've read, and researched here at work, perfect attendance is not mandatory? Only reason I ask, it presses right up against when I'm off for work, so I'll likely be starting the meeting in my car over Bluetooth until I make it home.

I just want to make sure I don't "loose too much weight" prior to my consult as my BMI is the only thing qualifying me for approval for this program. From what I understand, they go off your BMI at time of submission to the program, not at the time of the consultation. Is there any confirmed truth to that?

April advised that I'm to make contact with her halfway through the Weight Management Class to setup the Orientation appointment. I guess I'm looking to get some confirmed next steps after that Orientation.

* How many additional appointments I'll be looking to make?

* What were the time gaps between appointments? Were they driven by the Provider, or your own schedule?

* Any usual tips/insight I should preemptively be doing now, to avoid frustration and/or hang-up throughout the process?

* Does the surgeon look for 5% or 10% overall weight loss prior to approval for the surgery?

* Also, I was reading about my "Contract/Commitment" and was curious, is this going to be based upon overall weight loss? Or weight loss from that point, moving forward?

Thank again for any insight/help! Congrats to all of you for taking a step to finally overcome this relentless battle! I'm finally taking a step to hold myself accountable from myself to make sure I'm around for my daughter :)

Hi all!
I started the process last Sept. and just had pre-op appt today with Dr. Leger.
I really liked him! Will have surgery in Sept. But they will try to get me in sooner, and if not able to, they will put me on the cancellation list.
I need my gallbladder removed so they are doing the gastric bypass together, so hope I won't have to wait until Sept. So it took me 9 months to get to scheduling surgery, but we'll worth the wait, have learned a lot!

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Lori, my husband and I started the process in November...happy to hear it's taking you around 9mos, gives us hope!! We have our appt with the Nut/Social worker on July 5th...I feel like that's when things really start rolling along. How much weight have you lost, or do they want you to lose, prior to surgery?

Thanks,
Gael

I have lost 20 pounds since I started the process and my A1C went from 8.1 to 6.8.
I am excited, but nervous, just want it done lol!
I am praying I can get it done sooner, hopefully an exact date soon. I will keep you posted@

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey All,

I have orientation next week! I am really trying to push this along to get a surgery date before the end of the year, which would be 9 months from starting the process. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to avoid needing a 1 month re-check/check-in with the nutritionist? I'm told this can be skipped sometimes, but I don't know how. Or does anyone have the contact info for the dieticians in Oregon? I have already been keeping a food diary, got my cpap, and had my annual exams. I am very worried about needing to lose weight prior to surgery as my Hashimoto's Hypothyroid makes it ridiculously difficult. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey All,
I have orientation next week! I am really trying to push this along to get a surgery date before the end of the year, which would be 9 months from starting the process. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to avoid needing a 1 month re-check/check-in with the nutritionist? I'm told this can be skipped sometimes, but I don't know how. Or does anyone have the contact info for the dieticians in Oregon? I have already been keeping a food diary, got my cpap, and had my annual exams. I am very worried about needing to lose weight prior to surgery as my Hashimoto's Hypothyroid makes it ridiculously difficult. Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

I just had my first appt with the nutritionist and social worker...I think the only way to skip the follow up, or shorten the time between the appts, would be to show them that you have lost weight and are continuing to lose. I have been keeping a good journal, have my cpap, exercising, have all my annual exams done and I still have to go in for the follow up. I scheduled the follow up the same day as my appt and it was 7 weeks out! A bit frustrating, but I'm going to take this time to really focus on me and show them I am ready...which is what they want to see.

Hope this helps!
Gael

Gael, I'm glad to hear your nut and sw went well. My surgery is September 12. Having a lot of nausea and stomach pain from my gallbladder, also bloated. Sept. Can arrive already[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a quick question for those of you in the PNW who have Kaiser. I have a BMI of 38.7 and no other health issues. I have a family history of high blood pressure and diabetes that is pushing me to get surgery. My PCP put through the recommendation based on my incontinence issues that are a symptom of being overweight. I went through the weight loss class and did the sleep study (waiting on results) and I’m going through orientation in October. My issue is that I’m really worried that I’m going to get denied somewhere in the process. Does anyone know who the primary permission giver is? Did I already jump through the main hoop of getting my PCP to give the recommendation? I mean I know that you can fail the psych meeting but who decides if the reason I’m having surgery (the incontinence) is a valid reason?

On 8/25/2018 at 9:55 PM, crigney21 said:

I had a quick question for those of you in the PNW who have Kaiser. I have a BMI of 38.7 and no other health issues. I have a family history of high blood pressure and diabetes that is pushing me to get surgery. My PCP put through the recommendation based on my incontinence issues that are a symptom of being overweight. I went through the weight loss class and did the sleep study (waiting on results) and I’m going through orientation in October. My issue is that I’m really worried that I’m going to get denied somewhere in the process. Does anyone know who the primary permission giver is? Did I already jump through the main hoop of getting my PCP to give the recommendation? I mean I know that you can fail the psych meeting but who decides if the reason I’m having surgery (the incontinence) is a valid reason?

No worries. You have the recommendation. And if you are going through the steps you are in!! Just stick with the program. Don’t stress over the process it’s fairly painless. There are many reasons to have the surgery all are valid. :)

And how are YOU both doing? @Crigney21 and @ bubbles80, are you both well and fit?

So I just did step 4 - meeting with the social worker and nutritionist and I have my follow up scheduled for January. But I’m wondering how the conversation with the surgeon goes when I get to that step. Can anyone provide me some insight on that step? Thanks so much!!