Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I seem to be losing enough hair everyday to make a wig. I am 5 months out, am currently taking Vitamins and 10000mcg Biotin. When will it stop?? And is there anything I can do to slow it down or speed up growth?

My understanding is that Biotin may help with regrowth but won't do anything to prevent Hair loss which is an after effect of the trauma of surgery/anesthesia, and the result of low Protein.

Are you getting in all of your Protein every day and taking your Vitamins and supplements as instructed (not just biotin)?

It will stop when your weight loss slows to a crawl. I lost about 2/3 of my hair volume. It started right around month 2, got really severe around month 4 and finally slowed down by month 12. It stopped completely around month 13.

If you are taking Biotin you will already start regrowing hair now. I am 17 months post op and my hair is coming in like crazy. It's driving me nuts because there are hairs sticking up everywhere.

Also the texture of my hair has changed significantly and the weirdest thing is my hair is coming back curly and I do mean curly! I will be glad when it is at its full thickness. It is definately getting there.

The best advice I can give you is get all your Protein and Water. Also a short haircut really helps manage the Hair loss in your house and it hides the thinness.

By the way, it really just happens to some people and not others. I have been at my Protein level since the beginning.

Massive weight loss is a shock to your system or trauma.

I have spoken to several doctors about this and all of them told me when the weight loss slows way down so will the hair loss and that is exactly what happened.

Protein is the biggest and best thing you can do for the time being. Make sure you are getting in all required Protein. Supplement with Biotin and ride this phase out. Can you slow it? No. But, the regrowth phase will kick in eventually.

Same thing, here, as well.

Sucks.

Was talking to my sister about this phenomena .....a highly successful bypass patient (15 years post-op). She assured me that it'll pass as I taper off and hit my normal living at goal weight. She suggested I simply have it cut shorter and not worry about it.......easier for me, a guy, to handle.

Taking some GNC MEN hair supplement. I don't have a clue if it helps....but I'm taking it anyway.

I always had very thick hair my whole life. About six months after my surgery i had lost what seemed to be half of my hair. The texture also changed. When i started losing the hair it seemed that i was also losing what seemed to be enough to make a wig a day! My hair used to be naturally curly. It stopped being so curly and when i use a straightener it seemed to be much straight and a bit finer. Eventually i stopped losing hair and apparently my hair must have been super thick Because visually you could not tell i had lost any. Actually losing all the hair made move much more easy to manage and style. I actually prefer my hair the way it is now. 12 months after surgery regrowth has started and i actually had the back of my neck and up under the back shaved off because the regrowth was to hard to manage. I have noticed regrowth at the top of my head, and i can't shave that lol so i just have to deal with the little short hairs regrowing at the top. My experience seems to be different than most considering that the Hair loss seemed to be better for me and the regrowth bothersome.

Sent from my LGL34C using the BariatricPal App

I always had very thick hair my whole life. About six months after my surgery i had lost what seemed to be half of my hair. The texture also changed. When i started losing the hair it seemed that i was also losing what seemed to be enough to make a wig a day! My hair used to be naturally curly. It stopped being so curly and when i use a straightener it seemed to be much straight and a bit finer. Eventually i stopped losing hair and apparently my hair must have been super thick Because visually you could not tell i had lost any. Actually losing all the hair made it much more easy to manage and style. I actually prefer my hair the way it is now. 12 months after surgery regrowth has started and i actually had the back of my neck and up under the back shaved off because the regrowth was to hard to manage. I have noticed regrowth at the top of my head, and i can't shave that so i just have to deal with the little short hairs regrowing at the top. My experience seems to be different than most considering that the Hair loss seemed to be better for me and the regrowth bothersome.

Sent from my LGL34C using the BariatricPal App

*Thu§ala~Production§*™