Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I'm Lisa and I had my sleeve surgery 4 weeks ago today. I have type 2 diabetes, hypothyroid and PCOS so my goal is to eliminate my health issues with weight loss. I'm

still adjusting to my new life style. It's like a grieving process with food. Does anything else agree? I've gotten nauseous a few times from eating too much. It's creating new habits I guess. Anyway I'm down 18 pounds from day of surgery. Does anyone else have health issues? Also any advice to break old habits would be appreciated. Thanks all! ????

I really had a mourning period right around the time I was allowed back on solid foods and realized I wasn't going to be able to enjoy them the same way I had pre-op nor turn to them for comfort. I think that's pretty normal. The trick is to really evaluate your relationship with food and figure out other ways of coping. If that is not something you think you can handle on your own, don't hesitate to seek some counseling. It can be very helpful at this stage.

I would say that period of adjustment, relearning how to eat, figuring out how much to eat, and figuring out how to cope with my emotions lasted from somewhere in my second month until about my forth month. By then I really had a good routine and had a good sense of how much I could eat without making myself sick or overfull. I was also back into exercising regularly by then, which I think helped with handling my stress and emotions.

Hi Lisa and welcome. Congratulations on your weight loss!! That's amazing!! Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start.

I too had a lot of weight related issues (mild sleep apnea, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure). I am 6 weeks post surgery as of Monday. I no longer have sleep apnea, my blood pressure medicine has been cut in half and my high cholesterol and triglycerides are now normal (so those meds are GONE!). I am 100% confident that you too will see a measured difference with your health as a result of this surgery. I am grateful for the post op labs, as they really help to get a new picture of your health.

Old habits (and cravings) really do die hard. My mourning process with food has devolved into tears many times. I have learned my body does not like all of my old favorites and much prefers veggies and fish (who knew?!?) So, listening to your body is key. I have also tried to train myself to drink first if I think I'm hungry (very hard for me) or to distract myself if I think I feel hungry to make sure that's what I'm really feeling. I've gotten to read some pretty great books as I use that as a distraction technique.

Best to you - you are doing great and will continue to do so. :)

The first couple of months are when you're most keenly aware that you've had the surgery. The head hunger and cravings are at their optimum as well. The further out you get and the more you practice mindful eating and exercise along the way, the easier it gets to lock in a healthy lifestyle.

For me, I've pretty much gone with an all or nothing approach. I've had no bread, rice, Pasta, soda, or sweets in over six months now, and I've incorporated exercise into my daily routine. I don't want to open a gateway back into obesity by sampling even a taste of the food I've listed above. I've never kept weight off long term as a pre op. WLS has given me the elusive tool I needed to finally break out of the yo-yo dieting cycle. And the longer I go without it the less power it wields over me.

Today I'm only 12 pounds from goal and I'm loving life again. I have more energy and feel at least 20 years younger. I was pre-diabetic, had high blood pressure, and my joints were screaming in pain, just to name a few. All of that is gone. This surgery is a god send, and I would do it all over again in a second!

Best wishes on your journey. It's truly beautiful being on the other side.

Rockinrobin increase your protein! How many grams are you getting a day?

Yes I had health issues, sleep apena, Metabolic syndrome,PCOS, Vit D deficiency. 6 months post most resolved!

I had my surgery February 5th and I'm hungry? I'm eating Jello, chicken broth, Protein drink, but still wanting something more solid. Why?

Are you on a PPI? Acid can often mimic hunger. You could also be experiencing "head hunger". I had real issues with that in my early days post op. Every single food commercial was like torture.

Hi. Had my surgery 1/19. I am on Prilosec daily. Even though I have my meal about an hour or so later my stomach feels so empty and feels like it's churning. At times it makes me feel alittle queasy. Did anyone else experience anything like this?