Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you decide on the lapband?

:help::D

I had my initial meeting with the manager of our wellness program where I work. Part of my "homework" prior to getting started is to attend a seminar and support group meeting for both the lapband and gastric bypass procedures so that I will be fully informed when I make my decision. I had pretty much made up my mind to have the lapband prior to attending any of the meetings, but I also have a friend who did the gastric bypass in April and she has now lost over 80 lbs and looks great. So my question to those of you who have had the lapband, what were some of the deciding factors in choosing the lapband as opposed to the bypass?

The deciding factor for me and I am an xray tech so I see lots of wls patients and those with the bypass seem to have problems later down the line. Also the recovery time is shorter. And I wanted a slower weightloss so that hopefully I won't need plastic surgery for sagging skin. and another positive factor is that if I would get a serious illness the band could be deflated for better nutrition ,or even remove if it should be nessary. I think that band was the best decision for me and I love it .

I am 6 weeks post opp and have lost 22lb and I have my first fill on Friday. I love my band!!!

I was looking at the different types of weight loss and the risks, and beside the fact that the band was much less risky, I looked at the recovery time after surgery...there was no way that I could be out of my life, my job and everything for several week as needed with the bypass.

Although it seems the bypass surgery has "quicker" results, I would prefer to lose my weight steadily at a couple of pounds a week, this way I can try to keep up on the fitness end more steadily, and hopefully control the amount of saggy extra skin I have at the end of all my weight loss.

I had my surgery last Tuesday and was cleaning my house on Thursday, driving on Friday and back at work (at a desk job) on Monday.

I feel great!!! :D

I think after researchng the band and the bypass, it seemed the band helps out more naturally. It prevents you from overeating and thus reducing the weight. I was always afraid of the bypass and I think it is too drastic.

I am afraid of major surgery and the band seems to be the way to go.

I go in to get banded on August 7th in toronto.:whoo:

Tyanna... I am a 50 year old woman and I'm having my 1st visit with the nutritionist and psychologist on the 14th of August. Things will move quickly after that, if approved by my insurance of course. I did check into it and it seems like there should not be a problem. Anyway, my question to you is how overweight are you, how long did they say it would take to take off a substantial amount of weight? The reason for the questions??? Sometimes I feel like I may be too old to start doing this now especially if it will take like 5 years to reach a goal? I dunno. Guess I just may be second guessing what I'm doing, or maybe I'm just becoming afraid of going through with it? I'm 250lbs and would be very happy and content to be 180. Does anyone know how long that would take to achieve that? I am planning on sticking to the program and doing all that they say should be done also. I'm not a huge sweet eater but love bread and red meat, which I hear are 2 things that people who have the lapband surgery cannot eat much of anymore, especially white bread? I don't know if I could go without red meat either. Some say it's trial and error, you in agreement with that too? That after the surgery I'll have to try different foods out to see which ones can be tolerated and which ones can't? Please help and let me know how it's going for you since it's been a short time for you. Thank you, Dianne

ps... I live in NY. I see you are from OH. I watch a program on TV about some surgeons from OH. It's on the learning channel I think. Called Big Medicine.

I LOVE BigMedicine! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my band!

I had surgery on Thursday was back to work the following Monday. Two days of PTO and my boss doesn't even know.

When people ask what I'm doing.. I tell the truth.. watching my carbs and cutting my portion sizes, drinking Water and exercising..... The band allows my body to ABSORB nutrients from my food, where as my ByPass buds have to take daily vitiman supplements or else they will "get that look"

Here's my list of PRO's and why I personally chose the band as my journey.

1. 2 days off work

2. All my innards are in tact

3. Could be reversed if needed

4. Eat regular food.. just not AS MUCH!

5. Insurance covered it

6. If I start getting sloppy with my eating I can always go in for a fill.. Bypass doesn't have this option... after the first year the honeymoon is over and they have to really work at it.

I like the fact that my band is there waiting for me to turn it on. I love the fact that I don't DUMP like my RNY buds do...... it is SOOOO true what you will hear over and over and over and over.....

The band is MERELY a TOOL! It doesn't make your food choices.. YOU HAVE TO DO THAT, but it DOES keep you from over eating!

I like to explain it.... pre band I could put away most if not all of a large thin crust pizza on my own............ now I might be able to have 1 MAYBE 2 pcs of and extremely crunchy thin crust.. and that is if I'm not filled very tightly.. more over if my family goes out for pizza.. I eat the toppings and maybe a bite of the crustiest part and eat a salad....... and teh best part........... I AM FULL and FINE with it!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

I am 66 and planning to be banded very soon. I don't think I'm too old. You are just a kid! Go for it. The next 50 yrs will be worth living if you can run, dance, climb stairs and wear pretty clothes!

My dr said that if I follow the plan and eat food in the manner that they recommend, alot of protien, very little carbs and exercise...that they will try to maintain me at losing 2 lbs per week....that is 104 lbs in a year!!!

that works for me, I don't need to drop it any faster then that...

and 50 is not old, you still have plenty of time to take the weight loss slow, then it won't be such a shock to your system

** adjustability

** removability

** quick recuperation after surgery (I couldn't ever take 4-6 weeks off!)

** no resectioning of the gut

The deciding factor for me and I am an xray tech so I see lots of wls patients and those with the bypass seem to have problems later down the line. Also the recovery time is shorter. And I wanted a slower weightloss so that hopefully I won't need plastic surgery for sagging skin. and another positive factor is that if I would get a serious illness the band could be deflated for better nutrition ,or even remove if it should be nessary. I think that band was the best decision for me and I love it .

I am 6 weeks post opp and have lost 22lb and I have my first fill on Friday. I love my band!!!

Wow! You are very inspiring. I chose the band and have not been banded yet but I am too afraid to do the gastric and two girls at work are blowing up and gaining a lot of weight after the gastric surgery because they are not respecting their bodies - and that is scary because they are stretching that little stomach that is left after the bypass. One person is doing well but the other too - should have been way thinner by now but they are messing it up big time. I like the idea of being able to remove the band if anything goes wrong.

Tyanna... I am a 50 year old woman and I'm having my 1st visit with the nutritionist and psychologist on the 14th of August. Things will move quickly after that, if approved by my insurance of course. I did check into it and it seems like there should not be a problem. Anyway, my question to you is how overweight are you, how long did they say it would take to take off a substantial amount of weight? The reason for the questions??? Sometimes I feel like I may be too old to start doing this now especially if it will take like 5 years to reach a goal? I dunno. Guess I just may be second guessing what I'm doing, or maybe I'm just becoming afraid of going through with it? I'm 250lbs and would be very happy and content to be 180. Does anyone know how long that would take to achieve that? I am planning on sticking to the program and doing all that they say should be done also. I'm not a huge sweet eater but love bread and red meat, which I hear are 2 things that people who have the lapband surgery cannot eat much of anymore, especially white bread? I don't know if I could go without red meat either. Some say it's trial and error, you in agreement with that too? That after the surgery I'll have to try different foods out to see which ones can be tolerated and which ones can't? Please help and let me know how it's going for you since it's been a short time for you. Thank you, Dianne

ps... I live in NY. I see you are from OH. I watch a program on TV about some surgeons from OH. It's on the learning channel I think. Called Big Medicine.

DLW:

50 years old is not too late at all. I am being banded in NY on 8/13 and although I am 42, I met a lot of people over 50 at my surgeon's office who are so happy and one in particular, I met in March of this year. She was 55 years old and she was extatic about her results. She had lost like 58 lbs since the previous December. I would say that is great!

I haven't been banded yet (hopefully end of August), but I know people who have had the Gastric Bypass procedure. The good thing about it is, they lost alot of weight fast. That is about the only pro. Some cons are dumping and really sagging skin. Also, Gastric patients lose the majority of their weight within the first year and then stall. With the lap band, you can have fills to keep you going at a slow and steady pace for the rest of your life. At least, this is what decided it for me. This and the fact that the lap band procedure is safer, less recovery time, and it just fits into my lifestyle. Good luck making your decision. Only you can decide what is best for you.

What decided it for me? Well, I have known people who have had both types of surgery. Particularly one that had the gastric bypass done 14 years ago. She is by no means as overweight as she was before, but her whole life is a struggle to not gain. Since I have known her she has gained 30 pounds and 20 of that was in one year. So her weight loss has been semi permanent. Then I know someone who had the lap band in 2001 when it first was approved. She lost the weight slowly and did not have to have plastic surgery. Also, she was back to work within 3 days after surgery!! On top of these personal experiences with people who have had both surgeries, I did research and more research until I wasn't afraid anymore and I knew the lapband was what I wanted. I am still inthe struggle to be approved but I knnow it will all be worth it when I dont have to take 14 pills a day at only 25 years old. Good luck with your decision. Only you know what is right for you!!:ranger:

:)

I just want to say thank you to everyone for the feedback. I took everything in and then prayed on it and I have decided to stick with the lapband. I felt it was the right decision for me from the beginning, but I think it was temporarily swayed by the large amount of weight loss from the gastric bypass in such a short period of time.

I stumbled onto this website by "accident" and I'm glad I did. There is so much information and so many people are willing to share their personal experiences with others. Its greatly appreciated. Its good to know you're not alone not only during good times, but also when things aren't going so great and you need that extra inspiration. I emailed the Wellness Program manager regarding my decision today and I can't wait to get going on the 3 month process. :Banane21:

Donna