Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol and the Band

I am working toward the band, with my surgical consultation this Thursday. Wondering how alcohol plays into life with the lap-band. Not that it is a major part of my life, but I do enjoy going out with friends and having a drink. Are certain drinks better than others?

(If something is already posted out there about this, I apologize... I did not see it).

I personally have not had any problems with my band in regards to having an occassional drink (once a week or a couple times a month). I may be an exception. The main problem I have noticed is my tolerance is not the same. One drink usually gets me tipsy vs 3 or more before. I don't know if it does anything to the band (I can only speak from my almost 4 yr experience (Aug 2003) but, most alcohol drinks have a lot of sugar or empty calories....so, not exactly what you need when losing weight

The problem with drinkig with alcohol isn't so much what it will do to the band, because it won't do really anything. The kicker is consuming all the empty calories. We can eat so little, so its important to make good choices when we do consume calories.

Yep, I had an evening out with the family at a nice restaurant where we had wine (several glasses) and when I logged everything in I found that nearly 50% of my caloric content for the day was alcohol!!! Needless to day, the scale's downward trend came to a screeching halt and actually went back up two pounds in the next several days.

I have noticed that when I drink 'heavily' -- which for me is 3-4 drinks in a night -- that I am much more prone to sliming/PB'ing the next day or two. I don't do that anymore!! Two is my limit!

TerriDoodle, I never thought about that. I had a few drinks last weekend and had problems eating the rest of the week. I ended up having a few more this past weekend and yep sure enough I am having the same problem this week. I am going to experiment and leave the drinks alone for awhile see if that makes it easier for me to eat. Thankyou.....

I have never had the pbing issue with alcohol....I wonder if it is because alcohol dehydrates you? The more fluids I personally have especially milk helps me digest food beter with the band.

Coming from a girl who has two cats named Martini and Cosmopolitan....

I was concerned about this as well. Cocktails has always played a big part in my social life.

However, a funny thing happened after the band. After all the pain from surgery, after seeing the weight come off, seeing the body change to a smaller size, seeing my blood sugars come down along with my blood pressure - I didn't have much of a desire for the empty 'bad' calories or sugar.

That's not without saying I haven't had a few cocktails!! I actually even 'tied one on' about a month ago; don't even remember getting out of the pool!!! And that was on just 1 large glass of sangria. My tolerance is different. The last thing you want to do is upset your stomach; for fear of slipping the band.

You'll still be able to enjoy a cocktail without a doubt. Just no bubbles!

Personally I am an alcoholic!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding, but i do still drink plenty on weekends i mean i am only 22

That's what I said at 22. Then at 30...

Before I knew it; the weight went on and on...the belly got bigger too.

Fat knows no age limit. :)

Just remember no carbonation,so that means no beer and no wine coolers and champagne.I have not had any more trouble with cranberry vodka.I dont get any more tipsy or buzz .It the same for me.:)

I was told by the nutritionist that if I drink, don't drive. Not even if it is just ONE drink. Something to keep in mind.