Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going for Psychological testing tomorrow!!

Geez I hope they don't think I'm too crazy to get this proceedure~! :rolleyes

Can anyone tell me if they ask any of those trick questions like "Why should people in glass houses not throw stones"? I hope they don't make me feel like a "caveman!" I am curilous to see how they handle this. I am guessing they ask questions as to how realistic our expectations are about this proceedure. I feel at this point I don't have too many anymore. Any weight loss and no more gaining would make me very happy!

I had my psychological test (165 questions!) a couple of weeks ago, and they threw the most oddball questions in every now and then. One in particular that I remember was "Have you flown over the Atlantic Ocean over ten times in the past year?" I guess if you answer yes, then it might send off some bells and whistles, although there is nothing wrong with that, but most people don't get to fly over the Atlantic once a year much less 10. :)

Justwant2... were the 165 questions on paper or online? I have 1 hr with a psychiatrist AND 1 hour on the computer answering questions....

Jwl: I was wondering too were the questions given to you on paper or did the Psy ask you in person? Was it timed? I better get my sleep if there's going to be a big test tomorrow!

I spent an hour with the psychologist and then brought home a sheet of about 300 questions. It was pretty painless. She asked questions about my family and what kind of realtionship I have with them. General questions about the surgery like what do I know about it and why did I decide on wls. What kind of support system did I have. The questionare had some ridiculous questions and some questions were repeated 2 or 3 times in different sections. She did warn me about that and told me just to answer them without thinking too much.

One in particular that I remember was "Have you flown over the Atlantic Ocean over ten times in the past year?" :D

haha I just had mine yesterday ..seems we had the same questions ..my favorite was something about "my photo was on all the latest magazines this week" or something like that. In all honesty, out of 165 questions, there were really about 20 questions, just worded differently over and over. I felt a lot of them didn't apply to me ..the ones about drugs and alcohol usage, religious/spirituality questions, the "bossy" people ones and the "bending the law" ones ..but I guess they have to ask, to be sure you have some grasp on reality.

After that I chatted with the Doc (with my husband) for about 45 minutes, he asked lots of questions and then told me the good and the bad of what he sees in my personality and how the surgery will apply to me.

I was really anxious beforehand but it really ended up being no big deal and was even kind of interesting to get a professionals view.

Has anybody ever "failed" the questionairre? Is it just looking for extremes in personality or people with no grasp of reality, or does it really try to trick you with its questions? I'm worried I'lll misread a question, answer "wrong" and then have my surgery delayed.. I am probably overworrying though!

My psych said that talking to him is more for YOU than the surgeon. He could tell them that you are batshitcrazy and they could still do the surgery anyway ..not that a reputable surgeon would, but you know what I mean.

The psych eval is to help determine where your positivies are and where your weaknesses are so they can help YOU be more sucessful resuming your life post band. Like for me, I seem to lack "portion control" and he recognized that and gave me some ideas and resources to help me.

The questions aren't tricky, at least I didn't think so ..and if you feel you may have been confused you can talk to them about what you meant by your true or false answer. I know I had to follow up with some of them a bit as they asked about religion ..I am not religious but I am very spiritual, I take comfort in my spirituality but I recognize that my faith is not whats going to take the meds that save my life or eat the correct foods, only I can do that ..and I wanted to be sure that was understood. If that makes sense.

As someone else said ..try not to "think" too much, dont over analyze the question, answer them at face value.

This is only my vent. I'm sure most psyche evals are worthwhile and in depth.

My psych eval was a total joke. :D I had to go to their person rather than the one who I have been seeing for months. He basically filled out a few blanks on his form. He asked me what physical complaints I had from obesity. When I said none, he pushed the point until I said well my ankles bother me sometimes. he said good, I'll tell them that's why you want the surgery. Everything was very superficial and geared toward him writing the clearance letter rather than finding out if I was mentally ok for this. I was really annoyed. It felt like a waste of time. And if G-d forbid, someone really had mental issues, this guy never would have caught it.

So your mileage may vary...

weight.png

Its really not bad at all. The lady I met with sooooo nice. They have even called to check on me to see that I was approved. I will certainly do my post-op follow up with them. Mine lasted a couple hours (mostly just BS'ing and talking about family history and my weight gain historty) They basically want to see that you are mentally compotent enough to undergo the surgery and comply with the post-op regimen and make the lifetime commitment this requires. I took the MMPI (Minnesota Multi-Phasic Personality Inventory) which she had me do about 376 true/false questions out of 500 something. Let me tell you these questions, alot of them were sooooo silly like, " I would enjoy the work of a carpenter". or "I hear voices telling me to do bad things". etc. I had a good laugh, you will too. I had fun doing mine. If I could afford to see her regularly, I would, just to chat with her. LOL Good luck and don't worry a bit! They want to help you get approved!