Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I have been thinking about having the lap band surgery for a long time. I am 36 years old and I weigh 304 pounds, my BMI is 49 so trust me I know that I need the surgery because everything else I have tried has failed but the more research I do the more I wonder if I can handle it. I have read alot of your posts about the varing levels of pain after surgery. I have five children and I don't know how I would be able to care for them if I was in alot of pain. I am also concerned about the PBing that alot of you talk about. How long does this go on? Is it a permenant problem? I would really like to hear how you all cope with things like this. I think it would help me alot. I have alot of fear.

:help::)

Hi queenmom, I just had the surgery Wednesday. I am 44 and the mother of 5. The youngest is 2. I'm doing great. Just a little sore. I'm up and walking. I think the soreness is just the gas.

Hi. I have been thinking about having the lap band surgery for a long time. I am 36 years old and I weigh 304 pounds, my BMI is 49 so trust me I know that I need the surgery because everything else I have tried has failed but the more research I do the more I wonder if I can handle it. I have read alot of your posts about the varing levels of pain after surgery. I have five children and I don't know how I would be able to care for them if I was in alot of pain. I am also concerned about the PBing that alot of you talk about. How long does this go on? Is it a permenant problem? I would really like to hear how you all cope with things like this. I think it would help me alot. I have alot of fear.

I had my surgery on July 9th and I was scared to death!!! A few panic attacks and a lot of praying, then when I woke up in the recovery room, I was wondering if I did the right thing, 'cause I felt rough. But honestly, we are talking maybe a few hours of feeling not so good and shortly thereafter, you don't feel that bad! I feel it is single handedly the best thing I have EVER done for MYSELF!!! I would do it over again in a heartbeat! I haven't lost a pile yet, but 14 pounds and I can tell you I feel 10 years younger!!! I feel happier and more energetic than I have in years! If you want to be there for your kids, you will be much more able to really BE THERE, if you are healthy and happy! :confused:

Hey Queenmum, I have 7 kids, age 4 to 12. It is not bad at all. You will be given pain meds, but I didn't need them for long. As far as the PBing I have never had it happen. Just remember small, slow bites. Good Luck

Anna

Yes, it is worht every minute of it! I weighed almost 320 pounds at 29, and was hell bent not to weigh that much at 30! I had surgery last year in August and have never regretted one second of it. At times it can be hard, but honestly it has been nothing major. The Pbing is not that bad, trust me. I have 2 kids and I was fine with them. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk, I will be more than happy to talk to you. I have now lost 120 pounds and went from HUGE to Hot, trust me it is worth it!!!

Congratulations Jeannie...how great to hear your progress...I love hearing how happy you are with your 14 lb. weight loss! I read some posts and people complain because they've only lost 50 lbs. in a year! What the? us unbanded say to ourselves. I'm sitting here just happy I didn't gain weight today which I probably did and living in the grey area where I am not covered by insurance but surely can't affort 26,000 my doc charges and thinking if I could lose 14 lbs I'd feel like amillion bucks too!@ way to go!! !

good for you!

I would do this a thousand times over . This was the best thing that I have ever done for myself. I am post op 2 1/2 yrs. I am a nuese and went back to work in a week. Pain is a personal thing . what someone thinks of a mild you might thing its like walking on glass.

My personal opinion,if you have the chance to have the surgery and are ready to change your life,in a good way then please go for it.

I dont regret mine at all.

I had my surgery May 30 of this year and it was the best thing I have ever done for ME.

I started at 335, and my first doct visit was 322...and yesterday went for my 8 week check up and was down another 13 lbs (in 4 weeks)

I have not had any PB or sliming that people talk about....

I have taken up cyclying and loving it......

Good luck with your choice...

Hi Scooverit

Lapband is not covered by ins for me (Canada) however I heard from my doctor of a clinical trial that was free. Unfortunatley I did not have a high enough BMI or enough comorbidities to enter the study. I thought of waiting until I did (just a matter of time). Decided instead, to drive an old car for a few years and take the 16 thousand out of my line of credit. I will be banded on August 15th. I hear your pain!!

Thank you all so much for responding to my questions. it has helped me alot. I am scheduled to meet with a surgeon soon. I hope that all goes well.

Queenmum:)

girl it is TOTALLY worth it!!! I would recommend it to anyone. In fact, when my brother is out of high school, I already offered to pay for the surgery FOR him!

THAT is how much I love my band! I am a self pay too. So, no help from anyone. I am paying for this completely on my own.

STILL no regrets. I love everyday with my band!

Queenmum - it's the best thing you can do for yourself, your children and your life!!! I was just banded on 7/31 and it was self-pay, but at 47 yrs. old and one year remaining at the University of Washington, I knew I had to do something, not to mention all the pills I take to keep me going...can't wait to get rid of those sometime down the line!!!

It can be a struggle, but the struggle pays big dividends....that much I have learned from this site alone!! So good luck with your decision.....

I think everyone's experience with the lapband is different. For me, any pains I had went away in a week, including shoulder and gas pain. For the first week, expect a little pain, a lot from the anesthesia wearing off!! But it's really not so bad as you might think from reading all the different opinions. For me, I've pbed once and I deserved it ;) since I ate very fast and was trying to eat a sandwich. It's not so bad because you remember that the next time you want to scarf it down!! I've been banded a month now, but healed very quickly and have been doing good, waiting anxiously for the first fill!