Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Burger and Fries

I'm 17 months post-op. I started at 235 pounds highest ever, was 216 pounds surgery day, hit my goal of 150 pounds in 8.5 months post-op, and today (9 months later) weigh 136 pounds. I'm doing great.

By the end of Month One post-op, I was eating one slice of toast (Sara Lee 45 calories/slice high-Fiber, high-Protein bread) with no difficulty.

Around 3 months post-op I could eat HALF a McDonald's cheeseburger including the bun VERY SLOWLY (150 calories). And no, I didn't eat that very often.

By the time I was 8 months post-op, I could eat a whole McD cheeseburger. That's about my fast-food limit now, too. And no, I don't eat these things often at all -- usually once every month or two when I get stuck on a road trip and have access only to fast -food on Interstate off-ramps.

This journey is about doing what you're supposed to do most of the time. When I was still losing weight, I stuck very close to my program probably 95% of the time. Now, 9 months into maintenance, I eat according to my program about 80-90% of the time.

P.S. I'm eating 1700 - 2000 calories/day now to maintain my current weight.

P.S. I'm eating 1700 - 2000 calories/day now to maintain my current weight.

That seems to be about what it takes for me to maintain if I'm not exercising. I've held steady at 160-165 for the past 5 months without a regular exercise routine (see my post about why here if you care). I've finally started exercising again this week and with tracking my exercise, I decided to track my food for a bit too. I am in the 1700-2000 calorie range, but I'm really worried that by getting back to exercising, I'm going to have to figure out some way of increasing my caloric intake in order not to LOSE anymore weight. Talk about a problem I thought I'd never have!

I hear you, @@JamieLogical . This is not at all what I expected either.

And yes, I need to get my ass in gear re exercise -- winter has cramped my style!

Are you eating the bun? I'm 16 months out and if I ate a slider with the bun, no way I'd have room for any fries, much less a dozen!

If your getting full off so little after 1.5 years, how on earth are you getting enough calories??

Are you eating the bun? I'm 16 months out and if I ate a slider with the bun, no way I'd have room for any fries, much less a dozen!

If your getting full off so little after 1.5 years, how on earth are you getting enough calories??

I'm in the same boat. I couldn't eat a whole slider with the bun, let alone any fries at 2+ years out.

Other things I can eat more of, but dense Protein plus bread? No way.

I do have to eat 5-6 small meals and a Protein shake or two to get everything in.

A question for VSG Veterans...

I'm 4 months out and 13 pounds away from goal. One of the things I've been enjoying is a local lounge that has a three slider appetizer and incredible Truffle Fries, which I split with my wife.

In my past life, I would have steered clear of this and gone with a more protien oriented dish. Now, I get full after one slider and about 10 shoestring fries. I'm guessing this culinary junk delicacy is under 300 calories and reasonably balanced except for the fat.

My question is, how long will I be full after one little slider and a dozen shoestring fries?

How on earth are you so close to goal at 4 months out??

I'm 4 months out and 13 pounds away from goal. One of the things I've been enjoying is a local lounge that has a three slider appetizer and incredible Truffle Fries, which I split with my wife.

In my past life, I would have steered clear of this and gone with a more protien oriented dish. Now, I get full after one slider and about 10 shoestring fries. I'm guessing this culinary junk delicacy is under 300 calories and reasonably balanced except for the fat.

My question is, how long will I be full after one little slider and a dozen shoestring fries?

Thanks for asking!

I had an unusual situation. I live in two different places 6 months of the year. In July, I decided I need to make a serious run at weight lost (having been stuck in the 270's for a few years). After some research, I decided to make some calls and look into the sleeve.

My dilemma was that that I needed to be on the West Coast for the winter by Thanksgiving, which meant I needed to complete my surgery by early October, which left me with about 3 months to meet a surgeon, get approved, and have my surgery.

The first hospital I called said "no way". I then called the #1 WLS hospital in the state (top 5 in the country) and met an incredibly responsive staff. They explained the process and basically said "if you do everything right and we hit all green lights, it might happen." That was good enough for me!

My first meeting was my orientation on August 10. Knowing that I might not be quite at BMI 40 and knowing that having to prove comorbidities would take time I didn't have, I basically ate like a pig for the 5 days before the orientation and then stuck around after the meeting and talked a PA into "weighing me in" that night.

Voila -- 281 lbs. and a BMI of 40.2.

After that, I read everything I could read, got my doctors to write letters, shut off all socializing, stopped drinking alcohol, coffee, or soda, and starting working out an hour a day.

On September 2, I finally met the WLS team. I was down 15 lbs (to 266) in three weeks and they were blown away. They were also blown away by the 5 page diet history I presented with integrated doctor's reports going back 7 years.

After that, I attended all their meetings and did all their tests as fast as possible, even if it meant spending every day driving around.

On October 1, I got approved for an October 19 surgery -- which would have worked, but cut it close for Thanksgiving. I pleaded with the scheduler, who was excellent, and she found a way to get me in for October 6.

I was down 31 pounds to 250 on 10/6. After surgery, I continued to follow everything the said and continued to exercise 90 minutes a day.

Yesterday I weighed in at 201 (down 81 lbs from HW and 51 from SW). Although I would need to get to 175 to have a BMI of 25, I am a former athlete with a muscular build and competed nationally at 210 lbs. I weighed 175 in 7th grade. Also, I've lost 2 inches in height due to hip issues, so I have a 6' body in a 5'10" frame. The hospital originally said 200, but I upped it to 190.

So actually, I'm now 11 pounds from goal...

I eat six times a day. bread fills me up really fast so I just don't eat it. I can eat a good 5 ounces of meat at a time.

Lol I was just gonna say.. Men! Lol.. But then I saw his explanation.

Men do seem to drop weight faster. :) lucky them

I'm a little over two years out - one slider and some fries would be about it for me. It's a treat, not a normal meal for me.

If we are having hamburgers at home, I eat it without the bun topped with cheese.

I very much believe, though, that where our calories come from matter.

You are correct. We are far more likely to gain fat by eating carbs than by fats or Protein. It's because insulin works by removing excess blood sugar when our levels spike, such as after eating carbs. Insulin takes the sugars and deposits them in fat cells.