Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back from first Consultation

I'm just at the beginning of my journey and I was wondering if anyone's surgeon rejected them for the Sleeve?

Mine says my BMI (50+), weight (385) and age (53) indicates to him I should get the Bypass.

He says if I lose 50 - 60 pounds in the next 6 months that he will reconsider.

If I could lose 50 - 60 pounds, I wouldn't be wanting this surgery!

Hmmm..I've never heard of a surgeon who has said no to doing a sleeve, even at your weight. Do you have diabetes or GERD? If so this may be the reason he rejected you. I do know of one person who was over 400 lbs who wanted the sleeve and the surgeon told her he would do the VSG surgery but she would have to later convert to the bypass. Sure enough she lost about 100 lbs and could't lose anymore so she had the bypass in December. However, there have been many who have lost significant amounts of weight (100+) with the VSG surgery.

So I think if you really want the sleeve and not the bypass I would seek another consultation with a different surgeon. Some surgeons and insurance companies though may require you to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery so keep that in mind as well.

Additionally, if you have ever seen my 600 lb life on TLC the surgeon on that show has intended on doing the bypass on a few patients but when he went in had to convert to doing the VSG surgery.

I started with a high BMI am over 50 and got the sleeve. Unless there is other reasoning behind his suggestion (do you experience GERD?) you may want to get a second opinion or at least talk with him further about his recommendation.

You can get a second opinion if you like. However, I'm kind of concerned about you stating you can't lose 50 lbs in 6 months. I hope you aren't looking for a miracle cure because if you don't eat healthy then you will regain the weight, even after having the surgery. Many patients are required to do pre-op diets for about 2 weeks. Most people on them lose a great deal of weight. I lost 25 lbs on my 2 week pre-op diet and I've heard of other people losing 30 lbs on theirs. So yes, you can easily lose that much weight in a 6 month period.

Proud2BMe - I am not looking for a miracle cure. I'm just unsuccessful at losing weight. I get bored with dieting and tend to grab what's easy and accessible. I'm not a binge eater. I've gained about an average 8 pounds or so per year since I got out of high school. Each time I've attempted to diet, I would lose about 30 pounds, get bored and gain it back + another 5 more. I would say my problem is that I never feel full unless I eat a very, very large amount of food. So in looking at WLS, especially the sleeve, I see a tool that would help me with Portion Control by restricting the amount and types of food I can eat at one sitting. My surgeon wants me to lose this weight prior to any pre-op diet. I can do it if I put my mind to it but it will be a challenge.

You may find that making some simple changes will help you lose that 50-60 pounds while you prepare for surgery.

You may lose some weight just by giving up soda (even diet soda) and drinking more Water. Aim for at least 64 oz.

Also, try avoiding starches, including starchy vegetables, and loading up on non-starchy vegetables.

For example, when I was pre-op my NUT suggested adding a steamer bag of broccoli and/or cauliflower to a lean cuisine to help me feel fuller.

Whether you are pre- or post-op, focusing on getting in good Protein will also help you feel fuller longer.

In order to prep for surgery I weaned myself off of carbonation and caffeine and drank a lot of Water. I think it really helped.

Best of luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Inner Surfer Girl - You are so right! Thanks for the tips! I have already started making changes. Except for 1 Coke on Sat/Sun each, I only drink unsweetened tea and Water. I'm going to have to get some Decaf tea and give up those weekend sodas soon. Then getting rid of the starchy veggies are next. I've never been much of a veggie eater - as a kid I only ate potatoes, celery, tomatoes, sauerkraut, corn, kale and lettuce. I'm a little better now - I like asparagus, brocollini and green Beans if they are sauteed in Olive Oil with lemon and salt. I just need to motivate myself to actually make them!

Thanks so much for your support!