Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band to revision in 3 wks

band to revision in 3 wks, scared about complications after reading posts, dont have any dieting, surgeon said to maintain 35 BMI. my family and friends are trying to talk me out of it telling me i only have 50 to 60 pounds and should me able to do it on my own, feel shame that i can't, excited but scared too, afraid i wont be able to drink 96 oz daily.

What are you revising to? With only 50-60 # to lose I'd encourage a sleeve over RNY, depending if your band didnt; leave to much damage behind.

No you won't be able to drink 96oz daily straight out of surgery-- but eventually you will be able to. You build up to it.

Be aware of the risk of complications so you'll know what to look for.

Thanks, the doctor thinks the bypass would be the best because of insulin resistence and reflux. insurance approved for RNY, but i am scared, have trouble getting Fluid in, most days around 70 oz. i have read the complications and sucess stories, just scared of complications, am 205 and want to get to 145 but cant do it without help, love this group fou info.

Cheri What did you decide?

Thanks, the doctor thinks the bypass would be the best because of insulin resistence and reflux. insurance approved for RNY, but i am scared, have trouble getting Fluid in, most days around 70 oz. i have read the complications and sucess stories, just scared of complications, am 205 and want to get to 145 but cant do it without help, love this group fou info.

Hi Cheri,

Your post brings back memories. I was very afraid to have Band to RnY revision before I had it done. Your story is a bit different than mine in that you are only 60 lbs from goal. I was much heavier, which is why it was probably an easier decision for me.

That being said, my experience with RnY has been so much better than it ever was with the band. It's hard to believe that a procedure that is so much more invasive has had WAY less complications than the lapband. I am 6 months post op and have had ZERO complications. My 6 month bloodwork just came back and everything is in the normal range.

I no longer take Prilosec or Get "stuck". I no longer cough at night and am able to sleep through till morning.

The best part...I can actually eat healthy! Vegetables, Steak, chicken, fruit, etc all go down. I don't need sour cream or Condiments to get em down!

Here's the deal. In my opinion, the lapband is a quick and simple surgery with a ton of bad side effects and post op complications.

RnY is a more complicated surgery, but after the initial healing period (2-4 weeks), things get WAY easier.

One word of caution...RnY still requires a ton of effort to lose weight. It is much easier to eat with RnY than the lapband. Like the lapband, gaining weight is possible if you eat the wrong things. The difference with RnY is that healthy foods actually go down (after a few months of healing).

Thank you so much Nologoz, that helps me feel so much better, I have been listening to so many friends and family that don't think I need a surgery to help me lose 60 pounds but I have hated the band with throwing up daily for years and want it out, trying to get my other insurance to cover the RNY and not just the band removal. They wanted me to lose 10 pounds in 6 days and I have 4 left before Thursday and they said they would approve it. I now am thinking if I can do that why can't I lose the 60 pounds, but I know in my heart I need a tool to help me and need to go through it. I am a little scared but not of pain, I can handle that, just a little scared of long term complications.

Thank you so much Nologoz, that helps me feel so much better, I have been listening to so many friends and family that don't think I need a surgery to help me lose 60 pounds but I have hated the band with throwing up daily for years and want it out, trying to get my other insurance to cover the RNY and not just the band removal. They wanted me to lose 10 pounds in 6 days and I have 4 left before Thursday and they said they would approve it. I now am thinking if I can do that why can't I lose the 60 pounds, but I know in my heart I need a tool to help me and need to go through it. I am a little scared but not of pain, I can handle that, just a little scared of long term complications.

Don't be influenced by family chatter...keep on course.Get whatever you need to do.If you back out of this surgery you will regret it.You need your tool to get the 60 pounds off and maintain the loss.It is getting very tough to get insurances to approve these days...consider yourself privileged to get insurance to cover your procedure.You have to be sure and take control.Are you ready?