Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I've been reading a lot of the posts but I have a couple of questions. I wanted to know if anyone can recommend a surgeon in Los Angeles CA that takes Anthem Blue Cross HMO.

Also I wanted to know if everyone usually starts with their normal family doctor and then is recommended to a surgeon or do they find a surgeon that is covered by the insurance who does all of the paperwork? Just a reminder I have HMO not PPO.

Thanks!

Hi,

One of the best DS surgeons (I'll be using him when I move back to CA). is Ara Keshishian. I don't know if he takes BC, but I'd sure make the call.

Edited by Postop

With a CA HMO, you start with your PCP. Their office will work with your medical group to get you to a surgeon and facility that takes your insurance.

I tried to start with my PCP but we live in a small town and they don't do the surgery here so my Dr. really couldn't refer me to anyone. Then I started researching and found someone I liked in San Antonio and made an appointment and sent them my insurance info only to find out they were not approved by my insurance company. Then I went online to my insurance group and found a list of approved Dr's in San Antonio and Austin. I picked one of them and called for an appointment. Now its 6 months later and I am waiting on my cardiologist release so that I can have surgery on 1/26/16

I heard of Dr. Keshishian and it looks like he takes insurance. I'm not sure if he takes my specific insurance though. I wish he had a list of insurances he takes on his website like some of the other doctors. The issue is I'm in open enrollment and I have choices between a couple of different carriers and I'd like to know what will give me the best options for surgery before I choose but it is difficult.

The only upside to choosing Kaiser I'm finding is that its pretty clear cut and dry how to get through the process. Plus it seems to be a shorter process, only a 3 month diet program and then good to go for surgery. The downside is they don't do DS for patients under 50 BMI which is bummer. They do, do the sleeve though. Ugh! It's so much to decide! lol

I know Dr. K doesn't have it on his website, but I'd definitely call or email him. He responds pretty quickly.

I would second Dr. K as one of the best in the business (besides, I don't know who else in the LA area does them, at least anyone that I could recommend.) Call his office and explain your situation (probably to his insurance coordinator) and ask which of your options would work best.