Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op... Thoughts?

Hi, all! I have been lurking for a few months now but this is my first thread. I need advice and love from people that are going through or have gone through the same struggle. But first, let me back up...

I am 24 years old and have been struggling with weight issues/various eating disorder issues since I was 13. My highest weight was around 275. On the day of my surgery (December 22nd) I was 263. I woke up from surgery in tons of pain. I was prescribed Tardil (?) but that was not cutting it. They ended up putting me on Dulaudid which did the trick. I did lots of walking but ultimately felt very, very sore. I felt Constantly extremely thirsty and bloated at the same time... And I could not wait to get off my saline drip which was making me get up to pee every 2-3 hours at night. I had to stay an additional night in the hospital because my oxygen levels would dip into the upper 80s when I slept unless I was wearing oxygen in my nose. They ended up sending me home on Christmas and said that the problem would fix itself when the swelling went down.

During the hospital stay, I was drinking my about 40ish ounces of Water but they kept me on Clear liquids so I was not getting any Protein. Yesterday, since I was home for half the day, I got in my Water and about 10-12 grams of Protein. Today, I am on track to meet my water requirement and was able to get in 30 grams of protein. I expect to be hitting my liquid and protein goals tomorrow although I can already tell that it will be a struggle and a constant effort until I can add some regular food into the mix!

Now to my concerns- since the surgery my temperature has been variable. For instance, it has ranged from 97.8-100.5 but it is spending more time in the 99-100 range than I would like it to. My doctor suggested I only needed to reach out at 101 and above... Did you find you ran "hotter" for awhile after the surgery? Speaking of, I am constantly having hot flashes. I am waking up about 1-3 times during the night in heavy sweat despite the fact that my room is about 62 degrees cool. Is that normal? Are hot flashes likely to go away? I did switch from Dulaudid to Norco today and am hoping that will make a difference.

My surgery was laronscopic. I took my first shower today and changed out my bandages. I have 20!!! Black Stitches in 7 different places along my abdomen. I did not realize in the hospital (because of my big boobs and the lack of mirrors) that there were that many. Is that normal?? When do the stitches normally come out? Also, when can I expect the pain and swelling to decrease considerably? The pain has definitely gotten better each day but the swelling has not made significant progress that I can tell. Which probably explains why I have only lost 2 lbs so far.

Finally, when should I break down and take some milk of magnesium? I started on dulcolax today and feel lots of gas (mostly burping, though) but I have yet to have a bowel movement. On the other hand, I am finding it so hard to bend over and wipe well because of the stitches so I don't want to push it too soon while I am still struggling with that.

Thoughts on making this process easier?

Also, I HATE protein flavoring. I can stand Premier shakes but 2 of them takes me the whole day to drink and they are already getting really old REALLY fast. I was thinking about a low cal/SF cream of mushroom or chicken Soup with 10-15 gr of unflavored protein but I am unsure if I will like the texture and I don't know what brand is best. I was thinking of doing the same with Jello, as well. Any other ideas?

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 31 months ago. I had seven incision points which I believe is common. For the first week I was home I had to administer shot of blood thinner. This made my body more sensitive towards bruising. At the end of the week, I was covered with large bruises.

Generally when you are in the hospital for the surgery, you gain weight because they pump your body full of fluids. It takes a few weeks for you to lose this extra Fluid weight.

I found it hard to sleep at night on my side. Slipping a pillow between my legs at night helped.

genpro makes a medical grade unflavored medical grade powder.You have to order Musclegen.com

First, congratulations and welcome to the other side! I can relate to what you have described for the most part except the hot flashes or temperature fluctuations. Just listen to the doctor and watch it as a fever can forewarn of infection. Just remember your body has been through a traumatic experience. Take it slow and allow yourself to heal.

Some things that I remember helped were using ice cube trays for strained cream of chicken Soup, broths and sugar free Jello. Two cubes are two ounces. I had two of those three times a day. I also logged everything including Water. I also wrote down the time that I would stop drinking Water and resumed drinking water allowing for 30 mins before and after my soup Jello and broth meals. Another important thing to remember is moving. Get up and walk around, even if it's around the house. While sitting or laying down I would flex my leg muscles, do arm lifts, ankle and foot circles ect.

My taste buds were out of whack and nothing really tasted good but you just do what you have to do to nourish yourself and heal. I reminded myself of how long I waited for this to happen! You are finally on your way to your new you.

I used gas-x strips for the bloaty ness ! That helped. I was home a couple days before my first BM. My surgeon sent me home with liquid colace which I had to take in milk. But it was a great help.

Oh and sugar free Popsicles were and still are a staple as is Vitamin water zero, especially the lemonade. No Aspertame or aftertaste. They use stevia.

It gets better everyday. Sip your Protein, sip your water and move your body and rest. Healing takes time.

Six months out and 96 lbs down. Hang in there! ????

Thank you all for the suggestions! I was an additional 5 lbs down this morning... The swelling seems like it made great progress. I am definitely tracking everything- pain, meds, calories, sugar, fluids, breathing exercises... I have myself on a schedule while I get through the hardest beginning days!!

Your success is so inspirational. WOW!

I'm 3 weeks out. Still sore, having a hard time getting the Protein, Water and Vitamins all in every day due to nausea . I go back to work on Friday. I just can't imagine.

Hi, all! I have been lurking for a few months now but this is my first thread. I need advice and love from people that are going through or have gone through the same struggle. But first, let me back up...

I am 24 years old and have been struggling with weight issues/various eating disorder issues since I was 13. My highest weight was around 275. On the day of my surgery (December 22nd) I was 263. I woke up from surgery in tons of pain. I was prescribed Tardil (?) but that was not cutting it. They ended up putting me on Dulaudid which did the trick. I did lots of walking but ultimately felt very, very sore. I felt Constantly extremely thirsty and bloated at the same time... And I could not wait to get off my saline drip which was making me get up to pee every 2-3 hours at night. I had to stay an additional night in the hospital because my oxygen levels would dip into the upper 80s when I slept unless I was wearing oxygen in my nose. They ended up sending me home on Christmas and said that the problem would fix itself when the swelling went down.

During the hospital stay, I was drinking my about 40ish ounces of Water but they kept me on Clear Liquids so I was not getting any Protein. Yesterday, since I was home for half the day, I got in my Water and about 10-12 grams of Protein. Today, I am on track to meet my water requirement and was able to get in 30 grams of protein. I expect to be hitting my liquid and protein goals tomorrow although I can already tell that it will be a struggle and a constant effort until I can add some regular food into the mix!

Now to my concerns- since the surgery my temperature has been variable. For instance, it has ranged from 97.8-100.5 but it is spending more time in the 99-100 range than I would like it to. My doctor suggested I only needed to reach out at 101 and above... Did you find you ran "hotter" for awhile after the surgery? Speaking of, I am constantly having hot flashes. I am waking up about 1-3 times during the night in heavy sweat despite the fact that my room is about 62 degrees cool. Is that normal? Are hot flashes likely to go away? I did switch from Dulaudid to Norco today and am hoping that will make a difference.

My surgery was laronscopic. I took my first shower today and changed out my bandages. I have 20!!! Black Stitches in 7 different places along my abdomen. I did not realize in the hospital (because of my big boobs and the lack of mirrors) that there were that many. Is that normal?? When do the stitches normally come out? Also, when can I expect the pain and swelling to decrease considerably? The pain has definitely gotten better each day but the swelling has not made significant progress that I can tell. Which probably explains why I have only lost 2 lbs so far.

Finally, when should I break down and take some milk of magnesium? I started on dulcolax today and feel lots of gas (mostly burping, though) but I have yet to have a bowel movement. On the other hand, I am finding it so hard to bend over and wipe well because of the stitches so I don't want to push it too soon while I am still struggling with that.

Thoughts on making this process easier?

Also, I HATE protein flavoring. I can stand Premier shakes but 2 of them takes me the whole day to drink and they are already getting really old REALLY fast. I was thinking about a low cal/SF cream of mushroom or chicken Soup with 10-15 gr of unflavored protein but I am unsure if I will like the texture and I don't know what brand is best. I was thinking of doing the same with Jello, as well. Any other ideas?

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

I had my surgery on Dec 28...boy am I in pain!!!!Very hard getting the protein and water....my stomach looks horrible.

I feel as though my insides are a wreck....

Pinkgirl- I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad! I was too until about 5 days ago... Hopefully, each day is getting better for you. I found that every single day I make small progress that is slowly adding up.

I am sorry that you are struggling to get Protein and Water in! I got it in by creating a very detailed schedule that laid out when I would be drinking each of my Protein drinks and the Water I needed (as well as when to take all my pills). Now that I am feeling so well I am having different problems. I am occasionally eating too fast and having mild/moderate dumping symptoms. I am also still craving things that my body can't handle which is frustrating. When I feel like cheating I remember how crappy the nausea feels when I've eaten the wrong things. It is both great and horrible to have immediate negative consequences.

@@ewinslo

I can identify! i am four weeks out, almost five, and am finding I am starting to eat/drink too fast and am suffering the consquences. I have a bad memory but the consequences are definitely helping me to REMEMBER! I am thankful for the negative consequences. I am a slow learner sometimes!

It will be three weeks for me on tuesday. My surgery was 12/15. I'm still sore, going back to work on friday. Having a terrible time getting all my requirements. They say eat only when you're hungry, but then I'd never come close to my Protein requirement, can't get half the Water in between not eating before. During or after eating, and the Vitamins make me nauseous every time. I sure hope it gets better.

I have to figure how to get the vitamins....maybe I should get the patch Vitamins?

It will be three weeks for me on tuesday. My surgery was 12/15. I'm still sore, going back to work on friday. Having a terrible time getting all my requirements. They say eat only when you're hungry, but then I'd never come close to my Protein requirement, can't get half the Water in between not eating before. During or after eating, and the Vitamins make me nauseous every time. I sure hope it gets better.

Interesting! My doc says nothing about only eating when you are hungry (at the beginning) because of the Protein requirements... Which is why I created a schedule to remind myself... I am really only feeling head hunger at this point, not body hunger.

A tip for the vitamins- I just switched to PatchMD and I love it. 1 patch a day on my shoulder and I supplement it with B1 Vitamins (but that is all!!) My doc is happy with it, too. We will obviously make any adjustments needed once I have my first blood tests, though.

Bugby- I seem to be a slow learner too. The old habits are dying hard! Especially the one to eat and drink quickly. It requires constant monitoring at this point to slow down.I also wish my head hunger and sugar cravings had gone away with surgery like it did for others on these boards but apparently those are 2 things I will have to conquer on my own. Oh well, it is definitely worth it.

Elizabeth, is it a weekly patch? Just one?

Elizabeth, is it a weekly patch? Just one?

It is a daily 12 hour release patch. I put it on in the morning and take it off before bed. I use just one a day but PatchMD offers a variety of Patches... so technically you could wear 1 Multivitamin patch and one B12 patch (or whatever other Patches you want/need).

Thanks, I'll look into them.