Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So frustrated!

I have osteo-arthritis. Like others have said, the weight loss won't undo years of abuse. I keep my issues at bay with Water aerobics however every so often my right knee will still bother me. I regularly sleep with a pillow under it. As for NSAIDs the issue is that the can cause stomach irritation and lead to ulcers. If you need to take them, just be careful. Most doctors will allow it if there is no other alternative.

I have spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. Prior to my sleeve surgery I took 2 Aleve every morning. Now I take them maybe twice a month. I tried to get by without it but it just wasn't happening.

Those are my knees!!! I used to get cortisone shots in both knees every four months. Now I only need it in my right knee. No NSAIDs for me. I used to take Relafen for years. Now Tylenol as needed for pain, but as you know, that doesn't relieve inflammation. It's still much better than when I carried 302 pounds around.

Hang in there.

I hope Santa brings you some relief :D

Those are my knees!!! I used to get cortisone shots in both knees every four months. Now I only need it in my right knee. No NSAIDs for me. I used to take Relafen for years. Now Tylenol as needed for pain, but as you know, that doesn't relieve inflammation. It's still much better than when I carried 302 pounds around.

I am relieved that I didn't have this issue a year ago. I know that it would have been much worse getting up and moving with the extra 85 lbs! I am grateful that the dr did give me hydrocodone that is at least allowing me get some rest at night. It's all just a waiting game until I can get the MRI done.

As a nurse, I have to agree w/ Daisee68...The Voltaren gel can be a life-saver when you can't ingest NSAID's.

--Or Lidocaine Patches..those are great & you cut-to-fit and apply them only where you most need the relief.

...and it is unfortunate for all of us that damages to our joints (hips, back, knees...everything) is already 'done', although relieving the pressure on our musculoskeletal systems by losing weight helps, the stress and premature/ undue wear and tear cannot be undone.

Hope you feel better soon. [[[[[ hugs ]]]]]

Understand that Voltaren Gel can cause stomach ulcers even though it is not taken orally.

"Voltaren Gel may cause an increased risk of serious and sometimes fatal stomach ulcers and bleeding. Elderly patients may be at greater risk. This may occur without warning signs." From:

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/voltaren-gel.html

In Canada Voltaren is OTC. (I won't tell you that I have had a few tubes shipped down through a Canadian pharmacy.) I actually use it on my horse's hocks. Voltaren is the same active ingredient as Surpass but MUCH cheaper.

My surgeon allows me to use the low dose of Celebrex (100 mg). He prefers that I take it on an as needed basis not daily. It is an RX.

OP- call your surgeon and see what he will allow you to take for NSAIDS- medication name, dose, how long, with/without probiotics/PPI etc....

In the meantime ICE is your friend. For the knee don't forget to ice the back of the knee. I have knee issues and the inclination is to ice the knee cap and above/below that but not the back.

I recently came off my horse and re-injured my knee. I, of course, used a horse product for icing my knee on my drive to/from work. https://www.horseloverz.com/horse-health-care/horse-therapy/roma-ice-boot?gdftrk=gdfV27555_a_7c1161_a_7c2883_a_7c5_d_493661

I could only really ice the front that way but would then throw a small ice pack under the back of the knee.

The Ice Boots were great as they strapped on and covered a big area. You may be able to get them at a local tack store. FYI the price at HorseLoverZ is particularly cheap so don't go into sticker shock elsewhere.

R.I.C.E

R - rest

I - ice

C- complain. I kid! Compression

E - elevate

Oh that "C" is great...I am stealing that one. My son is going to Physical Therapy school, he will love it.

Voltaren gel is awesome!!!!!! It works miracles on my knees!!!!

All dressed up and rocking my swollen knee for our annual Christmas Eve party! post-256910-14509886651164_thumb.jpg

Have any of you tried biofreeze for your pain. I'm a massage therapist and also have degenerative disk disease and sciatica and I swear by this its basically icy hot just without the hot part its a topical analgesic that comes in a spray can now. You have to get it at a drs office though

rosemary79,

Sorry to hear about it! Definitely keep your eating on track during this tough time because this is when things can spiral out of control, but only if you let them. Rest and ice your knee, and do whatever your doctor says, and know that you CAN keep losing weight even without exercising, but only if you stay strong and positive. Good luck!

@@rosemary79 - please see a Dr. who can also get you a topical NSAID that you can apply as a gel that soaks into your knees. Also check out www.meltmethod.com for pain relief self-care as well. My knees are bad too. They are much better at 65 lbs lighter, but tried to kneel at church today and won't be trying that again anytime soon. Good luck to you!

@@rosemary79 you look great! Can't wait to get skinny like you!!!

My surgeon said I can take nsaid's for 72 hours if I double up on my acid reducer on the days I take the nsaid. I had kidney stones and the ER doc would only give me pain meds in the ER and told me to take nsaids at home. When I told him I couldn't take them he shrugged his shoulders (I think he thought I was a pain med junkie, lol)