Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of regaining it all!

I'm stressing. I got all the way down to 115, and felt like I was too skinny. My face looked sunk in and I looked "older" than I did when I was heavier! I had my gallbladder removed and have gone up to 126... I'm sort of freaking out right now... So I'm coming to you all and getting great info. I work out 3-5 days a week and think that grazing is probably my problem. They (the doctor) had me eating every couple of hours to maintain and now I feel like in in a bad habit after 3 months. They told me to add back in some carbs and I'm getting nervous and scared. I'm starting today back on the eating 3 times a day only... And only if I'm really hungry. I want to listen to my pouch. I truly am worried and would love any tips anyone has!

The strategy in the "Maintenance" phase is different than in the "Weight Loss" phase. Here is a link to a short article that may be of some help. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

I'm ten years out , follow the rules I have gained back 60 pounds of the 110 I lost . I'm stressed out and I started eating poorly with friends. Stay wise ! I'm now having a very difficult time getting off the 60 pounds gained and miserable, depressed & my Dr is no longer practicing . I'm lost

I know how you feel,I have been down to110 to120 for 16 yrs now and all at once I have shot up to 188 Yuk,I do not eat but once a day because I am not hungry,I work out 4 times a week,And still putting on weight I am so confused???

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I know how you feel,I have been down to110 to120 for 16 yrs now and all at once I have shot up to 188 Yuk,I do not eat but once a day because I am not hungry,I work out 4 times a week,And still putting on weight I am so confused???

Sounds like you've put your body into starvation mode. Once a day is not good for your metabolism. Bet if you go back to 5 small meals you may see some movement

I just had my surgery a week ago, candidly the forums have both scared me and made me enthusiastic about the future. So, 1 week in I don't know that my advice is great, but, you've done it before and you can do it again!
I've read a lot about people having revisions, maybe that's something to think about?
Also, not my surgeon but a buddy of mine had a bypass about six months ago and his surgeon wrote a book called "A Pound of Cure" by Matthew Weiner. At his urging I've bought the book and I'm in the process of re-reading it right now. It is the stuff we already (mostly) know but don't practice; spoiler alert, the title of the book is referring to one pound of vegetables a day. Maybe try that for a few months as a kick start? A $10 book is a small investment of it gives you some new tools to work with.
Best of luck to you!

The strategy in the "Maintenance" phase is different than in the "Weight Loss" phase. Here is a link to a short article that may be of some help. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

Thank you so much for posting this James! I found this article very interesting. I am pre-surgery, scheduled for 1/2/18 and I am reading everything I can to ensure I am successful in my endeavor.

Also go to your doctor to see if there could be other contributing factors to your weight gain.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had my surgery a week ago, candidly the forums have both scared me and made me enthusiastic about the future. So, 1 week in I don't know that my advice is great, but, you've done it before and you can do it again!

I've read a lot about people having revisions, maybe that's something to think about?

Also, not my surgeon but a buddy of mine had a bypass about six months ago and his surgeon wrote a book called "A Pound of Cure" by Matthew Weiner. At his urging I've bought the book and I'm in the process of re-reading it right now. It is the stuff we already (mostly) know but don't practice; spoiler alert, the title of the book is referring to one pound of vegetables a day. Maybe try that for a few months as a kick start? A $10 book is a small investment of it gives you some new tools to work with.

Best of luck to you!

In my opinion. A revision is not something to be considered unless all things have been tried. There is an increased risk when going in for another surgery. Also you do not get the reset you get with the first surgery.

The best thing to do in my opinion when you gain. Is to:

Go back to tracking everything you put in your mouth.

Make sure your Fluid is in check.

Make sure your Protein goals are reached.

Reduce carbs for excelerated loss ( I don't eat low carb but if my loss reduces I up my Protein and reduce carbs)

When hungry eat protein it's so filling and your working your tool as you really feel the restriction.

Make sure to not drink calorific drink's it all adds up.

Try and get more sleep.

And so on and so fourth. If someone tries this for months and no movement then perhaps discuss a revision but at this stage it seems to soon..

Not to mention the weight creeping up that much from eating once a day (what is it you eat that once a day ?)

A dr visit is warranted before a surgeons visit to see if there is anything contributing to the weight gain.

That is just my opinion though.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

On 12/14/2015 at 5:17 AM, BubblyTXGirl said:

I'm stressing. I got all the way down to 115, and felt like I was too skinny. My face looked sunk in and I looked "older" than I did when I was heavier! I had my gallbladder removed and have gone up to 126... I'm sort of freaking out right now... So I'm coming to you all and getting great info. I work out 3-5 days a week and think that grazing is probably my problem. They (the doctor) had me eating every couple of hours to maintain and now I feel like in in a bad habit after 3 months. They told me to add back in some carbs and I'm getting nervous and scared. I'm starting today back on the eating 3 times a day only... And only if I'm really hungry. I want to listen to my pouch. I truly am worried and would love any tips anyone has!

You didn't feel good at 115. What weight do you feel healthy at?

I understand the freakout over a weight gain. It's great that you are right on top of this gain and working it back off. I have given myself a 10 pound bounce range to maintain. When the scale moves up. I go back into weightloss eating mode logging food to hit calorie and carb goals. When I get it back to where I feel healthy I try to balance it out with healthy carbs. I seem to be chasing the same 10 to 15 pounds up and down....

I maintained easily the first two years. At three years out it changed. It's easy for me to gain and the weight comes off slowly. (frustrating)

I had to dial in my diet to find the point where my body loses weight. I used a tdee calculator..If interested in the info let me know. Most of maintaining has been trial and error for me.

Wish you the best,

Jenn