Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance usually doesn't require tests. Depending on your health plan, you may have to complete a visit with a Registered Dietician and a psychologist, show a history of your previous weight-loss attempts, and may or may not have to participate in a specified number of months in a structured weight-loss program. Your surgeon will probably require some preop testing: usually at least an EGD, depending on your medical condition(s), maybe also an EKG, always some bloodwork.

I hope this helps.

I had three month pre surgery regimen for insurance. Included continual weight loss, psychologist clearance, four appointments with nutritionist, exercise program. For doc, I had to have cardiac clearance which included heart sonogram and stress test. Had EGD.

Go to a seminar with the surgeon. He/she will give you the checklist of required pre-op tests and procedures. They will check with your insurance and find out what, if anything else, they might require. All of the surgeons have their own rules and requirements

I had to have a psychologist approval, 6 monthly appts with a nutritious, I could not gain weight durning the six month time frame. Then two weeks before surgery I had EKG, Chest X-Ray, and blood work. All pretty normal when you are having surgery.

Edited by grandmaofone

I had 3 months with PCP, psych exam, meeting with nutrition, group meeting, blood work from PCP and that was all. I think this is all based on your health and current conditions, I didn't have any problems so doctor said I didn't need any extra tests.

Just to tell you a quick story... I knew I was going down the Sleeve route at the beginning of this year abou had saved up all my work PTO. I figured 2-3 weeks of recovery should do.

I had no idea if have some 10-15 doctor visits and procedures in the three months prior to surgery (which is in 2 days I might add).

My insurance demanded 90 days of nutrition consultation (Aetna) and the surgeon required no less than 10 different tests and procedures.

This bummed me out because o get like I was getting nickel and dimed to death... But being this close to someone having 5 instruments being poked into me and pulling things out of me....

...damn right I'm happy they have 35 pictures of the inside of my stomach, know what I ate the day before and that I have a mole to the right of my belly button!

I don't want any "gotchas" they didn't know about once they start opening me up.

Hopefully your insurance can cover a lot of the battery of tests you will need and that you hit your max "out of pocket" or come close to it by the time you get to surgery day. My max out of pocket is $2,000 and I'm almost there. I think when it's all said and done, I'm only going to be owing the surgeon $250 due to capping.

Best of luck to you! Get your check list done early! That way nothing delays you and you can better plan your time away from work.