Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall bladder?

Had I still had mine, my surgeon would have removed it during my bypass. He made sure this was clear because more often than not it will have to come out. The data tells them so.

Get it out. That dang thing causes more problems. Gall Bladder attacks are horrible and painful like nothing else - including child birth.

My dr chooses not to remove it. He said 1 in 4 have problems but 3 in 4 do not, so he doesn't feel he should routinely remove it during weight loss surgery.

My dr chooses not to remove it. He said 1 in 4 have problems but 3 in 4 do not, so he doesn't feel he should routinely remove it during weight loss surgery.

My doctor agrees. I, unfortunately, had stones and needed to remove mine. I chose to do them at the same time.

My surgeon will not remove mine. She says most people have stones and it doesn't affect them so she choses to leave it in

Had mine out in September.

My surgeon gave me ursodiol postop for 6 months to prevent gallbladder issues. He did not remove it. I am 8 months postop and it is fine. I wanted it out because I was scared.

I was really hoping they would, but no such luck. My surgeon also had me on medication for it after surgery.

I was hoping to get rid of mine as well, but didn't. My surgeon said that if I had current problems with it he would remove it. Otherwise no go. My mother had hers removed back in the early 90's and I remember how sick she was after so I was a little relieved surgeon didn't want to remove it. But back then, it was an open surgery which seems to make an enormous difference in post op pain/problems. Laparoscopic surgery is such a miracle for recovery. I guess that ages me. Oh well, it's nice to appreciate it.

I am 6 months out and started having problems a few weeks ago and am having surgery Tuesday to get it removed as I have a very large stone.

Had mine out in May of 2015 2 yrs post op

I am 6 months out and started having problems a few weeks ago and am having surgery Tuesday to get it removed as I have a very large stone.

This is my worry.....

I'm on Ursodiol until I hit the 6 month mark (I'm just over 3 now)

- I just know this will be my destiny ... hahaha but it's a no big deal surgery, so if it happens, it happens.

Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery with zero pain :)

Let us know how it goes ok!

My surgeon didn't take it out during WLS but I went back in a few months later. They had found stones but it wasn't a real issue but my surgeon did say I could have issues later on especially when I decide to have children. Since I met my maximum out of pocket and the gallbladder removal wouldn't cost I think I told her to remove it. I had WLS in May and I had my gallbladder removed in September.