Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to focus on the NSV of it all...

So today I got laid off. Makes no sense but supposedly purely a financial decision. They're paying a severance. I'll be fine. 47 years old and first time I have lost a job. BUT I am trying to focus on a few positive things 1) I had insurance pay for my surgery that I might not have had at another company; 2) 100 pounds ago I wouldn't have felt too confident going out to look for a job 3) a little time off might not be a bad thing and 4) so far I haven't turned to food or alcohol as I normally would have and don't have the capacity or ability to do that anyway. Life goes on. This could be worse. It was a good ride while it lasted....

You have a great perspective on the change in your life

Change puts us in situations to grow and overcome. Wishing you the best.

that's what I call having a positive!

all of your points are great ones!

maybe this means that there is just something awesome in the works and losing your job was a blessing in disguise. great attitude!

take care and enjoy your time off!

Thanks guys. Just so it doesn't sound like I m superwoman, I wrote that to try and remind myself of the positives. Tomorrow might be different but today , so far, I'm doing OK. (Well tonight I am. This morning not so much. ????).

I've been laid off twice in my life and I haven't died, the world didn't end or anything like that. Keep finding the positives, definitely enjoy some time off and when you are ready get up and find a great job! Good luck!!

First -- CONGRATs on the awesome weight loss. I noticed you are also a "tall" girl like me -- I would like to know more about how you work your food, fitness, you seem to be a great person as a mentor.

Second - SO sorry to hear you lost your job. That does suck, but severance and unemployment will keep you going for a while. Take that time to determine if this is a time for any additional changes (i.e. career, etc.). I too lost my job, but 23 days prior to my surgery, thank the stars, upon the seperation, they told me insurance would continue through 11/30, surgery was on 11/23, and so far (fingers and toes crossed) no issues.

Trying to focus on NSVs is the best for you right now. Where there is change around us, sometimes it helps to embrace and see what the next chapter in our lives has instore for us.

Katie T

I had gotten laid last June still trying to get a job but had my surgery in August and was able to maintain on severence and unemployment and also recuperated 10 pounds to go to get to the 100 pound loss ..You got this girl!!

@@katiet0526 - Thanks for the kind words. Re diet and exercise, I am not sure I know the secret other than really sticking with the plan. Sometimes it falls off fast and sometimes stalls but I just keep moving forward. I have gotten a TON of great advice from @@Djmohr who is also our height and slightly lower starting weight than you are or I but has lost 134 pounds. She has been great!

So for food, I am getting about 800 calories per day at 6 months post-op. Some days I do go over but not too bad. I generally get between 80-100g protein; 40-50g carbs and 20-30g fat. I still drink at least 1 Protein shake per day. I need to focus better on veggies and better carbs which I am not great with. I didn't like Pasta or rice to begin with so that has helped. I did given in and experiment with chips and cheez-it crackers a few weeks ago and realized it was a slippery slope for me. For me, it is too soon as those are binge foods for me. I do not drink before, during or after my meals. I track my food religiously (have not missed 1 day in 6 months) because it is the only way I know how I am doing. As I get towards the end of the day, I can tell what I need to eat for dinner - more Protein, less fat or more carbs, etc. I have to confess I am not as good with my fluids. I often get my 64 ounces or more but some days, not so much. For exercise, I just finished 12 sessions with a personal trainer (2 per week) but otherwise I am not consistent with my exercise. I walk and do some DVDs (Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone mostly).

See? No secrets. Just stick with and work the program. In the beginning I felt like it was coming off too slowly but it just adds up eventually.

Actually, I think my biggest secret is that I am still meeting with a therapist who specializes in bariatric patients. I see her now every 2 weeks (though in the beginning it was once a week). She has been a huge help in getting me to understand my food addiction. My addiction is not gone (as I found out with a potato chip and subsequent Cheez-It binge), but now that I have finally admitted it is an addiction, I seem to be able face it easier. Some days it is out of just sheer willpower and I white knuckle through the day. Some days I stay busy enough that I am not hungry.

Oh and I had a stricture at about 3 months so because I was getting so sick, I was turned off by food for quite a while. I am much better now but still have to be careful. Tried steak last night for the first time, but it didn't work, so I won't try that one again for a while.

I hope some of that helps. If I can ever help with more specific questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message. :) Maybe I can pass on some of the knowledge and encouragement that I have gotten from some of my mentors on here!

Really sorry to hear about you losing your job before surgery! I cannot imagine how stressful that was/is! Or you @@Niki15! Talk about strong! You guys are total warriors! Keep up the great work!

@@Daisee68

Good morning! I hope today is a good positive one for you. From my experience there will be good days and bad days. I swear getting Layed off is like someone dieing, you really do go through some of the same emotions including sadness and anger.

The best thing you can do for yourself is realize you are young, beautiful both inside and out and you are very intelligent. You will land on your feet and can even come out better off.

Try not to let yourself get down and if you need to make an appointment to see your therapist sooner.

@@Djmohr - Thank you for the kind words. Today was not a good day as I had to call my clients and tell them. I cried most of the day. You are right it is like going through all the stages of grief. I did see my therapist today and I guess it helped a little just to talk to someone who is not in the midst of the turmoil with me. Mostly we talked about having a plan to keep busy to occupy my mind, but right now I am tired and just want to sleep. So many people go through this and much worse and I am trying to keep this in perspective but just wasn't very successful with that part of it today. Perhaps tomorrow will be better....

@@Daisee68

What you are feeling is perfectly normal. It is the sucky part of going through a lay off. I really hope that you slept last night and feel better today.

Hugs