Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some help ladies!

My sister is getting married April 30 2016 and I'm her matron of honor. The dress she chose takes 15 weeks to come in. I'm currently a size 24 but scheduled to be sleeved on December 14th. I'm unsure on what size I should order. I need to order it soon because I know I'll need it altered either way. I just don't want to order it too big. The dress is very comfortable and stretchy -mesh material. I was thinking of going with a size 20 or 18. What do y'all think? I'd greatly appreciate your suggestions!

Go bigger than what you think you will be. I was in a wedding and guessed my dress size. Was off and had to have the dress let out, while I got lucky and only needed a tiny extra room in order to zip the dress up. It's easier to take a dress in than to try and let it out and if it takes 15 weeks to get (ridiculous btw) then you don't want to take the chance of the dress being too small.

Thanks! I may stick with the 20. The good thing is that the dress is slinky and gives a good bit. Not like that stiff, uncomfortable, non budging satin or chiffon.

yea I would order it larger, it is easier to take it in later than to let it out

I went from a 28 to a 20 in 4 months. You might be a lot smaller than you think in April. I think an 18 would be a safer bet, especially if it is stretchy.

@@Ravend26 -- I don't sew, but know that stretchy fabrics are more tricky to work with than non-stretch. Here are two suggestions, the second maybe not so far-fetched as it sounds.

1) Talk with the people at the shop, including the one who will do alterations. They should know how full-cut or skimpily-cut the dress is and guide you on which to order. Keep in mind that clothes can be taken in just so much and then there's no point, e.g., the frill meant to be on the left shoulder would end up under the right arm.

2) Will they order 18 and 20 for you and take back the one that's less suited when it's time to do alterations? Nothing to lose by asking.

This is definitely a tough one. It also depends on whether or not you become a fast loser or a slow loser.

I was very fast in the beginning and then at around 6 months post op, everything slowed way down.

I will say I dropped from a 26 to a 16 in 5 months.

I had bypass and I do think bypass patients tend to lose faster in the beginning and then it all evens out. Not sure what surgery you are having.

If you can get 2 sizes and return one, that would be best.

I went from size 22 - 14 in 5 months. I had a quick loss as I was super strict with my advice from the nutritionist.

I think it is much easier to take up a dress than let it out. Personally, I would go with the larger size. You don't need the added pressure of being "required" to lose a certain amount of weight. If it's too big, excellent! It can be taken in.

I agree that you should talk frankly with whoever you are buying the dress from. They may let you order two dresses and return one. They may be able to schedule the order so you can place it later or have another solution.

Also, keep in mind that not only do we lose at different rates, our body shape is unpredictable. You may lose faster in your upper body or vice versa, so depending on the design of the dress you might be between several sizes.

I'm buying the dress from David's bridal. I spoke to them about this issue when we went to try them on 2 months ago. Buying 2 dresses in different sizes then returning one didn't seem like an option. She told us the dress was not premade in the color my sister wanted which is why it takes so long to get in. I'm having my own seamstress do my alterations.

Edited by Ravend26

Before you order, check out a few key fit areas. How deep are the armholes cut? Are you broader, or narrower, across the shoulders? I'm talking about your bone structure here, not so much your weight. If you buy a size that's WAY too large, the armhole may be too deep, which can't be fixed. If the shoulders are too broad, it's sometimes hard to take that in. Similarly, if the neckline becomes too big for you, will that change the look of the dress?

I'd have a chat with your seamstress beforehand. Show her a picture of the dress. She will likely have good advice for you on the key elements of your dress, and how to get the best option for her to work with.

Edited by 2goldengirl

@Ravend26- I have the same issue. (my sister in law is getting married on the same day!) We ordered ours from David's too, I wore a size 22 when I tried the dress on and they ordered a 18 for me. It takes the same amount of time for our dresses to come in also, but they did tell me to come in the first week of February and try on a size 18 in that dress. If it looked like it was close to fitting they would try to do a rush order and get the dress in a 16 (or smaller if needed). I would much rather pay the 20.00 rush fee than pay 60.00+ in alterations. They may be able to do that for you as well. Hope that helps!