Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The challenges of a NEW JOB

Away in a hotel all week and being treated to lunch and dinner by new boss. Hotel Breakfast is easy as they have scrambled eggs and fruit options ????????????????

Salads are always the best option ( with grilled chicken) for lunch.< /p>

Was doing so well until boss decided to take a quick lunch at Chick Filet.... Being from NY , he insisted I "had to try the signature sandwich" I told him I didn't eat bread or fried food but he didn't understand and said I just needed to " try one bite" I ordered the sandwich with a side of fruit - terrified I had a bite. Mind you, I haven't eaten bread or fried food or any type of fast food ( among other things) since surgery exactly 7 months ago.

Obviously I could have ordered a salad and ignored the peer pressure so it was all my own doing having gotten myself into this situation sitting face to face with an outrageously high calorie fast food sandwich.

I battled my way through 2 bites of the sandwich before turning to my fruit ( which is actually a very healthy serving of fresh fruit) and finish that tucking the sandwich away seemingly for later. That was my trick.

However, things did not go well back at the meeting room. Shortly after we got back to training , my poor new little stomach began to gurgle????

I finally had to excuse myself and bolt to my hotel room where I spent the next half hour in the bathroom scared and sick ....

As I prepared to head back downstairs - making up some excuse as to why I left for a while, I was suddenly thankful! I know it sounds strange and maybe some of you can understand why... I was grateful that I got sick from even just a couple bites of deep fried chicken / fast food . Yes so grateful because that means I am one of the lucky ones who was saved by an adverse effect from" bad food" - saved because it means I will not be trying that again! Not even a little.

That chalks it up to a deterrent and one which I am happy to have in my Arsenal of weapons against weight regain. Some people are able to eat bad foods again and have to rely on will power before their habits have completely changed. I'm feeling lucky that I have that aversion.

Having said that, ultimately today I failed one key test that was posed to me with regards to a new job and pressures that arise around food and new people. I am disappointed in myself for not standing my ground and not having a better plan to protect my valid healthy eating choices. I need to do better and prepare myself for the obstacles and the stuff life throws at us.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I actually can look back on this afternoon and laugh while still feeling blessed. I'm 20lbs from my goal weight and just need to stay the course. ( no offense but the Chick Filet sandwich wasn't worth it)

E~

Great story. I'm glad it all worked out for you, and you're almost to goal too!

UGH! How frustrating! I completely understand giving in to that pressure though and don't think you have failed. It sounds like you handled it well. My thought would be next time a small white lie like "I have a medical issue that doesn't allow me to eat fried foods" If pressed you could say specifically gallbladder issues?

PS I have been CRAVING a chicken biscuit from there. Not going to try it now thanks to you. They do have really good grilled chicken nuggets and get the buffalo sauce (lowest calorie and keeps the meat moist) in case you find yourself there again!

Wow!! I wish that I had that issue. I have found very few things I can't eat. chips and salsa are the cultural norm around here. Fighting with myself to grab a chip is painful. I resort to ordering a glass of Water breathe out of my mouth. My will power is not as strong as I wish it could be. I have had waitresses take the basket away or if I'm with a group I tell them to put it out of my reach. Chick Fil a kids meal with grilled biggest and fruit is a great option.