Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There is a new Lap band in town people I was told about this earlier today while at the clinic, it is supposed to be a lot better that the ones that are out there. It is called the AP Lap band I just looked it up go to I just typed in AP LapBand and let the computer do the rest, it sounds very promising for us future bandsters my Dr. will be using this on me and his other patients.:clap2:

my ticker does not work now what do I do?:help:

i have one!

I just was banded with an AP large 07-11-07 in Detroit. My doctor has been using them only, in his patients for 1 year. States if you become ill (ie cancer, joint replacement, pregnant) it can be opened up more allowing you to get the more nutrition and eat easier. I like a forward thinking doctor.

I just was banded with an AP large 07-11-07 in Detroit. My doctor has been using them only, in his patients for 1 year. States if you become ill (ie cancer, joint replacement, pregnant) it can be opened up more allowing you to get the more nutrition and eat easier. I like a forward thinking doctor.

I am going for my consultation on Tuesday July 24th and I am interested about this new band. I went to the link that Band Chick gave us . Thanks for that. I tried to look up more info and there is not much out there in why it is so much bettter. On the site it says that it is 360 degrees but I thought the current one is also. Is the band thinner or the port better? Why would I want this band as opposed to the current band. I also thought that the current band can be deflated all the way which allows for pregnancy or illness also. Is that true or not? I thought I had really researched this lap band and now I realize I don't know anything again.

I am going for my consultation on Tuesday July 24th and I am interested about this new band. I went to the link that Band Chick gave us . Thanks for that. I tried to look up more info and there is not much out there in why it is so much bettter. On the site it says that it is 360 degrees but I thought the current one is also. Is the band thinner or the port better? Why would I want this band as opposed to the current band. I also thought that the current band can be deflated all the way which allows for pregnancy or illness also. Is that true or not? I thought I had really researched this lap band and now I realize I don't know anything again.

Most of the change to the new band is the inner, expandable ring, that fills up with saline.

If you look at the old band, the inside that expands doesn't go all the way around. The new one does. It has a few other improvements as well.

Here's a link to a picture of the old Lap Band http://www.lapsurgery.com/BARIATRIC%20SURGERY/LAP_BAND_1.jpg

Here is a link to the manufacturers Directions For Use for the new Lap Band AP (including a picture) http://www.lapbandcentral.com/lapbandcenter/documents/dfu/L013-2.pdf

Kathy,

Thank you for posting the link to the manufacturer's directions re the new AP band. Since its sunday i took the time and read through it. How FASCINATING! some things i knew but some things described were brand new. how wild!

noted that they said the ap band isnt a lifetime product. if it gets me to fifty nine, ill be thrilled.

Lepez,

The diameter (the hole in the center which food goes through) is larger than the original band. It allows for more Fluid to go in to it (my understanding is 11mL). So if you get ill you can get more food therough the hole when all the saline is out. My understanding is the first two fills are 3 mL each and then it depends on how you are doing.

Honestly almost 2 weeks out from surgery I have lost 12 lbs!!:whoo:

But realistically, I know the weight will not cont. to come off that fast once I go to "mushies". That's OK. I plan on getting my first fill in 2 weeks. I don't think I have any restriction at this point, but I had to pay myself for the surgery, I'll be taking no chances messing up my investment.

226/214/202/120?

Lepez,

The diameter (the hole in the center which food goes through) is larger than the original band. It allows for more Fluid to go in to it (my understanding is 11mL). So if you get ill you can get more food therough the hole when all the saline is out. My understanding is the first two fills are 3 mL each and then it depends on how you are doing.

Honestly almost 2 weeks out from surgery I have lost 12 lbs!!:whoo:

But realistically, I know the weight will not cont. to come off that fast once I go to "mushies". That's OK. I plan on getting my first fill in 2 weeks. I don't think I have any restriction at this point, but I had to pay myself for the surgery, I'll be taking no chances messing up my investment.

226/214/202/120?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS. I WENT FOR MY CONSULT AND MY DOCTOR IS NOT WORKING WITH THE AP. HE SAID THAT THERE IS ONE COMING OUT IN 2008 THAT HE WILL SWITCH TO. I DON'T WANT TO WAIT SO I WILL BE GETTING THE VG BAND. I HOPE I AM NOT MAKING A MISTAKE BY WANTING TO HAVE THE SURGERY SOONER.

Hi All -

My original surgery was scheduled for June 29th with the original VG band. After finding information on the AP band I decided to call my doctor and ask if that was something that they were using. They told me they didn't know much about it, and were probably not going to be getting it anytime soon. Apparently after my discussion with them, they sent their head nurse to a conference strictly on the AP band. By the time that I went for my 2 week pre-op appointment, my doctor and nurse had done so much research on the AP band, they said they had them on order, but they would not be available to them until July 16th. I re-scheduled my surgery for July 20th. The best part is - they didn't charge me anymore for the AP band than they did for the regular band.

My surgery went extremely well, and I am soooo happy that I decided to postpone my surgery for the newer, better model. I was the first person that my doctor had ever used this band on, which freightened my DH a bit, but didn't make me at all nervous.

Apparently my doctor and nurse were so excited about my new band that they filled it, and unfilled while they were operating on me. They wanted to make sure that there weren't any leaks - which I am incredibly thankful for.

I am so happy with my large AP band - I'm just so glad that I decided to wait. My advise is to have your doctor check into it, and perhaps attend a seminar that will help them in making their decision to get the new band.

Good luck to all no matter which band you get!

I will be getting the new band when I get banded on the 31st. My doctor stated that it required less pre- and post-op dieting, which I was glad of. I only have 1 week both ways and then move to mushies......

Good luck to all those being banded soon!!

Thanks for your responses. I went for my consultation appointment yesterday and my Dr. uses the VG band. He said he doesnt want to switch to the AP because a new one is coming out in 2008 and he will switch to that one. I am bummed because I want my surgery as soon as I am approved but unsure if I should wait till 2008 for the new one. Bummer.

WOW Jackie WAY to go!!!! Just think you helped every single one of the future bandsters in your docs office!

My doc uses both.. he calls them the small band and large band... he says he makes the decision which one to use after he sees our insides.

I have the small band, but the other two ladies that were banded the same day both had the larger band.

the last fill worked.

i have 6.5cc's in the small ap band (ten cc)...and ive been at perfect restriction since the last fill (july 14).

I had stopped losing and was really struggling prior to being rebanded, and this was my first significant fill since the surgery. He put five cc's in there at surgery and this last one and a half cc did the job. i may be too tight. Im journaling and keeping record of everything because mornings i cant eat at all, i usually cant eat anything until around one pm, and then we are talking two oz of food, like ground beef and Beans mixed together, or tuna salad. dinner is tricky too.

ive discovered lobster doesnt disintegrate. Not even a little. At 25 bux a pop for a pound and a halfer (with shell on) i was hoping to eat the tail and give the rest to my son...no dice..it just doesnt break down, so it all came back to object.

im at my all time low since starting this, 275.

im hoping that by the time i go back in next month (aug 22), i hope to be below that. Im biking each morning and walking each night. (two hours total) we dont have a gym in town anymore.

We have a physical therapy place that might open one up to public fitness though. I have my fingers crossed.