Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@beachgal2935

Wow girl, very scary! I am so glad you got yourself healthy.

You look absolutely fantastic. Congratulations!

I was in your shoes too. I am still pre-op but am now at peace with the idea of bypass. It seems like the best bet.

I was dead set on the sleeve when I started. But once I was a few months in I began to wonder if the bypass would be a better option for me.

I was concerned about the GERD issue and also thought I would benefit more from both restriction and malabsorption. I also had a serious sweet tooth, and thought the "fear" of dumping would help me curtail that addiction. And it's working too, as I've never dumped or even tested the waters with high sugar, carbs, or fats.

I had no definitive health issues, other than being pre diabetic (which I no longer am), that would have forced me to have one procedure over another. The decision was mine. I chose the one that I felt best fit my personal needs, and I have zero regrets.

LASIK ruled my world for "best decision ever" from 2008 and beyond. But as of 07/29/15 it's been overwhelmingly dethroned by RNY. I still have a ways to go, but my quality of life is already so much better! I feel younger. I have so much more energy. Everyday is better than the one before!

Edited by The Post Op

@@Djmohr Thank you!

I forgot to mention that I am 5'4 and 323lbs. Although I take oral meds for diabetes I don't have hypertension but my weight and diabetes alone is very scary. I have seen comments about the gastric sleeve vs bypass the main argument is the "rewiring". You guys i just want to get healthy for myself and my kids. I mean they say the bypass has complications but dude so does diabetes. Idk thoughts anyone?

The rerouting is really not that big of a deal it does feel wierd at the beginning but you will get used to it ..Think about this though with the sleeve they are taking out the majority of your stomach you cannot get that back with the bypass if they really had to they could redo it in case of emergency..

I was dead set on the sleeve when I started. But once I was a few months in I began to wonder if the bypass would be a better option for me.

I was concerned about the GERD issue and also thought I would benefit more from both restriction and malabsorption. I also had a serious sweet tooth, and thought the "fear" of dumping would help me curtail that addiction. And it's working too, as I've never dumped or even tested the waters with high sugar, carbs, or fats.

I had no definitive health issues, other than being pre diabetic (which I no longer am), that would have forced me to have one procedure over another. The decision was mine. I chose the one that I felt best fit my personal needs, and I have zero regrets.

LASIK ruled my world for "best decision ever" from 2008 and beyond. But as of 07/29/15 it's been overwhelmingly dethroned by RNY. I still have a ways to go, but my quality of life is already so much better! I feel younger. I have so much more energy. Everyday is better than the one before!

Congratulations! Your story makes me excited for my Dec 1 surgery--and beyond!

I am loving all of these responses. My family is very supportive, but it's nice to have a place like this to talk things out. It helps me to feel like I'm not annoying my loved ones when I have questions, thoughts, etc. :P

Since deciding on the bypass, I have learned that I was a bit more nervous about losing part of my stomach than I realized. I now have 100% peace with my WLS decision. Now to only get through the insurance approval process which is my only barrier. I will be completely devastated if denied since I clearly can't afford to pay for this out of pocket. Thoughts and prayers as I am nearing the paperwork submission step would be greatly appreciated :)

As I originally stated- my employer has been 100% supportive. He only wants me to be happy and healthy. Friday he asked me if I had asked my doctor what life would look like in 20 years after the bypass. A valid question in my opinion. But I couldn't help but to respond with "I can only imagine my life looking better in 20 years WITH THE surgery than without." My father had 3 heart attacks..with his last one resulting in 5 bypasses. All of his brothers and sisters (6 total) have had heart attacks. And the same situation on my mom's side with the exception of her, who has not had any heart issues, thank God. My surgeon stated it best- my genetics are against me and have basically set me up for failure. So in all honesty- the odds appear to be more in my favor when I am 47 if I don't go forward with the surgery. As much as I long for children- my desire to live a longer and healthier life is much more at this point. At the rate I am going- I don't forsee myself living past 50. And I'm not ok with that. I gained an all new perspective of age/life when I began working in Healthcare and 50 is FAR from old. This is how I plan to take control of my life, much like everyone else here. And I. Can't. WAIT!

You look absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing your story! You just made me that much more excited.

@sassyfrass23 First of all Congrats on making this life changing decision at such a young age! Being 54, I wish I'd have done this 25 years ago. So here goes my story ...

I had surgery at mayo and went in wanting the sleeve and after hearing both sides of the story, opted for RNY. You see, I too have a family history of heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type II diabetes. I had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my son and then diagnosed with type II only a year later. I'd been a type II diabetic for 10+ years and because I'd "gotten busy with life" and not been taking care of myself, I had a stroke at age 52. At that point my A1C was 11.2 and my blood pressure was 195/112! When I was told RNY would give me an 85% chance of sending my diabetes into remission, I needed to hear no more. That's the route I chose and off all my meds I came immediately after surgery. That included my high blood pressure meds as well.

Mayo doesn't do the band surgery anymore because their research found that merely restricting calories did not prove to last long term. While they do perform the sleeve procedure, they fear it may have the same results in the long term. The sleeve procedure has only been around 10 years so the research isn't there like RNY which has been around 50+ years.

In an aftercare meeting it broke my heart to hear one of the men, who had the sleeve only 2 months ago, say that he told his fellow firefighters to just cook like they always do and he'd just eat smaller portions. He went on to explain all the "unhealthy" foods they normally prepare - yuck! Last month he even stated he ate half of a Subway sandwich and felt no discomfort. Was so proud he only eaten half. I winced. This surgery is a tool to give us a once in a lifetime chance to change our food choices, not to just eat less of the crap we ate before we had it. They remind us each month at our meetings "This isn't brain surgery, it's gut surgery!" Once our cravings come back, in a year or so, then what?! If you haven't made those life changing choices, you'll gradually increase your portions, begin snacking and you will regain the weight. So many people do!!!!

I encourage you to make the best decision for YOU! I see so many people, on here especially, do a "revision" from band to RNY or "sleeve" to RNY and for me I wanted it to be One and Done! FYI - I had RNY at 8 a.m. on a Tuesday and was home at 6 p.m. the next day. Took 2 pain pills as a precaution the day after and then I was done. Felt wonderful from that point on. I've never had dumping syndrome but I follow my Mayo eating plan and am so happy that at less than 7 months post-op, I've lost 90 lbs. Not bad for an old gal! Best of Luck to you :D

P.S. Take "Before" pics. They weren't easy for me to do but glad I did because it's nice to look back and remember where I started. Here's a pic at my HW 285 SW 257 6monthW 175

Weigh to go, sassy! :)

I'm glad you're reaching a point of peace with RNY.

You are so right--you're going to be so much healthier than if you didn't have it! And there's no reason not to have children down the road when you're ready.

I do worry about regain. I'm trying to get it in my head that this is NOT a silver bullet for the rest of my life (and I'm OLD now, 61!), but I'm going to have to work at it just like before, except I'll have a food buddy with me everywhere I go, helping me remember what a healthy portion size is and what healthy foods are. I need that buddy!

I start pre-diet Saturday! Argh! Excited but nervous....can i do it? I WILL do it. I may be grouchy though! LOL

p.s. I do pray that your insurance company will be cooperative!

I have had a London and continuous struggle with this lap band and I was going for the sleeve....did the research and found that RNY is a better option ...Lets see..PCOS,GERD,hiatal hernia,mild sleep apnea,hypoglycemic,post metatasic breast cancer and high cholesterol....Too many medications...I want to live healthy and feel great inside and out 51 and my tentative surgery date is December 28....oh yeah my lapband flipped recently....RNY is my new gold standard...looking forward and need support.Love this thread.

Correction typo lapband

I am loving all of these responses. My family is very supportive, but it's nice to have a place like this to talk things out. It helps me to feel like I'm not annoying my loved ones when I have questions, thoughts, etc. :P

Since deciding on the bypass, I have learned that I was a bit more nervous about losing part of my stomach than I realized. I now have 100% peace with my WLS decision. Now to only get through the insurance approval process which is my only barrier. I will be completely devastated if denied since I clearly can't afford to pay for this out of pocket. Thoughts and prayers as I am nearing the paperwork submission step would be greatly appreciated :)

As I originally stated- my employer has been 100% supportive. He only wants me to be happy and healthy. Friday he asked me if I had asked my doctor what life would look like in 20 years after the bypass. A valid question in my opinion. But I couldn't help but to respond with "I can only imagine my life looking better in 20 years WITH THE surgery than without." My father had 3 heart attacks..with his last one resulting in 5 bypasses. All of his brothers and sisters (6 total) have had heart attacks. And the same situation on my mom's side with the exception of her, who has not had any heart issues, thank God. My surgeon stated it best- my genetics are against me and have basically set me up for failure. So in all honesty- the odds appear to be more in my favor when I am 47 if I don't go forward with the surgery. As much as I long for children- my desire to live a longer and healthier life is much more at this point. At the rate I am going- I don't forsee myself living past 50. And I'm not ok with that. I gained an all new perspective of age/life when I began working in Healthcare and 50 is FAR from old. This is how I plan to take control of my life, much like everyone else here. And I. Can't. WAIT!

Teared up a little here.

Yes it does sound that this surgery could potentially save your life. With heart disease so dominate in your family.. yikes!

I hope this all falls into place for you and you live a long healthy life.

Live to be 105 woman! ????