Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Lap Band/ Many Concerns

help.gifI am considering Lap Band. I have been overweight most of my life. I am only 22 and I need to loose around 100 pounds. I have many concerns about lap band.

1) I want more children and I am affraid that the lap band can cause problems. Can there be problems during delivery?

2) I am scared of having excess skin. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

3) I am really scared I will regret it.think.gif

4) I will be misserable watching people around me eat the foods I enjoy, and not be able to have them too.hungry.gif

5) Can you feel the band, does it hurt?

6) I am diabetic. Higher risk of getting an infection. Any diabetics had this done.

7) The doctors I am going to use have only done either 450 or 550 lap bands! They are are from Texarkana Texas? Anyone used doctors from this area?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sure this is right for me!nervous.gif

I am going to attempt some answers as my opinion:

1) I want more children and I am affraid that the lap band can cause problems. Can there be problems during delivery? many bandsters have healthy happy children and have no effects from the band. Generally when you get pregnant you will have an unfill and basically just have a Bracelet for your tummy.

2) I am scared of having excess skin. Has anyone else had a problem with this? Yes, this is a hazard of weight loss, but the health outweighs the sagging skin. Plus, with cosmetic surgery, the fix is a snap! Also, it depends on your individual skin type too. Some people don't need any work done at all.

3) I am really scared I will regret it.think.gif The only thing I regret is not really realizing that the band is long term NOT lifelong. It is not designed to be with you forever. The general time frame of the band is 2-10 years. And it might need some "maintenance" during that time.

4) I will be misserable watching people around me eat the foods I enjoy, and not be able to have them too.hungry.gifI grieved food for about 4 months. After that, nothin'! It was amazing to me that I didn't care anymore when just 1/2 a year before I couldn't even dream about not being misreble without food. You can still eat a lot of the food you enjoy, just in smaller portions.

5) Can you feel the band, does it hurt? When I first got my band I was aware of having had surgery, soreness and that something "foreign" was in my body. However, it went away within a few weeks and many times I don't even think about it. How I explain it to others is this: It's like the first time you used a tampon. At first it was kinda uncomfortable and you knew it was there, but before long, it was your absolute choice and necessity!

6) I am diabetic. Higher risk of getting an infection. Any diabetics had this done. Most bandsters lose their diabetic status within the first year.

7) The doctors I am going to use have only done either 450 or 550 lap bands! They are are from Texarkana Texas? Anyone used doctors from this area? Nope, can't help with this one. Try going to the Texas forum and see if someone is in your area and send them a message? Most people here are eager to help and are very nice.

Do this! It's the absolute best thing that I've ever done for myself. I was a diabetic. 3 months after surgery, I was off off all meds.

I can feel my port.....it's not noticeable since it's on my tummy. When I feel it, I think of it lovingly as my friend. Some docs place the port on the chest. I'd hate that..the scar shows.

Yes, I have saggy skin in places but I feel so much better that it doesn't matter. I know there will be more but I can have that taken care of as soon as I get all the weight off and the surgery paid for. ( I am a self-pay...$19,000.00 and worth every penny).You're young, your skin will gain back it's elasticity better than some of ours.

I don't miss all those bad things that I used to love to eat at all. Your tastes will change. Or at least mine did. I no longer even think about bread, potatoes or softdrinks. I still love cheescake and indulge once in a great while. I can't eat steak and Pasta any longer but so what? I feel GREAT!!!

I just had a deli slice of turkey and a deli slice of swiss cheese with mustard and I'm full!!!! Just took the turkey and put the chesses inside with a little mustard, rolled it up and VOILA!!! Lunch! Easy, cheap, filling and good for you. Going out is difficult at first, but you learn what to order.

As for having babies, you'll be fine. You can have your doc remove Fluid from the band for pregnancy and have it refilled after the baby gets here. You'll have less complications during pregnancy if you lose the weight now before you get pregnant.

Go for it!!!!! You won't regret it.

Loving my band!!