Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Working out, how soon?

How soon did you start working out? My paperwork states 6 weeks is when I can start. However, I see people working out well before that. I also have been doing a lot of walking when shopping the last few days with my mom. I know it's probably best to wait a while, I'll keep up the walking as I know my body is still healing (still have a little pain with my abdomen). Just wondering how long others waited.

To walk? The day after surgery, get going. Perhaps give it a couple days and work up to a good distance. It depends on how much walking you were doing before the surgery. I was over 8 miles a day on average with 5.2 miles in my morning PT. I did the 5.2 a week out and it was okay, I was nervous about hydration, but worked out a system that works very well. I actually just added 1.5 miles to my morning PT, and am still getting used to it, it adds a lot of terrain instead of nice flat trails, but that's good.

As for lifting weights, I was cleared at 2 weeks for up to 20 pounds but nothing abdominal. I've just kind of held off until I am fully cleared, then i'll start back up with push ups and sit ups, then make a decision about my home gym, either complete it, or get a gym membership. I live in NH so walking in the winter is VERY hard, So I can either buy an elliptical machine or get a gym membership and use whatever they have there. It's costly either way. Although I see the gym as a better investment, in spite of the fact that I love my morning walks, I can only do them until the snow blocks my path, so I have 7-10 months a year I can walk outside.

As for the walking thing though, after a week there really were no restrictions. In fact my surgeon, was miffed I had back ed down at the 2 week checkup, I listened to everyone screaming at me to "slow down" "you're healing" "don't push yourself" He told me to get marching. No limits, whatever I could tolerate. Hope this helps.

I agree that as far as walking is concerned, you should start immediately (same day of surgery I was walking up and down the corridor in the hospital). I was up to 2.5 miles by the end of the first week, and by three weeks I was up to 4-5 miles a day.

However, for weight lifting and other vigorous activities, my doctor said to wait 6 weeks. So I did. Last week he finally gave me the OK to do anything I want, so I immediately signed up for a karate class. It's great. I hate working out at the gym, and this gives me cardio, strength training, flexibility, and a sense of doing something useful (not to mention it is a social activity).

I got lots of advice to not lift any weights over 15 pounds too soon or I might pull or damage something. I don't fool around with that. Six weeks is really not that long to be safe.

Thanks! 6 weeks was what my doc said too. Of course I started walking the day of surgery and haven't stopped. I only took it a little easier on days I was in a lot of pain but now I'm almost in the clear with the pain so I'm walking every day now.

My concern was more for gym activity, so I guess 6 weeks it is. And I'll also keep in mind to not lift too much weight too soon! I miss the gym and want to go back as soon as I can.