Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Fills / Adjustment Info

Does anyone here get small adjustments like .10cc's. My doctor only seems to do in .50 increments and I feel like I need smaller adjustments to get to my sweet spot. I'm having real trouble finding the right space.

Does he do it under Floro? It is better to do little by little because that tiny bit can get you to the sweet spot and too big of one can get you too tight. I was too tight for three months and was miserable. You don't want to do that and your body usually takes about a week to really tell you if your tighter or not. Usually if you drink the powdered stuff under the floro your dr can see how fast or slow the liquid goes down. That is how your dr knows if he needs to back some out or add too.

My doctor does not use the fluro. He said "if you know what your're doing you don't need it" ha ha. It sounds like people who get the fluro get a better handle on getting to the best sweet spot possible. WEll he doesn't do them so I have to get him to do smaller fills and/or unfills as needed. Or I have to try one of the other doctors in his practice which is what I think I will do. thanks for the support

Just had my second fill (2cc) a week ago and I am having trouble keeping ANYTHING except liquids down. I was kinda hoping this would work itself out, but I don't know if maybe I am pushing too fast or should I just sit back and let my body adjust?

My first fill was 3cc and I had no problem, but then I really wasn't feeling anything before that, so it was not that big of a change. I am sure this question has been asked before, but I don't have the time or patience to go thru the whole thread.

SO, do I need to call my Dr. or should I just ride it out? My meds go down fine. Maybe I am eating too much at one time?

Anyhow, anything in the way of advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Arekaybee

Sounds like you're a little too restricted, especially if it tightens up like it does sometimes after a week or two. However you might try something before you give up on it and get an unfill.

Try taking very, very small bites and then chew each bite 32 times before you try to swallow. 32 times is a whole lot. Most foods are completely disentegrated by the time you've done that. Consequently, you can get it down without a problem. However you have to wait a little while between each bite - like almost a minute - to see if whatever you just chewed is going to feel stuck. That stuck feeling doesn't always happen right away and you don't want to find out the hard way!

If you go very, very slow with this, you may only be able to eat a few bites at each meal or when you're having a between meal snack, but that's okay because you'll be noticing a nice weight loss in good time. When you can't eat very much when you are this restricted, high Protein Snacks between meals are important so that you don't break down and eat something like a shake or ice cream that is high calorie because you're so hungry.

Patience is the key. 32 chews is hard to do sometimes, but it is very important. If after trying this really slow methodical eating, you're still only able to manage liquids, I'd call the doc and see what he says. The good thing is that you will have already given it a lot of effort and you can tell him about it.

BJean

I really liked your post. You explain it so perfectly what we go through. I'm going to work on the 32 chews. Thanks.

Thanks. It took me many painful PBs to realize exactly why my doctor and dietician were telling me to slow down, take small bites and to chew, chew, chew.

An interesting aside is that Nancy Reagan once claimed that she stayed slim by chewing each bite 32 times.

BJ

I have to tell you this chew 32 times is not easy. Nor is waiting between bites, But I'm trying. I wrote on my hand "chew slow" so maybe I'll remember each time i try to eat

Edited by Bandana

Oh don't I know it!! Some things just won't last 32 chews. But if you do it, things even like a piece of chicken or steak or just about anything, won't wind up being big enough to get stuck. It's been a Godsend for me. Great idea to write it on your hand! Whatever it takes to get us to our goals.

Good morning everyone.

I have had 6 cc put in and still feel nothing at all. Its like the nurse is missing my port.

I had that much fill before and was where I felt like I needed to be, then I got sick, dehydrated spent the night in the hospital with an iv. Dr. said he thought it was from sinus infection, too much coughing and etc.

He took it all back out and started me over again.

Before when they would do a fill I could feel something then. Now its not there.

All this while I have started gaining some weight back. I did the write down what you eat, no help. I even bumped the exercise up a notch. Still the scales didn't move down.

Last week, I got upset and said enough is enough.

Right or wrong, I started the Dr. Atkins diet.I have lost 5 pounds this week.I plan on staying on Atkins until the band starts doing its thing.

I also plan on asking the Dr. to do the swollow test to see what the band is doing or not doing.

Has anyone else done the Atkins diet?

Has anyone NOT done the Adkins diet?

It usually works for me if I don't stay on it for too long. If I do try to lose a lot of weight with Adkins, after a month or so, I go berserk and eat carbohydrates non-stop for a month. Like a freak without nature.

Did you gain any weight back when you quit Atkins?

My Dr. told me not to join Weight Watchers, they don't count calories and I'm not suppose to eat more than 800-1200 calories a day.

I can just see the nurse's face if she found out I was on Atkins. That is very high calories and fat

The reason that Adkins works is because it is mostly Protein. If you have the Lap Band, it is probably difficult for you to get enough protein, especially if you are severely restricted. So my doctor doesn't discourage an Adkins type diet. His dietician has always stressed that we eat our protein first at any meal. And also the reason that they suggest adding a whey Protein Shake if you are having trouble with hunger.

The actual Adkins diet is so restrictive that when I have gone on it, by the book, for a long time, and I finally start craving carbohydrates and get out of control and eat them exclusively for a while, then yes, I certainly have regained the weight. Hence the Lap Band surgery.

Went to Dr. today. Had lost 7 pounds. He was thrilled ask me what I did different. I told him about Atkins diet. He said he don't like that diet and he advised people to only go on a diet they could live the rest of their life on.

When I ask about gaining weight back I was talking about with the lapband. I also went on Atkins when I was younger. Lost gobs of weight. Over the years gained it back and then some. I was on one diet or another from the time I was 14 until I got the band.

Today, I started making notes of what I eat. Again. Maybe this time I will keep the notes more than 3 weeks.

You know, I quit smoking 7 years ago, I can do this too.

I agree with your doc - diets are bad. I always regained weight when I went on a diet. Got me where I am today. I misunderstood, I thought you were asking if I gained the weight back after dieting.

I don't know about the Lab Band. I have regained some lbs. over xmas, but I feel certain I can take it back off again, whereas before the band, I probably wouldn't have lost those pounds.

Good luck! If you're writing down everything you eat, you might consider the Body Bugg for additional information. You can order it online or get it at 24 Hour Fitness. I learned a lot when I wore it. I just got tired of keeping track of everything I ate.