Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The last two days have been really rough.

I had surgery on 10/12/15 and for the first 4 days I felt pretty darn wonderful. I had a little bit of allergies or a cold coming on at the time of surgery, but my Dr wasn't concerned and performed the procedure anyhow. I did a lot of walking and didn't have the gas pain so many people deal with post op. I actually walked about 5 miles on day 3 and felt energized.

I had noticed a small rash on my abdomen on about day 3-4 but it was localized to where they had applied betadine for surgery so I thought little of it as I tend to have pretty sensitive skin. The rash stayed the same for the next day or so. On day 5 I noticed it had moved to my chest area and was now itchy. I applied some hydrocortisone cream and figured it was going to go away.

On day 6, I had completed the course of pain medicine from my surgeon and I wasn't too worried about it because I was in little to no pain. My cold/allergies started acting up and I coughed a few times and had the most excruciating pain I have ever felt right between two of my incisions. It felt like a tearing or ripping sensation and was very sharp.

After this happened a few times I decided I would take some Tylenol to take the edge off a little. It seemed to dull the pain a bit so I felt a little relief. I had been doing really well with fluids so I thought I would give Jello a try for a little change. I was only able to eat about half of the Jello cup before I starting feeling pretty sick so I gave the rest to my BF to finish.

I decided maybe a shower would be nice and get my mind of feeling lousy from pain and Jello. I went to get into the shower and looked in the mirror to check out my incisions. I then noticed that the rash was now all over my arms, face, and neck. My BF said maybe I should take a Benadryl so I did thinking that would help.

It did not help. I spent the next 8-10 hours having severe vomiting, diarrhea, and pain. I was able to keep down some Powerade finally and took an omeprazole, which thankfully also stayed put.

I started thinking about what could possibly have caused this rash to appear because at this point it was pretty clear it wasn't the betadine, as it had been days since I washed the residue off, and things had just been getting worse.

It was then that I realized the only consistent thing I had been taking since the rash appeared was the antibiotics (cephalexin) so I did a little research about common allergic reactions and my rash definitely fit the bill.

I contacted my surgeon and asked him if I should discontinue the antibiotics (2 days left of treatment) he said yes and agreed it was very likely an allergic reaction.

Of all the setbacks I had prepared myself for, this was not among them. I am grateful that I figured out what was happening so I could get some relief. Today is day 7 and I am back to basics. I am only taking in Water and Powerade and trying to rest. My poor belly needs more time to heal before I put Tylenol in it again.

On a "bright" note I am down 4 lbs from my surgery weight.

Have any of you discovered an allergy like this during recovery, or any other unexpected hurdles?

I'm so sorry this happened to you! But honestly, as a lesson to others, please DO NOT self-treat for this kind of thing. A rash is something that should always be reported to your surgeon the same day you notice it. Drug allergies can be life-threatening and nothing to fool around with.

Edited by 2goldengirl

I had a reaction from the tape they use to hold my PICC line in but I wasn't surprised. I am allergic to latex among other things. However be careful using hydrocortisone around your incision sites. It can actually hinder healing. My doctor said to only use warm Water or betadine if you have it.

It seems to me I remember a discussion awhile back from someone experiencing a consistent rash. But I can't for the life of me remember the outcome. Try doing a search on "rash" and see what comes up. Hope you get some relief!

I had surgery on 10/12/15 I had a rough night in the hospital but when I got home all the pains went away I have stopped my pain medications pls friends my question is I can't stop drinking water!!! Am hungry all the time!! I don't feel like I had surgery like everyone complained I hope my tummy is the same size as others am down 10pounds I know it's sounds funny but I scared I won't lose weight when am off liquids #worried any have experienced the same?! Pls help.

When I had my surgery, I had drug induced urinary retention. I could feel the urge to pee but couldn't go. Had a catheter for a week. It sucked and of all the things I was surely not prepared for that!