Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Psych Evaluation Appointment Scheduled

I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I've never seen this person before and my cousin had failed 5 times. I've done research for 5 years so I know what to expect and everything. Anyone ever fail? I have to have 2 psych evaluations in order to have surgery.

Wow, I only had to have one. Don't worry too much it is pretty straight forward.

Two evals? Your medical plan is psycho, sneaky and paranoid.

I was already in therapy when I was preparing for surgery in 2009. My therapist, who "evaluated" me and wrote the letter for my approval package, told me that the medical plan wants only to see is that an individual has realistic expectations of surgery; understands that surgery is not a magical solution; that it is necessary to change eating habits and exercise, i.e., do the usual things that make for weight loss; and is fully capable of understanding and following doctor's orders before and after surgery.

I can't imagine that the purpose of the eval has changed, at least not by much. Your surgery practice can tell you what it's about/what will "pass." I think you'll hear that, If you're reasonably emotionally and intellectually sound and generally functional, you'll be fine.

Go get 'em, Tiger.

Laurie

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but to the OP, why did your cousin fail their psych evaluation 5 times?

The psych evaluation was definitely the easiest of my requirements. I'm also curious as to why you cousin failed five times, and are you going to be evaluated by the same doctor?

The psych eval was nerve wracking for me, because my psych was a real piece of work and wasn't listening to me and just made me feel so incompetent and did his best to make me feel uncomfortable. He was even a jerk afterwards holding my report hostage til I paid the bill he never sent me and then he hung up on me on the phone and when I called back he screened the call and when I got to the point of saying "I want to arrange the payment ASAP to get this thing rolling" he picked up that phone so fast! He's definitely not a good psych! I'd say if you can, ask around for a good one. My NUT gave me the number of a really nice guy and I can't wait to use him afterwards to tackle any issues that come bubbling up. That being said, even after that level of disaster with the psych I had, I still passed with flying colors. The majority of the evaluation was a survey of questions that repeated over and over in slightly reworded phrases to trip up someone not being honest with their answers. It wasn't hard or anything. Just be honest and do your best. That's all I can suggest and don't worry about why other people fail, because they may have more issues than you know.

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but to the OP, why did your cousin fail their psych evaluation 5 times?

She failed because of her anxiety. Her anxiety isn't under control by their standards so she failed.

I'm going into therapy now to work on my issues with anxiety and food. I'm wondering if a month of therapy will be enough to pass my eval. I'm taking meds for my various issues and I've been on the same meds for quite a while

@ -- There's no answer to your question about a month. That said, you now know something about what's looked for during the evaluation meeting. Approach it as you would any other little, routine thing. It's not a big deal, it's just a discussion. As the date gets closer, don't think of it as a monumental challenge. It isn't.

You want to be seen as understanding that there are risks to surgery; that you understand and are happy to comply with your bariatric practice's instructions before and after surgery; that, should you have questions about anything along the way, you will present them to the practice; that you understand the importance of following instructions; that you're understand that the surgery is an aid to weight loss, not the cause of weight loss; that you are eager to make the dietary and lifestyle (i.e., exercise) changes necessary to succeeding. All in your own words, of course.

You don't want to offer any info that may give the psych cause to question your ability to do all the right things. If you offer, "I have anxiety," it may either open a whole new area of questioning or be taken to mean you're too all over the map to settle down and comply with instructions. If you have a medical plan that will pay for surgery and covers your meds and therapy, it's on record, so don't deny it if asked by the psych. In that case, you want to convey that the treatment has you functioning very well.