Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I'm new to these parts! I've now gone through the information sessions and met with my pulmonologist and will be having my surgical consultation this week.

I'm just polling to see if anyone here is/was in the same boat.

I'm a severe asthmatic, currently fluctuating between 325-330lbs and have not been under 265/270lbs (I'm 5' 9") in probably 8 years. I have been on prednisone for about a year and a half due to breathing issues. I'm also fairly newly (about 6mos) diagnosed diabetic (DM Type II) and have high blood pressure (yay co-morbidities).

My pulmonologist is very much on board with me having the surgery (it makes sense - less weight, less struggle breathing) and mentioned numerous studies touting the benefits of WLS on people in my condition.

I'm just curious to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation, or, if you've suffered from breathing issues, if you've seen any resolution. I've seen mention of concerns for people that are steroid dependent (we are VERY slowly tapering my dosage), but my pulmonologist does not feel this would be an issue in my case. We'll see what my surgeon says, of course.

I'm nervous about this, but I have an incredible support system (work for a major, well-respected hospital, which helps), have the support of my partner and also my mother, who had Roux-en-Y about 14 years ago (and has kept about 70% of the weight off in that time).

Hoping to be a success story!

@@nearperfectmess

Hi there! I have not had the same experience as you in regards to asthma but I wanted to reach out and say congratulations on your decision to get healthy.

I did have some of the other co morbitities that you speak of, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, severe Gerd and stage 3 kidney disease. Every single one of these medical issues have either been cured or are in remission.

Having this surgery definately saved my life. I know that you will be much healthier for taking these steps.

Please feel free to reach out if you have questions!

@@Djmohr

Howdy! Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.

Seeing everyone's struggles and triumphs on here is very helpful and encouraging.

I'm not an asthmatic but I am a respiratory therapist. Did your pulmonologist suggest optimizing your meds before surgery? Are you on any other medications for your asthma besides prednisone, and I assume, ventolin/albuterol/pro air? Good luck.

@jessicazi

Hi! He did actually say that normally surgeons would like a patient OFF of prednisone prior to the surgery, but he normally suggests bumping UP the prednisone prior to surgery for bad asthmatics, to prevent any sort of breathing complication during the surgery. He said the potential for it causing any slow-down with healing is quite minimal, particularly for someone that's been on it for awhile. But that will most certainly be a conversation between him and the surgeon (and anesthesiologist, possibly), I'm sure.

And yeah, I'm on the whole shebang. Ventolin inhaler, Albuterol nebs, Symbicort, Spiriva, Singulair, Prednisone, plus Metformin for the DM II and a ton of Vitamins.

My appt with the surgeon had to be moved a week to this coming Saturday, so I'm nervous/excited/itching to see what the plan will be. :)