Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week one post op essentials?

I will be spending that first postoperative week in a hotel. What things/items do I NEED to have??

That can be rough. All I wanted to do after they release me from the hospital was to sleep in my own bed.

Some of the most important requirements after surgery are Protein, fluids, Vitamins and walking exercise. So you would need to bring along items to meet these requirements. For example you may need a pill crusher and pill splitter because you may find that your individual Vitamins are too large to swallow. You might opt for premixed Protein shakes because you will not have a blender handy in a hotel. Make sure you have good walking shoes. If you are still on narcotic pain medicine after you leave the hospital, you may be a bit wobbly on your feet and may need someone who will walk with you to make sure you don't fall. Putting a pillow between your legs may help you sleep better at night.

For me right after surgery it was a rough but every day got better and better and better.

Oh! Congratulations on your 45 pound weight loss pre-op. It all adds to the end result.

I'm 6 days post op, I needed something to help me keep track of my liquid intake. I started using the medicine cups they give to use in the hospital, but that was a bit much because I needed something more practical. I'll be going back to work and I'm not going to use those. I downloaded the app... Baritastic. This helpful. I also used a shower chair, so make sure you can have good steady balance while you're showering.

You are going to want extra pillows....many of them. You'll need them in the hotel bed to elevate yourself and support the sides of your abdomen. That would be my top priority with the hotel.....securing these extra pillows.

I'm on day 6 from sleeve & umbilical hernia repair and have only experienced pain and discomfort from the hernia. I don't know if this is normal or if I've just been lucky. I still use a crutch every time I stand up. The first 90 seconds after standing is painful and the crutch helps steady me. Once I'm walking, all is well.

Slip on tennis shoes are awesome. New Balance makes a version for men & women. You can easily step in and step out of them. Very supportive during walking, too. Great comfort.....I am very, very glad to have these.

Several days supply of bottled Water. it'll be easy to keep track of your Water intake as well as sanitary. No hotel tap water.

Pre-mixed Protein drinks. You may not feel like having to use a shaker bottle and then have to wash and sanitize it. Tossing several Protein shakes in the hotel fridge will work so much easier. My tastes did not change at all after the surgery. I like the same ones I liked before. I did, however, stick to the thinner shakes. I felt these were easier on my new stomach.

Loose fitting comfortable clothes. I've been chilling with UnderArmour pants and t-shirts. They are loose from the pre-op weight loss and perfect for the slight swelling I've had post op.

Good books and magazines to read. An iPad and some ear buds for your iTunes has been great, too.

No obligations. No appointments (other than your surgeon). No shopping or going out. Your only job is to heal. You don't want the exposure to germs. Now is not the time to pick up a cough or sneeze.

Frequent sips of water and frequent standing and walking around.

Whatever laxative your surgeon recommends if you need it. You don't want to be straining or having undue internal pressure at this time.

Best wishes !!!!!! :D

Thank you!!! This info really helps me pack!!!

I'm one week post op. I have no stomach pain. I do have shoulder pain like a brick is around my neck. Is that normal? Like from sleeping?

I feel like I'm doing well other wise.

Very normal. I had bad upper back/shoulder blades pain for the first 3 days post surgery... Like dannie said, it's likely gas pain.

I just had surgery on Monday. Good luck with yours!

Some of this will be what other people recommended:

Extra pillows. A lazyboy was the only way I could actually sleep for any length of time the first night out of the hospital. Only now am I getting comfortable enough to really move around in bed.

Loose clothes

Heating pad

Gas X (may or may not help. Didn't help me)

Drink options as far as what your post op diet will be. I'd imagine Clear liquids then full liquids. Have choices available. I loved propel, no sugar added apple juice, sugar free popsicles. Now I am full liquids and trying more things.

Chapstick

iPad/laptop

Tylenol (if it isn't given with your prescription medication)

I have not had issues with Constipation. Everything coming out is pure/mostly liquid. My Dr's office says that's normal on liquid diets. I actually used some Kaopectate today, so I would recommend having something for constipation and diarrhea.