Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you trying to prevent loose skin? And did it seem to work?

Ok so when I went into this surgery, I just thought that I would get a Tummy Tuck or mom job at the end (18 months - 2 years out) and all would be well in my world. Having gone through the surgery though, which was fine, had no problems, BUT I would prefer to never have surgery again unless its absolutely neccessary. SO that brings me to my next question: does anyone have any suggestions for preventing loose skin?

I have lotions with AHA, BHA, retinol serum for the body (Dr Denese), shea butter cream for stretch marks (Cerave), a dry skin brush, a clarisonic body brush, a cellulite massager, Spanx (lots of spanx). Will any of this help? Or am I wasting my time or money? I am almost wanting to get the Tria laser for the face and start using it on my abdomen (but its like $600 and while it may lift a "fine line" on my face, I don't know if it will help the FUPA situation. What have you tried? I am only six weeks out but want to be proactive with this and not wait till gravity takes its course. I'm 45 and certain stuff was starting to sag even before the surgery. On the other hand, I also don't want to spend a ton of money on things that don't work.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experience? Please share.

well i'll tell u what i'm trying and let u know if it works. ive started lifting weights now - pre-op to try and build the muscles underneath the fat which is part of why loose skin happens i'm told. so doing it early on is the way to go. i figure it can't hurt. can you work out yet?

My doctor also told me to do weights 2-3 days a week and exercise as much as possible now doing Cardio to build muscle to avoid as much loose weight. He did say that it is a rare case for someone to not have the loose skin even if take these courses, but it will be less. I've been lifting and following my diet and everything-- BUT be careful... My weight is starting to go up but im losing inches, muscle weighs more than fat does.. If I cant maintain my lower weight my surgery (oct. 19) will be pushed... So now im being told to stop lifting weights.

I wouldn't stop lifting if it were me. I'm not as concerned with weight if I'm tight. I think it's a personal preference. I think genetics has a lot to do with it too. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

It is going to be your preference and also talk to your doctor about it too. My program is strict- ANY weightgain or any sort and your surgery gets postponed. Im less than 3 weeks away and was told by my surgeon to stop to avoid the muscle weight. I can still do cardio,just no weights.

Oh that's true for pre op. I'm saying post op I'm going to lift pretty hard I think but who knows right?

Moisturize!!!! From both inside and out! A quality lotion and staying really well hydrated is your best bet! Most of the loose skin we end up with is damaged on the inside--you can't buy a cream for that, and out of our control at this point (genetics, how much you were overweight, age, etc), but we can at least get our skin the best chance with good hydration and nutrition.

I moisturize regularly. Nothing fancy, I use cold pressed virgin coconut oil on my face and rough areas like knee and elbows. Early on I also used them on my incision sites after the scar fade gel flattened them and they had healed. On my body, I use Johnson's baby oil gel. I have really dry skin so this keep them moist. I drink plenty of Water. I work out regularly, including some light weight lifting. I wear compression gym clothes. I am a little under midway towards goal and so far, no sagging on my face or upper body. The only questionable area are my thighs. Even my tummy doesn't look too bad.

I tried most of what others have said above. I have found that ultimately my skin looks generally better when I am getting lots and lots of Water in and when I totally cut out sugar from my diet. However....skin is skin. It will rebound to a certain extent based on genetics, elasticity, age, etc. So some of it is what it is. In the end, I did have a TT and I am appealing insurance for a brachioplasty. Good luck!

Yes I fully intend to do strength training a minimum of three days a week as soon as I'm permitted. I really want to build lean muscle mass and I have to if I'm going to win this race????

If you are going to use acids on your body, which I am doing as well buy products for the body. You will save a lot of money that way.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/Bath-Body-and-Spa_c_55.html

The body peel there and the lotion are great. At walgreens you can pick up http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/studio-35-beauty-alpha-hydroxy-face-cream/ID=prod6111663-product it is cheap, 9.99 a jar and I use that also.

The best you can do is moisturize inside and out and force your skin cells to turn over all the time.

Actually compared to some of the deals I find on beautypedia those prices are kind of steep. I can get a 16 oz bottle of 10% AHA lotion from acne.org for $33 and the MUAC lotion is $25 for only 8 oz. But it looks like it has a lot more ingredients than just AHA and a very low pH. So perhaps I will give it a try.

@@OutsideMatchInside - really looks like amazing stuff now that I have looked a bit closer. I am def going to try some of these products and hope for the best.