Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I found BariatricPal through the suggestion of reaching out to other pre and post op individuals theough my orientation. I thought that was a great idea so here I am. So Hello I am Michelle and I am in just the begining stages. Such as I met the requirements and have done orientation but thats all, Really deciding if this is for me or not (I have self-control issues with carbonated beverages). Though I have tried other weight loss options I have not hit a healthy weight in about 11 years. I truly believe I can do everything they are asking of me but the cola is an issue. In fact I do most of the "hard" stuff already. Although I believe whats hard to follow would be a personal thing. I am very open and honest and would answer any questions or love any advice people had in the early steps and beyond.

Welcome, Michelle, glad you found your way here. I'm about nine weeks out from my surgery, and I was a die hard soda addict since childhood. It's tough, but you definitely can do it.

What you give up in no way compares to what you get in return. Start now trying to wean yourself off and by the time your surgery rolls around you can be off them completely. There is life after soda, I promise! ????

I was also a die hard cola addict I drank 6-8 a say I quit cold turkey 2 months ago and the first week was the hardest but after that I switched to Crystal light and I love it. They even have flavors with caffeine

Hi Michelle. I'm Lisa. My surgery was supposed to be last week but had to be postponed until my ulcers clear. Cola. Pepsi. I could live on Pepsi - especially McDonald's Pepsi. That (and Jax) are the only 2 things I really miss since starting my 2-week liquid diet 3 weeks ago. When my surgery was postponed, I promised myself I wouldn't just go have a Pepsi until my next 2-week liquid diet. I'm Pepsi-free for 3 weeks now and no withdrawals. I would imagine it would suddenly taste too sweet anyway. At least that's what I'm telling myself. With ulcers, I don't dare tempt myself - because my luck, they'd get aggravated and they'll postpone my surgery even longer.

Good luck! You'll find a wealth of information here from both the seasoned veterans and the new members!

Hey Michelle

I was a hard core soda drinker as well, but I just got in my head that it was just another thing that was keeping me from getting healthier. About a month before my surgery I dumped soda and caffeine and I have not looked back. I find now that I do not even miss it. Crystal light half ice tea ad half lemonade is my new got to have drink of choice. You can do it just try to find a healthier alternative that works for you.

Pre-op, I could drink two 2 litre bottles of soda every day by myself. Truley, I do miss the bubbles, but I do not miss the bloat. I miss the flavor, but do not miss the erosion on my teeth. I miss the caffeine, but do not miss the gastric reflux and stomach ulcers. One thing that helped me to get past this trade-off was to think of it in monetary terms, and it can refer to junk edibles (can't call Twinkies and Cheetos "food") as well. My money is going to be my money, or their money.

Once you begin to see you body as a container for the essence of your being instead of a culinary pleasure palace, it will be easier to make adjustment. food is fuel for our bodies. Just like you would not put Pepsi in your car's gas tank, you don't benefit from putting it in your body's gas tank either. The only ones who benefit are the over-paid CEO's of the snack and beverage industries. The CEO of Pepsico, Indra K. Nooyi, made $19, 087, 832 in 2014. I am on disability and made a little over $12,000 last year. No way am I giving my money over to her anymore.

Once I fully realized how my old way of eating and drinking was chipping away at my health and quality of life, the old habits were easier to drop.

Welcome to the forum. Just be aware that opinions and tact will vary in the process of encouraging you along your way. I wish you good luck and good health.

I appreciate all advice and bringing up things such as the additional concerns of teeth and financial factors is a great help. I am alsso one of those 2 to 3 liters a day people. I understand its an addiction at this point and I have given it up befpre. So please everyone thanks for the encouragement and thoughts.