Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Optifast makes me homicidal! :)

I miss food more than I miss my exboyfriend. But at least I can find humourous ways of dealing with it, right?

I'm on day three of Optifast, and everyone in my family is cutting me a wide berth right now. (Case in point? My mother asked me if I would mind going with her to pick up something for my brother to eat for dinner (typical italians..) My response? 'Why would I want to go with you to get food I can't eat for a person I don't like'? Of course, then I realized I was being a crankster and started laughing.)

Seriously though, the sound of a blender is turning my stomach. I hate Optifast. With a passion. When I see the box containing the packages, I shoot it dirty looks. I don't want to be friends. It tastes like chalk. I've never liked chalk.

I'm feeling the urge to call up everyone I've ever had a problem with and start something, because Flying Purple Hotdog Machine help me, I have the chutzpah to do it right now.

Any other commiserators?

Is theatreprincess and alias for Drama Queen??? LOL! Sorry, but most have us have been through preop and we know it's not much fun. Hang in there. I haven't used Optifast but I understand it can be blended with ice to make it more palatable. There are also SF syrups and flavourings you can buy.

Take a deep breath and relax. When is your surgery?

It might be useful to mark off how many drinks you have left until your surgery and change your thinking towards the Optifast as it's getting you one step closer to a healthy body.

10,9,8,7, etc.

Hang in there and don't fight it as it's medically necessary. Besides, this is only the first phase...

oooh, all good suggestions :lol:

and yes, i have been accused of drama-queen behaviour. but it makes things SO much more interesting.

my surgery is july 23, i can't wait!

Hi there, I can't say I like Optifast any better than you --I'm on Day 2 (or 14) ... my surgery is scheduled for July 27th.<br /> <br /> I just keep telling myself it is only 14 days, and I CAN DO THIS!!!<br /> <br /> Remember this is the 1st step towards a new lease on life, and 1 week, or 2 weeks, or 3 weeks of unpleasantness is a drop in the bucket of of life ... I've had many, many more weeks in the past of eating wrong foods, or too much food, or .... So now I'm taking small +ve steps forward and I CAN DO THIS!!<br /> <br /> Theory is if I tell myself often enough I might even believe myself.<br /> <br /> Our surgery dates are 4 days apart, so we can keep in touch with each other and see how we are doing ...<br /> <br /> My surgery is at Humber Hospital (400 and Finch) in Toronto with Dr. Klein -- How about you??<br /> <br /> MaryPat -- now at the excited but getting a little scared stage

I totally understand the getting scared part.

I think it was signing the informed consent form that did it for me... It makes all the worst-case scenarios play over and over in my head :lol:

I'm doing mine at the Surgical Weight Loss Clinic in Missississauga with Dr. Cobourn... I'm getting excited about it. I've had a fun time trying to explain to people why I haven't been around/going on pub crawls with them. I've just been saying that I'm having surgery to correct something with my stomach; they don't need to know what I'm doing.

The Optifast really isn't that bad, I was being a whinybutt. I made the mistake of assuming I would prefer vanilla flavour, since i ABHOR chocolate (all my friends say i'm beyond strange), but I actually prefer it, with a couple of frozen strawberries thrown in. ALSO, I've decided that it tastes like cake batter. Especially the vanilla.< /p>

Doesn't it make you happy to think about where you're gonig to be next summer? I was out today and bought a goal outfit... A really cute bcbg sweat outfit that I found at Winners, can't WAIT until I can fit into it.

What are you looking forward to the most?

You will probably laugh at this, but I think what I am looking forward to most is being able to walk up the stairs (one stair one foot) Right now I have arthritis soooo bad I go one step at a time (one stair 2 feet) then the next step -- slow and sure .... Way back when I remember "bounding" or "skipping" up the stairs -- that would be so nice :lol:

Your diet must be less strict than mine -- I was told not to add anything to my Optifast, and only Water (or Chrystal lite in water) should be consumed with it - i.e. no additional foods. .../mp

It was exactly *allowed*... but I'm only managing to choke down 1, maybe 1 and 1/2 a day, so the nurse told me that if I wanted to put in a handful of strawberries, they would look the other way.

I think the Optifast is hard for me because although my diet was rich and fatty, I didn't really eat much processed food. So the flavour is incredibly offputting. It's true, we spend so long putting bad food in our mouths that a few weeks of Optifast should be easy... It's just the beginning of our new commitment to healthier eating. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to change my eating habits when I go back to school in September. I'm in conservatory training for the theatre and the days are hellish and eighteen million kinds of grueling. Practical classes from 8 am to 2 pm (opera, yoga, voice, Shakespeare, Alexander Technique, acting for the camera and intensive, which is one on one with scary director types) and then rehearsals for whatever show we're putting on from 3 until 9. So in the interest of my sanity, I'm probably going to end up sticking to Protein shakes and precut veggies for Breakfast and lunch, and something light for dinner. No more fast food. It's toxic!

I can't wait to be able to run again. When I was in highschool, I loved going for runs. Now, just the thought of running tires me out and gives me shinsplints.

How are you feeling about disclosure? Who in your circle knows and how are you explaining it to those who don't?

How are you feeling about disclosure? Who in your circle knows and how are you explaining it to those who don't?

Good question, I wonder that myself. Right now I am not telling anyone (other than my hubby and everyone on Lapbandtalk :o), even my Mom won't know. Maybe after the actual surgery I will tell more people.

My issue with it is the way overweight people are treated in our society.

It's an addiction, much like anything else. And yet, we are seen as worth less, unable to control ourselves, piggish and slovenly. People who have Anorexia or Bulemia are treated with kindness, with love and care- there are numerous rehab clinics dedicated to their recovery. And for us? 'Oh, just stop complaining and get on the treadmill'.

I really don't think people understand. And I don't think they're willing to.

I completely understand your issue with the Optifast... I could barely gag it down (even with crystal lite) before I bought flavour extracts (yes, that is allowed)... and even after that I was not thrilled! I found blending it with ice did NOT make it taste any better, in fact it was a lot worse because you had to deal with the froth on the top, and that was completely disgusting. I did find it better with lots of ice to make it very cold. You can find solice in the fact that after a week or so you will probably get used to it. I had to drink it for 3 weeks and it was not so bad after I found the right amount of flavour extract (the Bulk Barn has a variety)!! Experiment, you will find something that makes it bearable! Good luck!!

LOL, the thought of Optifast scattered my brain... I forgot about the disclosure question! At first I was quite reserved in who I told about my having the LapBand. I quickly realized, after I had begun to tell a few people, that the vast majority of people were supportive and were quite interested in the band and my journey. We should be PROUD of our decision to improve our health! I have the attitude that if someone does not like the route I have taken to improve my health and life then "oh well, their problem, not mine". We have absolutely NO reason to be ashamed of being banded!! Don't worry about what others MIGHT think. I found that the people that I thought were going to object the most were actually very supportive. I decided to begin telling people because I did not like lying to people as to why I was drinking "that pink stuff" (the Optifast with flavouring) and how I was losing weight. I think of the hundreds (I work in a hospital in a very busy unit) of people I have told I think maybe 5 have only said "oh" and that is the worst response I have heard. I believe that with all the education out there most people are trying to understand that this is an addiction and needs to be treated accordingly. When I tell people that before the band I had never felt full, they were very surprised and seemed to gain an understanding of why I was obese to begin with (not to mention an obvious addiction).

I feel great when I can educate others about the LapBand. I believe that ignorance can only be changed if we educate, and educate I do!! Try not to worry about what others think and just be proud of yourself!!

I spoke with the dietitian and she suggested that if I liked coffee, I could either make the Optifast with cold coffee or add instant coffee crystals into my drink. I tried it and it turned the plastic chocolate into an almost palitible sort-of latte ....

She also told me that I could add Chrystal light into the shakes -- so I've tried Chrystal Light strawberry banana which was almost yummy, and Nestea's version of "light" flavouring called Summer Peach -- that was good too

So, now I'm 6 days done, and only 8 to go and with the help of strong coffee and "light" flavour crystals I'm sure I can make it through.

When it comes to having to drink Protein shakes, at least I get my choice of flavour - with Optifast I was given 1/2 vanilla, 1/2 chocolate and could not change the mix to all vanilla ... the Protein powder I got is French Vanilla so will go well with any of the fruit flavoured Chrystal Light things.

As for disclosure -- everyone who is important to me know what is happening - my husband (he is my biggest supporter), my Mom, 3 sisters and all their kids, all my girlfriends, the folks that I stitch with in Michigan ('cause I'm going to be going to a class 8 weeks after surgery -- my incentive to get well fast :whoo:). Everyone I've talked with have been very supportive, and some were very curious about the procedure since they did not know anything about lap banding (and were also "thin-challenged") I guess I have been very lucky that my family doctor has been very supportive -- she has been with me though a variety of diets, some she did not particularly like, some Doctor monitored, and the referral to the bariatric surgeon was her suggestion - she knew I had tried everything else.

I, too, believe that we need to educate everyone about what being obese is really like -- When I was working full time and they sent around the "visible minority" survey-- I always wrote Obese beside the Other category. I firmly believe that my weight was on of the reasons it took me so long to get my 1st promotion ... after that the "powers that be" never knew who was being discussed personally, so results were used as a gauge (much fairer!)

So get out there and Toot Your Horn -- I'm not getting a new car this year, I'm getting a new lease on LIFE!!!! and I am very proud of it!!!:clap2:

MaryPat

Try a Optifast Mocha Frappe...mmmm...LOL!

I use 2 teaspoons of instant coffee in my choclate optifat and add the 300 ml of Water and a cup full of ice and blend away. It is quite filling and I actually like it. It tastes like a frappe you would normally pay $6 bucks for.

I also tried a cup of cold brewed coffee in the vanilla and it was okay but I like the choc. better.

This is something we have decided to do ourselves. It is going to help us in the long run with the struggle with food. I am looking forward to the next three weeks on the opti and then off to the operating room it is!

Take Care