Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

35 years overweight questions

I am a lifer. I have been overweight since I was 6 and I am now 40. Surgery is scheduled for October 27 (YEAH!).

Can anyone with a similar back story let me know how you have faired with the surgery and skin issues? I know skin is supposed to bounce back but mine has never been where it should be. :)

Thanks!

I was obese since toddlerhood and was 48 at the time of my surgery. I've done great since surgery. I do have some saggy skin on my thighs, butt, abdomen, and upper arms, but to me saggy skin looks a lot better than the same amount of skin stuffed with rolls of fat. That wasn't so cute either. Overall I am much healthier, happier, and more attractive (except I guess to serious BBW fanciers). And the skin really isn't that bad anyway.

I'm 48 and +20 pounds down after a few weeks. Another lifer I've tried everything, surgery Sept 10th this year.

I had bad pain for a few days, up and running soon after and relatively ok (other than a sneeze yesterday - ouch). So far skin looks good but I'll see if I can't let you know how things are in a month or two.

Good luck!

In my research I have found that the type of "lifer" you are combined with age really matters.... Meaning more on the athletic side versus traditional obese. I have been big all my life.... But more on the athletic side. After college i began to gain more and more weight... I was 260 in college and over the course of 15 years post graduate i got up to 412 pounds... I lost a little, then gained it back and repeated that cycle for a while before opting to get sleeve. That being said, I'm 38 and have virtually no sagging skin, BUT i workout and excersise like crazy. I lift weights and do everything in my power to avoid it... I'm down about 112lbs (299) and couldn't be happier. The skin was a big concern of mine. To each is own... Some people would rather have sagging skin instead of being big... Mentally i don't think i could have handled that.... And I'm just being honest... I was definitely considered obese but i was confident with it. My suggestion is GO HARD! Hit the gym, lift weight in order to build muscle while loosing fat. See if you can line up surgery to take care of the excess skin if it becomes to much for you to handle... Your doctor can assist you with the proper verbage that might allow for insurance to pay for it.

Good luck

Edited by Mrbig77

I'd been overweight since childhood too. I had surgery at 47 and my BMI was about 36 going in (after a small preop loss). I'm 5'6". I lost about 93 pounds in the first 7 months and settled in around 145 as a maintenance goal. I maintain pretty well between 143 and 147 most days. I wear a size 4 or 6 jeans and about an 8 dress, (always been bigger on top). I felt really saggy the first year. Probably partially because I wasn't used to the new me and probably partially because it took my skin some time to recover, but mostly recover, it did. Don't get me wrong... I have bat wings, but so do many women my age who haven't lost upwards of 90 pounds. I'm self conscious enough about my legs that I don't wear shorts much. They look "elephanty" to me now. I have wrinkles on my tummy. But no panus, etc. and my clothes fit well. I look great in a pair of skinny jeans. I'm very lucky to have a body type where I carried it "all over" being a little larger on top. When I lost it, it came off proportionally.

Surgery was better than textbook. 24 hours in the hospital, a week and 1/2 off work, then I went back to my desk job. Never required narcotic pain meds, just chewed Tylenol Jr for the first week. Advanced my diet as directed, with a few painful lessons along the way as I learned to slow down and eat even smaller portions than I thought. Started an exercise program I'm still religious about today. It's been two years TODAY for me and I'm still a size 4\6 with none of weight related the health problems I had before. TOTALLY worth it for this chick!