Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of the subjects that seems to pop up on this board is losing hair after gastric bypass surgery. I never experienced Hair loss after my RNY surgery. I am 28 months post-op. I attribute this to a supplement that I take called Juvenon. This supplement contains 1000 mg of amino acid Acetyl L-Carnitine and 400 mg of Alpha Lipoid Acid. It also contains 300 mg of Biotin. I have been taking this supplement for over 10 years primarily because it helps my lung function (around a 200 point improvement in my peak flow). I have noticed that it also has the property of halting my hair loss due to aging and and also stopped my hair from turning white. That is why I recommended this product. It helps to restore the mitochondria in my cells, allowing my cells to be better manage oxygen. This supplement is sold over the internet as an anti-aging supplement.

While rummaging through reams of old research today, I came across an interesting article. Red meat contains high levels of the amino acid L-carnitine. Apparently there was a study published in the mayo Clinic Proceedings that determine supplemental L-carnitine provides significant cardioprotective properties to patients that had previously had heart attacks. When compared to patients taking a placebo, those taking L-carnitine had a 27% reduction in all cause mortality, including a 65% reduction of ventricular arrhythmias (the most serious kind) and a 40% reduction in angina. All results were statistically significant.

So eating red meat is good for your heart. It contains both Protein and high levels of the amino acid L-carnitine.

http://acsh.org/2013/04/amino-acid-found-in-red-meat-may-benefit-heart-attack-patients/

interesting, thank you for the information. I've been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin daily in the hopes that I won't lose a lot of hair. Perhaps when my bottle runs out I will try this supplement, as this is not the first time I've seen people give it glowing recommendations. As for red meat, I'm only three weeks post op and still on pureed foods, and I'm kind of scared that when I try it in the future, I will be one of those people who can no longer tolerate it. :( We'll see. Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestion!! I was starting to get nervous- 4 of my friends had RNY and lost very little hair, so when I saw the forum the other day w/ those saying the actually are wearing a wig I was starting to flip!! lol

I will definitely be purchasing this product!!

:)

Thanks for the suggestion!! I was starting to get nervous- 4 of my friends had RNY and lost very little hair, so when I saw the forum the other day w/ those saying the actually are wearing a wig I was starting to flip!! lol

I will definitely be purchasing this product!!

:)

fortunately, I don't think it's very common to lose so much that you need a wig (it happens for some, but again, from what I can tell, it's not all that common). It sounds like most people lose enough that *they* notice, but other people don't really notice.

I'm loosing weight and tons of hair, I'm at the point of shaving it off. I guess I should be happy with all the weight off but I'm super sad as I look not pretty at all :( Any real tricks, will it grow back?

Lol...I burned my hair using color. It was breaking off at the scalp. I bought a couple of wigs buzzed it all off . It's all back now but I still wear the wigs. Mine are light as a feather and look better than my real hair any day. I don't wear them all the time but sometimes it's nice to just pop it on and go...my point is....don't worry if it falls out, it will come back and wigs aren't all that bad

I had to become a vegetarian after surgery. Not because I love animals and I think killing them is wrong. My pouch simply will not tolerate it. Feels like a brick going down my neck then THUD it sits there. My stomach feels like it is between my boobs. I literally have had to take my bra off at dinner because any pressure pushing on it made it a million times worse.

I do assure you my hair grew back. Not sure the gold standard in guys but I would rather be bald than getting pulled out of my house via crane lol

Lol...I agree Kathy. And that's where my stomach feels like it is too. I thought it was just me.

Lol...I agree Kathy. And that's where my stomach feels like it is too. I thought it was just me.

Obviously a man decided it would be a good place to put it lol

Yep...I'm sure.

@@Newday2015 I'm just curious how far out you are. Did you always get your Protein in? If so, how much? I'm very much hoping mine does not fall out..... My docs office says it's all about the protein. I wonder if Biotin really does help or not, since protein builds hair.