Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No confidentiality about posts on Bariatric Pal! Shows up on Google search

VDB

Actually, I like the idea that someone can google a topic and find a post about it. Maybe something I have experienced can help someone else.

Honestly, I can't imagine that bariatric surgery is in the top ten things that crazies search under, however, I could be wrong!

That being said, I am not worried as I am sure I am not the only mother with a son named Samuel in this entire country. :)

I'm guessing that the confusion/upset over this is a generational thing. People that did not grow up with the internet don't understand that the internet in itself is basically a big free for all with zero privacy. This is a message board. The whole point of it is to have discourse with varying people, and you're relying on those people to be honest about themselves and trusting that they aren't distributing your photos and information around the world. I have seen people literally track down people offline based on the information that was provided on message boards and harass them at their workplace. This is why I do not post photos and try not to post anything more than the vaguest personal information, etc. You never know if the person you're talking with or arguing with online is a psycho.

Bottom line: The internet isn't a therapist's office; there is zero expectation of privacy or confidentiality.

Edited by losing_the_band

I'm guessing that the confusion/upset over this is a generational thing. People that did not grow up with the internet don't understand that the internet in itself is basically a big free for all with zero privacy. This is a message board. The whole point of it is to have discourse with varying people, and you're relying on those people to be honest about themselves and trusting that they aren't distributing your photos and information around the world. I have seen people literally track down people offline based on the information that was provided on message boards and harass them at their workplace. This is why I do not post photos and try not to post anything more than the vaguest personal information, etc. You never know if the person you're talking with or arguing with online is a psycho.

Bottom line: The internet isn't a therapist's office; there is zero expectation of privacy or confidentiality.

I agree... growing up in the technology age, I've always known that nothing online was private. I have also always known that everything I put out there, typed or spoken, will be available forever, even if I delete it. Once it's digital, it exists forever.

Try googling your own name. You would be surprised at what might come up.

People are always asking me why there are no before and after pictures of me. There are people who know my real first name on here, but I am really careful. I am surprised too, that everyone does not know that anything you say on the internet anywhere, can show up through a search engine.