Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three weeks until surgery

Hi everyone,

I'm new, and this is my first post. My surgery is in three weeks, and I'm concerned about a few things.

I'm having a DS, and I've been told that if I don't lose enough fat from my liver before surgery, I may end up with a sleeve instead. Is this familiar to any of you? Any idea how much weight I should try to lose in the next three weeks? I know that a week from now I go on a special pre-op diet, but is this going to be enough?

The one person I've talked to that's had bariatric surgery (RNY) said she throws up a lot; a few times a week regularly. Is this normal, or is that more an issue of everyone having a different experience?

I'm starting to get really nervous, and I feel like I'm panicking a little about things I'll never be able to eat again. The nurse said no coffee for a year. I know that I'm making a huge lifestyle change, but I can't help getting a little overwhelmed when I think about everything I'll have to remember. Did any of you feel this way? Am I being ridiculous?

Not many people know I'm having this surgery outside my immediate family, and I don't really have anyone I can talk to about this that understands at all. Are these stupid questions?

They're not stupid questions! I don't believe there is such thing. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you. I haven't had my surgery yet either. I hope you get the answers you need!

CC,

They are not stupid questions. I had the DS on 6/11 (down 92lbs, started at 427).

I was meant to be on the pro-op liquid diet for 6 weeks, but surgeon moved up surgery bt 10 days. I lost around 27 lbs before surgery.

My doctor was never concerned about not being able to do the surgery, but due to the size of my liver did hold off on removing my gall bladder. I have that surgery to look forward to in December.

Right after surgery a lot of people report nausea, but they should give you medication to prevent that, along with a strong anti-aging medication. But the nausea phase should not last long. I was lucky and did not have to take any of the medication. The only time I have ever got close to throwing up was when I ate too much, too fast.

Your doctor should provide you with good written documentation on what and when you can eat things post surgery, but there are also a lot of good books out there. I even thought Weight Loss Surgery For Dummies was very helpful.

Each doctor seems to have a different approach. My post op was 2 weeks liquid diet, two weeks mush (pureed),two weeks soft,regular diet. During that period I was off coffee, I was told to limit caffeine going forward as well. But with Doctor and weight loss dietician approval I do have one cup of regular coffee a day.

I had the same feelings of being overwhelmed. But it has been much easier than I expected, the cravings are still there but the weight loss makes them bearable.

Don't be surprised if you put on weight in the hospital, I think I regained 14 lbs.

Just focus on drinking your liquids and walking as often as possible, to help get rid of the gas built up in your system.

I am extremely glad I chose to have the DS. I hope everything goes smoothly with you surgery and recovery.

Like you, i kept my surgery secret from most family and friends, it makes it tougher. But you are not alone, the people on this site are great and full of valued information.

Good Luck!

Perhaps you could start the liver shrink diet (LSD) early which would help you lose weight as well as shrink the liver to make the surgery easier. Some Drs want you to lose 10% of you excess weight and others just want you to lose something. Bit close now to even think about that 10% #. Just do your best but don't starve as you want to go into surgery in the best shape you can. If you look at other posts you will see there are many different LSD's. I did Protein shakes and one small meal at night till the last two or three days and from then on it was all liquid. Come here often and post and read. There is so much help here to make it easier to learn all about your new lifestyle, about each week both before and after surgery along with the weeks and months afterwards. Plus there is lots of support for maintenance. Congratulations on your choice to live a healthier life and to join us here.

Hmm...I never heard of the 1 year coffee thing, but if that's what your surgeons want then I'd abide by it.

As for nerves, the week before my DS I locked myself out of my apt. twice. That's how nuts I was.

Regarding the liver shrinkage, my surgeons only require 2 days of liquids prior to surgery. They feel that is enough to shrink the liver. I ate up until then with no issues. Had the full DS in about 4.5 hours. If, for some reason, Dr. Coates only did the sleeve, make sure you can come back in 6 mos. and have the switch done.

Concerning barfing: I was a barfer. I threw up a couple of times a week for about a year. But I was the exception. I don't know any other DSer who did so. Nausea meds. should help you. I never took any. The RNY is very different than the DS. Our issues are generally different.

As for telling anyone about the DS, no one other than my immediate family and physicians know. I go to a support group 3-4x/year and use the 'Net to help gain and give support. So feel free to post any questions or issues.

Edited by Postop

My lap band to DS revision is scheduled for October 3rd, so this thread is totally relevant to me too :) As far as diet goes, I've been told that 12 days out to do two Protein shakes a day and have a low carb high Protein dinner. Piece of cake - I've been following that diet since June and have dropped just under 30lbs. The last 5 days I'm to have nothing but liquids and that is going to be a total pain! I'll get through it but I can guarantee you I'm not going to be a happy camper. LOL It will be totally worth it though...

My sister in law had a RNY years ago and it really affected her badly so now the family is freaking out saying I'll puke all the time (yeah, like I don't already with this lap band?? lol) and I will be so weak I'll be unable to get out of bed after a few months. I keep telling them that (1) she had some other medical issues that I don't have and (2) DS is a totally different surgery. Still, they're very worried...

I'm a bit nervous but I know I can handle the Vitamin regimen and the DS diet is definitely something I can handle because it's what I like to eat anyway, so I guess the real issue is hoping I get over the nausea quickly and lose weight like I should. I am really hoping this does it for me this time because the lap band thing was a total failure - I lost 40lbs and stopped, plus vomiting got to be a thing... and I never found the "sweet spot" for fills.

At least I know I have support... that's going to be a huge advantage going forward :)

I'm starting to get really nervous, and I feel like I'm panicking a little about things I'll never be able to eat again. The nurse said no coffee for a year. I know that I'm making a huge lifestyle change, but I can't help getting a little overwhelmed when I think about everything I'll have to remember. Did any of you feel this way? Am I being ridiculous?

Not many people know I'm having this surgery outside my immediate family, and I don't really have anyone I can talk to about this that understands at all. Are these stupid questions?

If you're being ridiculous then I'm being ridiculous. ;) My surgery is less than two weeks away and I'm nervous too! I actually posted about two weeks ago that I was so afraid I'd forget something important. Best advice I got was that it's kind of like having a baby. It's okay not to know every single thing ahead of time because you'll learn as you go.

Right now, I'm concentrating on the next two months, getting everything ready before surgery that I can and having/knowing everything I need to get through the recovery period, liquid phases and onto soft foods after I get home. Once I get through those I'll focus on the next few chunks of time. Everything else is too far out into the future. This really helps me focus on what I need to focus on right now. This weekend I did a deep clean of my house so I'll be comfortable while I'm home. I cleaned out my food pantry and fridge and got my Proteins, supplements, meds, etc. organized and easily accessible. This kind of "nesting" gives me something productive to do and helps me feel ready.

Also, your questions are not stupid. We're here to help!

Edited by letitbeatles9

Thank you all so much for your wonderful responses. I'm glad to know that there are others who've been where I am, that are not just willing, but excited to share their experiences and offer advice. I am really happy I chose to join this forum.

I'll probably ask endless questions in the next few weeks. I am so excited for the near future, when I'll be able to help answer questions for the people who feel like I do right now.

Ok, so I had surgery on Thursday, and I'm feeling pretty good. I can't wait to have a bite of real food, even if it's just applesauce!

Any advice on how to make the best of the liquid and pureed diets?

Everything went into the blender. tuna, chicken, etc. The only thing that didn't was scrambled eggs.