Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are there any symptoms with pouch dilation?

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows if there are any signs or symptoms of pouch dilation. I have 3.6 cc in my 4 cc band and still feel as if I can eat more than I should. The dr. doesn't seem concerned because I have no reflux or heartburn (which is the one question he asks me constantly), but he doesn't do his fills under flouro and has never ordered one. Are there any signs or symptoms of pouch dilation? If so could you tell me what they are. I don't want to be the only person in the world that has to have their band filled completely...I feel strange. It seems like I already have a lot in there over the course of a year. I have lost weight well...100 lb. in the year but it has really slowed to 4 lb. a mo. now.

If you have any answers that could help me I would appreciate it. I don't know why the dr. hasen't ordered a barium swallow, but he simply doesn't seem concerned. Am I being paranoid? I've had no problems so far...knock on wood.

Thanks for your help:help:

Sudden loss of restriction. Like, you had it, then *boop* you didn't. Pouch dialation doesn't always come with reflux. It's a "prelude to a slip" so if you think you have one, best to have it looked at under floro.

If you've NEVER felt restriction...well, then that's not the issue here.

BTW, you wouldn't be "the only person in the world that has to have their band filled completely". :)

I had it and I had a lot of pain in the mid section. I was very aware of my band, if felt like I had a pulled muscle in there, even when I hadn't eaten in several hours. I also had back pain, but that could also be related to my having a new baby at the same time and holding her was messing with new muscles that hadn't been messed with.

I am worried and I dont know if I slip my band or not, my last filled was in May the doctor filled me with 3.5 cc in a 9.5 band (first fill) but after a couple weeks I started to feel hungry all the time! even though I try to control myself and dont eat as much as I can! Im not losing any weight and Im so afraid to have a slip because sometime my 4 yo son and I play a little rough and one night (only happen once) I feel a terrible pain in my upper stomach that wake me up!

Honestly I can not eat as much as I ate before the band but I am eating often now and so so afraid to gain the weight back.

:help::help::help::help::help:

Banded 3/31/07 (Costa Rica)

318 / 285 / 160 (my dream!)

Chances are very unlikely that you've slipped although I know what it feels like to worry about that. I just had my band replaced because of swelling.

I think you need to call your doctor. You might need another fill. I don't think playing rough with your child would be enough to slip.

Vanessa,

I've just been through the stomach flu and now I am unable to get even liquids down due to the swelling in my stomach. Can you tell me how long you waited for the swelling to go down before you had the band replaced?

Thanks, Lisa

I am worried and I dont know if I slip my band or not, my last filled was in May the doctor filled me with 3.5 cc in a 9.5 band (first fill) but after a couple weeks I started to feel hungry all the time! even though I try to control myself and dont eat as much as I can! Im not losing any weight and Im so afraid to have a slip because sometime my 4 yo son and I play a little rough and one night (only happen once) I feel a terrible pain in my upper stomach that wake me up!

Honestly I can not eat as much as I ate before the band but I am eating often now and so so afraid to gain the weight back.

:help::help::help::help::help:

Banded 3/31/07 (Costa Rica)

318 / 285 / 160 (my dream!)

It's not unusual at all to need a second fill quite soon after your first. Doesn't mean you've slipped at all. :)

I had my daughter on March 8th. I literally had swelling March 9th and it lasted for weeks living on Protein shakes.. I had gotten to a point where I thought it was liveable, then I flew to Phoenix and it quickly went downhill from there.

You can check my other posts about it. I had reflux, vomiting in my sleep, threw up 10-15 times a day. I was only consuming liquids. I finally emailed my doc and he told me that I would have surgery when I got home. That was 10 days ago.

What I would do if I were you is drink a lot of Protein Shakes. Protein reduces swelling in your body. I would go on liquids only for several days, then mushies. Kind of like when you first got your band. If you don't see an improvement with in a week or 2 I would call your doc. I'd call your doc anyway just to see what they say.

I asked about pouch dilation because I can eat most anything with no problems. I don't PB and I can eat quite a bit. I'm worried about having stretched my pouch and his response is "you would know it"....you would have severe reflux or other symptoms, yet someone told me you don't always have reflux..I'm really confused now. I have 3.6 cc in my 4 cc band and I feel nothing. I used to have restriction, but haven't felt it in a very long time, at least not much. He isn't worried about slippage and he isn't worried about pouch dilation or erosion..he claims they all come with symptoms..even erosion..he says it will affect the port and you will eventually get an infection. OK, I seriously am not thinking erosion, but I'm almost convinced my pouch is stretched...I don't know that I overeat I just know I have no problems eating and I can eat more than 1 1/2 cups.

My question is how many of you think that "pouch dilation" would definitely have symptoms as he says such as reflux. He says it has to because you are packing food into the esophagus and it is going to react.

Help me out here guys. Do I need to insist he do a barium swallow or what? He is totally unconcerned. He considers me lucky....even though the weight loss has slowed down at a yr. out....

HELP please....would you say you would have symptoms with pouch dilation or not?:help::help::help:

I didn't have reflux with my dialation, tho it was pretty mild dialation.

Since your Dr. isn't concerned, give it a couple more weeks. Mind your portions, and see if it doesn't improve.

The fact that you don't have reflux is, actually, a good sign.

Sometimes the band feels loose for no reason. Sometimes the band feels tight for no reason. Just got to go with it......

It seems like insisting on a barium swallow is what you really want to/need to do. It's your right.

I had esophagus dilation. I didn't know it until my doctor looked at my band using flouro. I had no signs or symptoms. If I were you *I* would ask my doctor to check using flouro. My doctor said I was eating to much and it was backing up into my esophagus. I went on liquids for a few days and everything went back to normal. Good luck!

I am going to get my first fill in Mexico (Dr. Ortiz) He says he wants all of his patients to get their first fill with him. Reading from "yall" (I am from Ga can you tell) It sounds like its a crap shoot and the odds are highly against you that your first fill is going to go well, I am so nervous about this, I would like to hear from those of you who get your fills from Dr Ortiz,He makes it sound like he has a better degree of sucses than other Drs. :)

I am going to get my first fill in Mexico (Dr. Ortiz) He says he wants all of his patients to get their first fill with him. Reading from "yall" (I am from Ga can you tell) It sounds like its a crap shoot and the odds are highly against you that your first fill is going to go well, I am so nervous about this, I would like to hear from those of you who get your fills from Dr Ortiz,He makes it sound like he has a better degree of sucses than other Drs. :D

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've only had one fill, but from my experience, there isn't much to it. The function of it seemed exactly like a shot to me. (Though a bit rougher! LOL) It didn't hurt at all, just pressure from the needle going into the port. The only thing that didn't go well with my fill is that I still have no restriction, but that is very common.

I wouldn't worry if I were you...you'll do great.

I'm having very similar problems. I've had the band going on 3 months, have had 3 fills and still can eat > 1 1/2 cups and then some. I haven't lost ANY wt. I don't have pain, reflux or anything unusual. I have some restriction in the AM and then it seems to go away. I supposedly have 4.33 cc in a 5cc band. I actually scheduled myself for a barium swollow and fluro next week. I just hope I get some answers. Where do I go from here? How much more will this be? Will band EVER do anything to help me. It's sooooo frustrating.