Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have so many people telling me not to do this. And if I couldn't loose wait on my own what and why is this gonna be any different. They all feel like I'm gonna regret my decision after.... Does anyone regret there surgery? Or did you all not listen to the people who were negative.

I am still pre-op but I do recognise that this process is possibly more about mental preparation than physical, if you haven't been able to so far take the time to speak to someone impartial a counsellor or your surgeon they are best placed to advise you regarding your fears, family and friends do not always provide the best advice.

I hope that your path becomes clearer and whatever you decide those around you support your decision.

Quite simply, the best thing I've ever done...

Not one regretful thought...

Not during the difficult four week liquid diet prep...

Not during the various stages of post-surgery diet...

Not during the last six months where I've not once felt hungry...

No regrets...

None...

This is about you and what you need to do to get healthy. Obviously each of us wouldn't be here if we had been successful with our previous dietary/lifestyle changes. I thought about this surgery for a year before I went to see my surgeon, dove head first into my required 6 month diet supervised program. I am now one week post op and am very happy. Talk to as many people as you can who have had this surgery, join a support group. You will find that most people are successful and love their sleeved life.

You can do this!!

I am pre-op as well. I haven't told anybody yet about having surgery. I do not want yhem to influence me. This is a very personal choice. I will tell my immediate family when I find out my surgery date, but until then, my husband is my support along with all of you fine people on here. Don't let anyone deter you from your goals, this is to help you get healthy.

I must have flip flopped about 50 times! My insurance company required 6 months preparation, which in retrospect was a good thing. I actually lost 30 lbs during the 6 month wait, which really turned into a 9 month wait with submittals/approvals/scheduling. I kept telling myself, maybe I can do this on my own after all. I finally realized the only reason that I lost the 30 lbs is that I believed in the surgery and that if I didn't get it, I would be right back where I started. The first 2 weeks post-op are no fun. 4 months after surgery now, I am down 70 lbs and feel great. The sleeve works as advertised for me, stops me from eating too much.

It is a very personal decision that you can't rely on other people to make for you. The vast majority of us on this board have had very positive experiences

only you can decide if this is right for you. but i know even on my bad days where im doubting everything about this process i know this is the best thing i can do for my health. my husband is behind me 1000% and with him by my side im unstoppable

I've had a few negative Nellies on my journey, too - even my gastroenterologist who was the one who suggested it in the first place!! Once I started losing with the guidance of the weight loss center, he told me to reconsider!! But, I'm 42. I've lost and gained often during my life. Time for a more permanent change. I feel very confident in my decision and I just nod and say thanks for your thoughts when people try to talk me out of it.

People judge. People think it's the easy way out (holy cow, it's not easy!). People think you will fail. Sadly, some do not do well. But. We are here for us. I will be healthier. I will succeed.

My weight loss center offers psychological counseling as needed and a support group. Do you have access to anything like that?,

Best wishes!

Edited by DaisyAmy

7 months post op and yes it takes work but I LOVE it and no regrets. I had the 6 month required wait but w that and post op I'm down 109lbs. There's no way I would have had that success without this tool. Good Luck!

I had my gastric sleeve surgery on the 31st of August and so far I have not regreted it for one moment. My husband has been with me through out the whole thing from the seminars to meeting with the surgeon and doing the Clear liquids before and after. The liquid diet I think is the hardest because my husband has to eat regular food and I can't. My problem right now is trying to get enough Water down so I won't dehydrate and before surgery I was a Water drinker and lots of it.

Before I had the surgery I talked to alot of people that has had the same surgery and they all told me, they do not regret it for one moment. So that and research made my mind up to go ahead. I have to loose the weight so I can have surgery on both hips that are bone on bone plus I also have two disks in my lower back that is pinching a nerve going down my left leg and causing so much pain. Both surgeons told me that they would not do surgery until I lost the weight, so here I am...

Every single person I have spoke to has not regretted it. I think if they are being negative, then you should ignore them. You don't need negative people in your life.

Make this decision based on what YOU want, not what others want.

But it takes a lot of dedication, promise, & discipline. You have to want it & want to follow the rules.

The minute I made the decision to have the surgery, I started changing my habits. My surgery is on Sept 16 & it cannot get here fast enough.

This is why I kept my surgery to myself. I only told 3 people, they support me and encourage me every step of the way. My date is set for the 17th. Stay encouraged and if this is something you want, then go for it!

Went through that in 2010 when I decided to do this. I was talked out of it by people's opinions. The result = I'm here 5 years later many pounds heavier getting it done (surgery is 9/14). I have no doubt this is the right decision for me.

Stop listening to other people.

No regrets. NONE. Didn't tell many until 2 weeks before surgery. Didn't ask for anyone's permission so they knew when I told them it was a done deal. They only option they had was either support me or get out of the way. I was fortunate to have had a pleasant surgical experience. This has been not only the best decision I ever made, but also a fairly easy lifestyle to adapt to.

I don't regret my decision for one second. Best thing I have ever done for myself. I completely ignored any negative comments prior to my surgery. Most of those were coming from people who have never been heavy in their lives and have no concept of what we go through on a daily basis. Make this decision for yourself and for no one else.