Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out pre-op

I'm freaking out hard. My surgery is scheduled for July 19 and I was gung ho for the first week of my three week pre-op diet, but now I'm going over all the reasons it's bad.

I don't want to be the freak in the room who can only eat 1/2 cup of food. I don't want to never be able to eat a Snickers bar again.

I just want to magically be thin. Surgery seems so drastic, but nothing else has ever worked. I'm 252 - I've lost 6 pounds since starting the diet.

I'm hungry and I want to go eat myself out of house and home.

HELP!!!! Please. I'm also freaking out about dying on the table, even though I've read it's so safe. Anyone have any words of encouragement?

OMG we could be twins!! I am scheduled for July 19th also and am FREAKING out too!! LOL!!

I just keep thinking of the huge % of people who LOVE their band and feel that it was the right choice. I also look at the inspirational before and after thread and it calms my nerves.

Good Luck!!! :)

<p>Don't worry !!! I was in your shoes 3 months ago!! You can have a snickers bar, but a mini one!! It all depends on how tight your band is!! When I was really hunger I would eat sugar free pudding and that seemed to really stay with me , so then I was not that hungry. I was a 276 when I started and know I am 250. I would have never stayed on a diet that long and I am still losing!! </p> <p> </p> <p>I had never ever had any surgurys or been put to sleep! It was very easy!!!! I was very scared also but it went very fast and easy and no problems.</p>

Well, it is natural to be scared or apprehensive before any surgery. You know...you really know, I'm sure, there is no way to be magically thin or we'd all be there and the bariatric docs would all be out of business! I'm sure you know as well that the lap-band won't make you magically thin as well so I'm not even going to go in that. I have read on the board here that some others feel differently about the eating less food than I do. I could care less who sees me eat now. Sometimes I don't even eat at mealtime because I'm not hungry or I've already eaten. If people think I'm a freak, well so be it. At least I'm not trying to hide the wrappers of foods ...(mostly junk that I had gorged myself on) anymore!

Best wishes to you on whatever you decide but please try not to sabatoge yourself before you even have the surgery if that's what you decide to do. You're worth more than that!!

..oh and like the other poster said...you can have a little snickers (my very FAVORITE candy bar) now and then as well as other goodies....

I freaked out too....11 months ago....I even considered jumping off the operating table and running.

I didn't however and I am so glad I went through with it and 11 months later 82 pounds lighter. I am convinced that I'd still be 280 pounds PLUS, had I not gone through with this life changing surgery.

Good luck in your journey you two. I hope you find the success and happiness that many of us banded peeps have found.

What you are feeling is normal and natural....hugs.

Yes, it is human nature to be afraid of the unknown. I wanted the lap band more than anything and days before I was starting to doubt myself! It has been 7 weeks and I have lost 34 lbs.

As for eating.......CAKE............I could of eaten cake until I vomited! The day before surgery, I almost did.....puke that is!

I don't know how or why but I do not have the craving for it anymore. As for being the only one eating 1/2 cup of food, I went to a banquet 3 weeks post op........nobody pays attention to what you are eating. I sat with co-workers who knew I had the surgery and I had a bite of everything and gave them the rest!!!! People want your company and don't care about what or how much you eat!

Be strong. I'll bet 99% of all who have had this done would do it again!

Tori - I think most of us have been in your shoes. I'm not going to stroke you here, I'm just going to tell you to push thru your fear and JUST DO IT. Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you WILL BE SO FREAKING GLAD YOU DID. I had to do the same thing. I relied on the wisdom of all the great people here at LBT to get me through that nervousness stage. They were all saying the same thing: "I love my band!" They couldn't ALL be wrong!

I started crying after i read all the replys. My whole family on my mother's side has weight problems. She had her first heart attack at 48. I keep thinking - I'm only 20 years out from that. I don't want to go down the same route. Her sister, my aunt, died at 57 and she wasn't all that overweight. She carried extra weight around her stomach and butt and they say that's the bad areas. I'm hoping if I can do this and get through it maybe I can motivate a few more people in my family. We're all dying slowly from this and this is a disease, I don't care what anyone says. It's already killed my grandparents and my aunt who wouldn't have died if they hadn't been overweight.

I'm just nervous. And scared. But I'm still hopeful it all goes off without a hitch. I'm also hoping my whole overweight family doesn't still gorge every time I'm around them. THat's the hardest part for me is thinking about how I'm going to feel watching my loved ones eating everything I want to eat. Holidays are the hardest. And nighttime :)

...I'm also hoping my whole overweight family doesn't still gorge every time I'm around them. THat's the hardest part for me is thinking about how I'm going to feel watching my loved ones eating everything I want to eat. Holidays are the hardest. And nighttime :)

It's amazing how quickly that changes, I've only been banded a little over two weeks and I find myself looking at what people have on their plates and thinking, "How can they eat that much?" I do have moments where I am jealous of the amount of food people are eating. I used to actually like the full/stuffed feeling. But it's only fleeting and the, "Did I really eat that much once?" feeling seems to be there more than anything.

Fourth of July was hard, but I was still on full liquids. Though you do what you can to get through. I pureed a small can of baked Beans with a fat free hot dog and some Tomato juice and catsup and BBQ Sauce to make a Soup, VOILA! I have sort of a 4th of July meal, but still in liquid form.

It's amazing how quickly that changes, I've only been banded a little over two weeks and I find myself looking at what people have on their plates and thinking, "How can they eat that much?" I do have moments where I am jealous of the amount of food people are eating. I used to actually like the full/stuffed feeling. But it's only fleeting and the, "Did I really eat that much once?" feeling seems to be there more than anything.

Tori, this is soooooo true! I'm 3 months out and am practically grossed out when I see people eating mountains of food. I am NOT JEALOUS....I'm excited!!

Bandsters told me all this stuff pre-op but I found it hard to believe that it would apply to me too. BUT IT DOES. And it will apply to you as well. I know it's just hard to wrap your head around it now. BTW, it's 2:00p and I've been to the gym for a 2 hour workout and have only had a Protein drink for food so far. In the old days I would have had bacon, eggs, milk (for bkfst) and maybe 3 tacos, rice and Beans (for lunch) by now!!! And work out??? HA!! What a laugh!! I am a different person now and it's all because of the band and LBT.

Stick around.

I look at other peoples plates in disgust too. lol

I have never felt like a freak for not being able to overeat. I was worried too about the eating thing and not being able to eat my favorite foods again. You know what? I still can eat them. I just can't overeat them. As for the snickers bar, nine times out of ten now I don't even want it.