Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw my endocrinologist today. He was extremely happy with my progress. My A1C with NO meds was 6.0. It was 6.4 back in April (pre-op). He said today's still included some of the old sugars since I am still not 3 months out and A1C is generally a 3 month average. I am very happy with that! Cholesterol slightly high (with no meds) but he said that takes a little longer to come down and since I am now not considered diabetic (MUSIC TO MY EARS!!) my cholesterol goals aren't quite as stringent. He put me back on med but at half the dose from pre-op and expects to be able to take me off in a few months hopefully. And all my Vitamins were spot on. In fact, my Calcium and D was a little high - for me anyway because I have Calcium absorbtion issues that leads to kidney stones (long time pre-op issue), so I even get to cut back a little on Vitamins. B12 great but I have been exhausted and turns out thyroid is off again (as I anticipated). That's an easy fix as we just have to up my thyroid med slighlty which will hopefully fix the exhaustion along with coming up on 3 month surgervisary.

All in all a great visit! Can't remember the last time I actually looked forward to seeing a dr and getting on the scales! Bariatric surgeon appt next Tuesday so we will see if she has anything different to say, but I can't imagine she will. Happy dance!!!

Congrats! It must be a wonderful feeling. :) I just had my bypass on monday, and my first follow up is this coming wednesday. I hope everything looks as good as yours does. :) Keep taking care of yourself!

Congratulations. :) ;) :P :D ^_^ B) ;-)

@@Daisee68

This is what it is all about! Congratulations!!!

When your health starts improving like this all the other stuff is just added benefits.

You are doing so fantastic with your weight loss!

@@Daisee68 congratulations! What a huge NSV for you with your great labs! I can really relate, my A1C was 6.0 prior to surgery and at my most recent appt last week, it was 4.7 (I am 4 months post-op). While losing weight was been amazing, it is labs results like this that totally motivate me. Congrats again and I know you will keep watching that number go down.

Thanks everyone! @@butterfly23 that is amazing A1C !! Congrats!

And PS now I just really gotta get that "one too many bites" thing under control. Struggling with that but bad days are getting farther apart. Therapist asked me today if I still regretted thevsurgery and I could say no without any doubt. 11 weeks out now. Couldn't have said the 6 weeks ago.

Well done. You are on the way to great health !!!!!

I was just looking at my lab results again so I could send them to my bariatric surgeon (they were done by another dr) and I noticed that my endocrinologist had moved my diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes to RESOLVED! I thought he said something the other day about not being considered diabetic anymore but to see in writing in my medical records that this has actually been removed is just overwhelming. THIS is why I sought out WLS. And I knew that RNY can have a huge effect on diabetes but wow, in less than 3 months, I am now not considered a diabetic?! I think I will hug my surgeon when I see her Tuesday. She effectively cured me from a deadly disease - in less than 3 months! What motivation to keep up the hard work! I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face. I just don't think that I truly understood the impact until now...

That's so amazing, congratulations! I'm so so happy for you! <3

Saw my endocrinologist today. He was extremely happy with my progress. My A1C with NO meds was 6.0. It was 6.4 back in April (pre-op). He said today's still included some of the old sugars since I am still not 3 months out and A1C is generally a 3 month average. I am very happy with that! Cholesterol slightly high (with no meds) but he said that takes a little longer to come down and since I am now not considered diabetic (MUSIC TO MY EARS!!) my cholesterol goals aren't quite as stringent. He put me back on med but at half the dose from pre-op and expects to be able to take me off in a few months hopefully. And all my Vitamins were spot on. In fact, my Calcium and D was a little high - for me anyway because I have Calcium absorbtion issues that leads to kidney stones (long time pre-op issue), so I even get to cut back a little on Vitamins. B12 great but I have been exhausted and turns out thyroid is off again (as I anticipated). That's an easy fix as we just have to up my thyroid med slighlty which will hopefully fix the exhaustion along with coming up on 3 month surgervisary.

All in all a great visit! Can't remember the last time I actually looked forward to seeing a dr and getting on the scales! Bariatric surgeon appt next Tuesday so we will see if she has anything different to say, but I can't imagine she will. Happy dance!!!

did they say when they had to do more labs ? Like how many months out till next labs

I'm not sure. This was my endocrinologist and he will do my diabetes and thyroid follow up in 3 months but not sure about bariatric surgeon. I see her Tuesday and I'll find out. I think I see here again at 6 months so I assume she will do labs then also. I believe it is supposed to be labs at 3 months, 6 months and 12 months then annually after that.

First time poster here. I had my RNY surgery just about a month ago and had my first post-surgery follow-up last Thursday. Doctor basically confirmed that I was making excellent progress. I had already been taken off my blood pressure (BP) medicine just a few days after the surgery. That was fantastic since my BP medicine was my most expensive daily pill.

However, my blood sugars were still really high. I've ordered a control solution to check my glucose meter since the morning that I did the blood draw my glucose level was 147 but according to the labs my glucose level was 190. The blood draw was just 30 minutes after the 147 reading was taken, and I had been fasting in preparation for the blood draw. I am a little disappointed that I'm still having to take insulin (albeit a much lower amount than I was pre-op or even before I first met with my surgeon back in February), but they did warn me that since I've been diabetic since around 2002/2003 (and essentially went undiagnosed until 2006 since I refused to see the doctor and loved the weight loss I had as a result of being a hard core diabetic), I might still have to take some insulin for a while and maybe even still the rest of my life.

They didn't do a cholesterol check, but I've always kind of questioned my cholesterol results since they always came out great, but I've been on Crestor since 2006 as well. I'm hoping I can be taken off of that medication at some point. I do have an appointment with my endocrinologist at the end of this month so we'll see how things go between now and then.

Edited by DangerMouse007

@DangerMouse007 Welcome! I was not on insulin prior to surgery but I think it can take a little longer to adjust if you were using insulin. It is also a little early yet, so remember if you endo does an A1C, it may still be high because you will have so old sugars still in that 3 month average. I would ask your endo about running cholesterol too. My surgeon didn't do labs until 3 months and someone else I know that had bypass has a surgeon that doesn't believe in labs until 6 months. Your endo will likely run your usual tests, but don't hesitate to ask him to run other things. And hang in there and keep working the program. Your sugars will eventually come down as the weight comes off I am sure!